Question Would you buy a new seat to RF a 3.5 y/o?

Ducky5306

My DS has been FF since he hit 34lbs around 18 months (I can't remember but it was between 17-20 months when I turned him) Well he was around 37-38 pounds when I got him a new seat (2 actually- GN and MA) But he had Rotavirus and lost some weight that he never really put back on and he is just getting over possible e.coli (we'll know for sure tomorrow) At the doctor this week he weighed...... 34 pounds fully dressed!! He is the same weight at 3 years 8 months as he was at 18 months! :eek: He is 41 inches tall and built just like his father (tall and thin) he doesn't look underweight (can't his see ribs or anything!) he is just thin! So would you buy a new RN and RF a 3.5 year old? is it even worth it at this point really? I'm selling his MA next month to a friend so i'll have some money for a new seat...

ADS

MANDY1234

I would but I have brain washed children would would give their right arm to RF lol I have asked my Payton (she will be 4 May 1st) if she wants a Nauti like my ODD is getting in the next few weeks...she says no mommy I was to sit backward in the green seat (Flora SLXT)

I would totally do it!! My kids love RF so much more than FF...

Ohh ETA: My MDD was FF from 12 months to 30 months. She has no probelm going RF again. I just talked to her about being safest in the car...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would, if I could afford it. If I could not afford it, I would not. My age is 4, when I let them choose which way they want to ride. (My 5 year old chooses to rear-face.) But a 3.5 year old forward-facing is by no means a tragedy if you can't/won't make room in your budget for a new seat.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would, if a) it wouldn't be a financial stretch and b) there was a possibility to pass the seat down to someone.

If you CAN, and you WANT to, there's no reason not to... but at that age you don't have to.

Then again, I've pretty much decided (after much debate and against common sense) I'm buying one to continue to RF 35mo dcb... although I know he'd be "okay" FF I'd really like to get him to 4. So I guess I'm not one to talk. BUT... I wouldn't put myself into debt to do it.

ETA: Have you asked him if he's interested? Can you try installing a seat RF in your car and letting him sit in it, and asking him? (Obviously not driving anywhere.) Since he's "borderline" anyways, that's a good bit of money to spend if he's going to fight you on it every time you get in the car. FWIW, I routinely RF kids who have long been FFing in their parents cars, without problem, but I also know that every child is different... and I'd be more inclined to buy an RN for a child who was interested in RFing than one who was going to pitch a fit about it.

laccaycol

I would and actually i just received my err i mean my sons new TWE for my DH's truck since i cant install a radian in his truck without us being pushed into the dash. The TWE works out great and we dont have to eat dash when we drive lol. My son is 3 years and 2 months. He has never been FF though so he doesnt know any different.

firemomof3

If I could afford it and if my dh wouldn't freak out...then yes I would BUT I have already promised dh that I will not buy anymore seats :crying:
My 2.5y/o is about 30-32lbs. and his Radian rf to 40lbs. so I'm hoping that he makes it to at least 3.5y/o rf :)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I personally would not, but I don't think it's bad or wrong. One of the reasons I wouldn't is that my daughter would not have been comfortable in the very-reclined Radian.

myliljunebugs

I would and I did with my 4 year old. :D She RF'd every day of her life til she was 3 and hit 35lbs, when the Radians came out I bought her one (at her request, I gave her the option of that or a Frontier) and she loves it, and tells me very often how much she loves her "comfy seat" ;)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Yes, absolutely, as long as I believed I would get 6 months use out of it, and at 34 pounds, that seems all but guaranteed. Now - I would only do so if the radian fit in my car, obviously. although at 34 pounds, i suppose you could go the MR or CA route as well.

mommy-medic

I want to! My almost 3 yo fluctuates between 28-33 lbs. I soooooo want a Flora XTSL. (anyone wanna buy a MA or BLVD with a bunch of spare covers??? :whistle: )

canadiangie

Yes, if I was able to afford it I would. Not because I think a ff'ing 3.5 y/o in a properly installed top tethered harnessed seat is unsafe but because I know that rear facing is still safER.

My oldest is 3.5 y/o and I'm more comfortable with her rf'ing. She will stay rf until at least her 4th birthday.

Ducky5306

I can afford it but I don't think right now there is a chance of passing it onto a sibling any time soon.. Maybe i'll go to BRU and try him in the CA or MR :thumbsup: He has a short torso (He is on the second from top shoulder slot on his MA) and he has been the same weight since 18 months so I doubt he'll be gaining a ton anytime soon! I think i'll install the MA RF today in my car since I can use it that way for my day(night, actually)-care babe and see how it goes! He HATED RFing when he was a baby but that was go long ago..

Thanks for the advice! :) I'll post pictures of how he fits in the CA and MR once I can get out to BRU!

I could even really have a RF and a FF seat in my car and let him choose each trip (RFing is so much easier he is going to fall asleep)

zeo2ski

I would if it was affordable. I will be ordering an XTSL later today for my 3y5m old DS at 39 lbs. If he had made it to age 4 in the XT (40 lbs), I may or may not have bought it, but probably would have anyway. My DS forward faced for a week about 9 months ago and HATED it, so he very rarely mentions forward facing.

I wouldn't keep a RF and a FF seat in the car though, I'd just make the switch to RF. As long as he doesn't hate it, there'd be no point in FFing him if you've bought the RF seat anyway.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC