convertible advice for newborn

beachchick

What are your thoughts on going straight to a convertible for a newborn? I am currently looking at these models.

Graco Myride
Graco Nautilus

If you have any suggestions on others, please add!

ADS

tiggercat

The Graco Nautilus is a forward facing only seat, so scratch that one off of your list.

I went straight to a convertible with my daughter and it was fine, but chose to get an infant seat this time.

Are you expecting a big, small or average baby (or not a clue)?

Maedze

Going straight to a convertible for a newborn is a fine idea if you don't want/need the convenience of a bucket and your baby is not a multiple or expected to be premature or small for age.

However, the Nautilus is not a convertible. It's a combination seat. It's forward facing only seat, good for kids who are older than three or four years and don't need to be rear facing anymore.

Your child should be rear facing for 3-4 years, and then in a harness forward facing until s/he is mature enough to use just a booster (usually around 5 or 6)

Convertibles that fit newborns well AND get kids to a safe boostering age include the following:

Evenflo Triumph Advance
Graco My Ride 65
The First Years True Fit/True Fit Premier
Evenflo Symphony 65
Sunshine Kids Radian 65SL, 80SL, XTSL

The bolded seats rear face to 40-45 pounds instead of the standard 35 and are more likely to get you to 4 years rear facing :)

beachchick

The Graco Nautilus is a forward facing only seat, so scratch that one off of your list.

I went straight to a convertible with my daughter and it was fine, but chose to get an infant seat this time.

Are you expecting a big, small or average baby (or not a clue)?

Oops! I put the wrong option (didn't mean the nautilus) That is what I am switching my 5 yr old DD too.

My other option for a convertible would be Combi Coccoro. Both this one and the Myride look like they have enough of a good recline for a newborn. I am not worried about it fitting the 2+ age, as I will replace with another at that time.

My dd was 7lbs 6 oz 22 in... so about average weight, a little long.. this one is on track to be about the same.

Anyone with experience with the Combi?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Coccoro fits newborns really well.

However, the other ones mentioned will as well, as well as last longer, and some are less expensive. You mentioned a five year old, but are there other kids? The Coccoro, besides being stupidly cute, is very tiny and works well in three across situations, but if you have the space I'd go for a more cost effective seat.

Wendy

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I personally love my MR... with the infant padding, I think it would fit an average sized newborn very well. It's also going to last quite a long time; my above-average-sized dcb is just outgrowing it RF at 2y11m. Most of my other dck would have fit in it longer. So although you could buy another seat at 2, there's not really a reason, because it's a seat that many would switch TO at 2yrs to keep their children RFing. (RF is safest until age 3 or 4!)

Although the Coccoro is adorable, and I believe works well for a newborn, it will be outgrown sooner than the MyRide. If you're okay with that, and/or you have a tight situation, I believe that those around here who have it, love it.

Maedze

Unless you have a 3 across situation, I'd get a convertible that can actually keep your baby rear facing for 3-4 years or more, rather than putting you in the position of buying a bigger convertible two years from now (and then potentially a combination seat!)

zeo2ski

Like others have said, I'd consider a more cost effective, longer lasting convertible, so that later on you can go straight to a forward facing only seat or possibly a dedicated booster.

However, if you don't mind buying another convertible to continue to rear face baby in 2 years, go right ahead, the coccorro is well loved for using from birth! But it's not advisable to turn your child forward facing at the age when the coccoro is outgrown rear facing, so a bigger rear facing seat is definitely needed down the road.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC