Question Best Convertible Seat for a 05 Chevy Tahoe Captain seats

bstngrl578

Hi Everyone-

I looking for some suggestions on a convertible seat that would be FF'ing in my Tahoe that has 2nd row captain seats. I have not been able to find one that I am comfortable with that fit/installation. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks! :)

ADS

Maedze

First, can you provide information about the age, height and weight of the seat the child is intended for? :)

bstngrl578

Hello- it would be for my 13 month old son who is 29lbs. I currently have the MyRide 65 because I had every intention to keep him RF'ing for as long as possible but this has proved to be a challenge. He screams SCREAMS whenvever we are in the car and makes himself sick. I tried to put a DVD player there to have him watch a movie to calm him down but that does not work either. At this point I think I have to turn him around. SO any help would be great!

Maedze

Ok, well, you're not going to get any technician or advocate here saying that it's ok to forward face a 13 month old. :eek: It's just not. He's much too young, screaming or not.

For the time being, you need to do exactly what you would have done if he started screaming at 6 months old, and keep him rear facing, because that's the only safe option in the car.

It's actually REALLY normal for a child his age to go through this. All three of my kids did it, and it can last for a while. You have to grit your teeth and get through it.

Have you tried installing the My Ride more upright (REAR FACING) to see if he is happier like that? Toddlers generally prefer being upright and don't care to be reclined at 45 degrees like little babies do.

I would also try other things to keep him happy, like a sippy cup of water, brightly colored soft toys and books, music, etc.

Maedze

??? The My Ride should get you to three or four years rear facing, and then to five or so forward facing. The My Ride can be installed more upright forward facing and it will fit in your car fine. At that point you might need a combination seat, or you might be able to go straight to booster. In any case, 4 years is a long time in the car seat world, and I can't make recommendations not knowing what will be discontinued and/or what awesome seat will be available then.

Again, a forward facing seat is not appropriate now, and won't be for a very long time.

Evolily

Your child needs to rear face. It's a 500% increase in safety. Your convertible seat should take up no more room than an infant seat if it's installed more upright.

If you forward face him you are putting him at a greatly increased of head and spine injuries, like internal decapitation and traumatic brain injury. Which basically means his chances of surviving a survivable crash go down greatly.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmUWg7QrC8"]YouTube- The Importance of Rear-Facing: Version 2[/ame]

The AAP recommends rear facing to the limits of your convertible car seat, which should put your child between their 3rd and 5th birthday when the seat is outgrown by height or weight. At that point you can come back and we'll tell you what seats are available to forward face him in if you want a dedicated forward facing car seat.

firemomof3

I also went through the screaming fits with my 2 youngest and it was horrible :( So I feel your pain. It was never an option to turn them ff and they quickly got over the screaming. I was consistant & firm about them sitting in their car seats. All kids are going to test their parents, hold your ground and stay tough mama :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC