This would suck.

remken

A co-worker at my husbands work just paid off his truck thats about 3 yrs. old. Since he no longer was required to have full coverage, he changed to just liability. About 2 wks later he hit a deer doing tons of damage and since he only has liability insurance wont cover anything.

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Ouch, bad timing. It seemed like my DH's 5 year old Saturn became a crash magnet right after we paid it off, but luckily we continued full coverage on it due to our family's bad track record with crashes over the last decade. If DH's car is hit again, it probably would be totaled even with minimal damage since it has depreciated so much already. :(

southpawboston

that is some pretty bad timing. dropping full coverage after only three years is generally a bad idea, since a 3-year old truck is still going to have a lot of residual value!

typically my rule of thumb is once the value of the car is less than twice the annual premium, it's a waste of money to pay for full coverage.

we dropped full coverage on our old mazda protege hit 8 years old, and within 6 months it got totalled with less than $2000 in damage. luckily for us it was deemed the other party's fault and their insurance paid out (after a major dispute and legal threats on our part).

Last edited:

skaterbabs

Yep, we don't have full coverage on any of our vehicles. The coverage would cost more than the cars.

Dillipop

We keep full coverage on our cars until they are worth less than $2000 because we figure we can replace that ourselves. More than that it would be really tough to cover a totalled vehicle and have something somewhat safe to drive. DH totalled our cavalier that was worth $2500 and after our deductible, we were able to get a car that lasted us another year and a half. If we hadn't had any coverage, we would have been a 1 car family for a long while, I think.

I can't imagine getting rid of collision on a 3 year old truck. It's still worth a lot and would need to be replaced if in an accident. Not very bright IMO.

Morganthe

I can't imagine getting rid of collision on a 3 year old truck. It's still worth a lot and would need to be replaced if in an accident. Not very bright IMO.

Completely agree! He wasn't weighing the damage/loss vs value costs. I kept full coverage on our truck for 6 years, then I had a policy under a German auto Liability insurance with additional coverage for 'Fire, flood, & Vandalism'. Since we lived between the train station & a major nightclub, I figured that it would be covered if someone got drunk & stupid. :D

I have our 1999 Camry fully covered because we're not in the position to replace that vehicle without going into major debt if something happens to it. Since dh's car is older, it's only under liability, the insurance costs balance out ok. We're also over 35, been with the same insurance company for over 7 years, no tickets, no accidents, non smokers, low mileage, car is garaged nightly, -- basically boring and bland people, so it's not that much more for full coverage insurance.

But I doubt my insurance would ever replace my carseats in case of an accident, so there is a trade-off in some ways. :cool:

broken4u05

That really would suck. Someone told me the other day that now at least in MD if you hit a deer you have to call the police because so many people would drive drunk and hit something and say it was a deer. So now i guess they need the dead deer to prove it? I dunno.

Dillipop

When I lived in Utah, I knew someone who hit a deer. He called the guy I was dating to pick him up. He was later cited because he left the deer on the side of the road. It was a hazard. I am guessing the law is being put in place so authorities can move the deer to an appropriate place, not for drunk drivers.:)

Haileys_mommy

We are only a 1 car family -for now- we have a 2002 jeep wrangler DF's(dear fiance') dream car lol he's a guy what can u expect, but we are getting married in April and hopefully i'll be getting my own car w/tax returns/deductions, but anyways, we have full coverage on the jeep & gap. so if anything were to happen to or IN the cars would be covered no matter what. especially the car seats. but i think i'll be doing libility cause we make pretty good money well DF does and we could afford the type of car that i would "deal" with lol.... and mind you we would have to find a car that would fit him in cause he is 6'10''

broken4u05

The person i was talking to said it was because drunk drivers but what you said makes more sence... It is better to have it moveg.

remken

My husband said tonight that he had the frame rebuilt I think or maybe he got a new one. Not sure but it cost him $3000 for it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC