Flying alone with a 4 year old

dragonfly8

my almost 4 year old son and I might have to fly out of province a couple of times for medical appts (for him) in the next few months. I will be going myself with him. I have never flown with a car seat, but want to know ahead of time if it's a good idea, or if there are other options. He right now, weighs 37lbs. He is FF in a Radian. I do know that the radian is a heavy seat which concerns me, if I'm trying to look after him, our suitcase, a car seat etc by myself. Is he a ton safer in the car seat on the plane? Is the CARES system available here? Would that be an easier alternative for him? I've never installed a car seat on a plane before, is it simple enough to do?

Any advice or opinions appreciated!

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The issue is--would you have a seat on the other end, if you did use CARES? I really liked CARES on our last trip with our son. I packed his booster into our luggage ;) As long as you have a seat at your destination city, I would highly recommend it. If not--the Radian at least folds nice and small. You could also see if he still fits in the Scenera, since it's really quite light and relatively inexpensive. He's likely too tall for it, however.

I suspect that because motor vehicle laws are provincial, if you're an out of province visitor you can use a RideSafer at your destination. Another thing to consider.

Finally--if you do lug all that stuff yourself--two more in-airport options.. You can get an additional adult to assist you to the gate (airlines will issue this pass) and then hopefully have somebody meet you at the other side.. And I would highly recommend either a stroller that you can strap your carseat to (my Marathon fits great on my Maclaren Volo) or something like a Samsonite Micromover luggage cart, or a carseat wheelie cart.

-Nicole.

dragonfly8

I must be tired, I didn't even THINK of at the other end.............how terrible does that make me feel?????

The thing is, depending on where we end up (so far the Dr is talking about Toronto and/or Calgary), it might actually be cheaper to take a limo (flat rate) to the hospital than a cab. I'm not sure what would happen at that point. I'll have alot to look into, if we're admitted into a hospital room, if there's room for the car seat etc (I"m sure it wouldn't be a problem) to stay with us. If we stay in a hotel room, no big deal. Ronald McDonald house has been metioned too, in which case I don't know if I could leave it there without it going missing..................I have a bit to figure it all out, but don't want to leave it till the last minute. If we end up in Calgary, my sister in law lives there and she has young kids, so I'm sure she has a seat we could use.......or she could rent one from somewhere if need be.

If we go to Toronto, I'll be completely by myself with my boy on the other end. So the less I have the better. I'll look into the things you mentioned though...................keeping track of a 4 year old will be challenge enough!

If I can find someone to take my little son, I'm sure Grandma would come along for the appt with us............which would make things so much easier!

mommycat

If you take the Radian to have at your destination, definitely take a luggage cart or stroller it will sit in, and you can pile your carryon on top of it or maybe have your son ride. I found it too heavy for me to want it on my back or shoulder. The Scenera was an awesome travel seat if he would still fit in that, like Nicole mentioned. Or maybe pick up something like a Chase, not sure how that is for a travel seat but it is a lot lighter.

I would want to use a seat in either a cab or a limo (and IME the limos from the airport are just regular cars too).

How much "driving" would you be doing at your destination? How big/tall/heavy is your son? How would he do in a booster? I wouldn't normally want to suggest using a booster for a young 4yo but a CARES and a booster would be a nice option if it's just a matter of a ride to and from the hospital and you think he could sit well and fits in the booster properly.

dragonfly8

If you take the Radian to have at your destination, definitely take a luggage cart or stroller it will sit in, and you can pile your carryon on top of it or maybe have your son ride. I found it too heavy for me to want it on my back or shoulder. The Scenera was an awesome travel seat if he would still fit in that, like Nicole mentioned. Or maybe pick up something like a Chase, not sure how that is for a travel seat but it is a lot lighter.

I would want to use a seat in either a cab or a limo (and IME the limos from the airport are just regular cars too).

How much "driving" would you be doing at your destination? How big/tall/heavy is your son? How would he do in a booster? I wouldn't normally want to suggest using a booster for a young 4yo but a CARES and a booster would be a nice option if it's just a matter of a ride to and from the hospital and you think he could sit well and fits in the booster properly.

He currently weighs 37lbs and is 41" tall, but that is standing (we marked it on the doorframe). I will have to measure his torso length when he's home from his weekend at Grandma's house.
We would not be driving except for to and from the airport/hotel/hospital and back to the airport. My guess is when you're travelling from out of province for appts, they try to get you seen and back home as soon as they can. I don't really want to spend $$$ on yet another car seat, but will if I have to. Or I'll just manage with the radian and like mentioned, put it in a luggage cart thing.
I also have a True Fit, but I think that seat would be more a pain in the butt than anything..................although I do love it!
I'm not keen on putting him in a booster seat, but will if I need to. Maybe by the time we actually have these appts, he'll have gained enough weight to sit in one, only temporarily, but safely. 3 lbs is alot though for some kids. I doubt he'll make it to at least 40lbs in the next few months.

A question, is there a special strap that I'd have to buy for the radian? Or can I just use something else at all? Just to have in case there are no carts available? I may also take an umbrella stroller, he gets tired with super long walks, and if it's less $$$ to walk and we're nearby the hospital, we may just do that.

Last edited:

QuassEE

If you own a good travel stroller, check to see if your Radian fits in it, you can strap it down somehow (bungee?) and still buckle your child in. That's the solution we use most...and I've been flying with kids since 1995!

-Nicole.

dragonfly8

I have a cheap umbrella stroller, and a Joovy Caboose Ultralight, which I"m sure would not accomodate the car seat.
I'll figure it out. And hopefully we won't have to go out of province, but time will tell.

And at least I have all the knowledgable people here to help me figure it all out!

2BunniesMommy

No experience with it, but I have read on here that the Radian installs very easily ffing on planes. Also, you can get straps for it and wear it like a backpack, probably not comfy, but sounds easier than carrying it by hand and keeps your hands free for your son and suitcase.

I have no idea about the hospital rooms you may find yourself in, but in the hospital I work at the rooms are not very big and neither are the closets, but it would be easy enough to put a folded Radian in on.

I have luckily only had reason to be in a Ronald McDonald House once, so I am not sure if they are all set up alike, but when we stayed in one we had a room that we had a key to and no one else went in. I would have had no problem leaving a car seat in our room.

mommycat

You could probably use another strap from a duffel bag or something on the Radian, or even carabiner clips with ropes attached (lol) but just make sure it's strong and secure enough to not drop your seat on the ground, and that it is padded/broad enough to not cut into you too much.

hipmaman

Understandable that you don't want to leave it until the last minute, but honestly, until you know where your son will be sent, there are way too many variables and you'd worry needlessly at this point, imo.

I live in the suburb and half way between Toronto and Hamilton. I find going to hospitals in Toronto and Hamilton are 2 totally different experiences, let alone Calgary and Toronto with different laws, environments, etc.

Until then, we'll get more specific to help out more.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you are bringing a carryon suitcase, you could consider a Travelling Toddler strap. I used one our last trip (with a different seat) and it worked well. If necessary, if it had just been me and one kid, I am confident I would have been able to push kid in a stroller plus pull suitcase with carseat attached. (Also, I've often found that airlines have porters available to help you if you are overwhelmed, though policy on this varies by airport and airline. Phone the airline ahead of time and let them know you'll need assistance. See what they can offer.)

I also was able to strap Radians (two! But one would have been easier) into my umbrella stroller using adjustable bungee cords. I don't think I would then have wanted to put a kid, especially an older one in, but if you have an option for him being taken through the airport (if he's there for something medical, it's possible they can provide a wheelchair and someone to push it-- again, ask the airline.)

Here's a thread showing both options (Travelling Toddler and Radians strapped to umbrella stroller) in use, just to show you how I did it. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=106999

Morganthe

I flew from Abilene, TX - DFW - Seattle - Seoul, Korea r/t with a just turned 5 year old & a Radian ... ALONE :eek:

It was worth every bit of the hassle to have it, especially for the ability to sleep well. I had to gate check it for the Seoul/Seattle leg and dd could NOT get comfortable in the adult seats. They were just too large for her slender self.

I get to do air travel with her in July from Frankfurt - Seattle r/t. She'll have outgrown the Radian for almost a full year. I'm going to miss it. :crying:

So my vote is get a good luggage cart and use t he thing before, during, and after :thumbsup:

Some picts:

ry%3D400

Latch connectors made it secure for her to ride or pile luggage with the elastic strap.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

There was plenty of room for her to use the tray table. :thumbsup:
ry%3D400

hth & good luck :)

chay

I fly a lot (often alone) with 2 kids and I love my luggage cart. I have DD (1) on my back in a Babyhawk, backpack on my front with all of our carry on, 2 carseats strapped onto the luggage cart and then a hand free for DS (3.5) once I check our one big suitcase. I'm quite the sight going through the airport.

I love having them in their carseats on the plane. They're used to sitting in them for longer periods of time and they are comfy.

Make sure you get a TALL luggage cart. Mine is a tad on the short side which is fine for me since I'm small but 6'2" DH doesn't like it and the handle is right at the top of the seat unlike the previous pictures.

Best of luck.

chay

Oh and if you do end up parking at the hospital try to find their parking office (ask at their main desk) and see if they have frequent user passes, weekly or monthly rates and see what best suits your situation.

Our childrens for example is $13 a day (and even for a "quick" appointment I was usually close to the daily max). They have a Frequent User Pass that is good for 15 uses anytime, never expires and is fully transferrable for $45. Even if I don't use all 15 I'm still way ahead.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC