Why should my 6 yr old be in a high backbooster?

U

Unregistered

My DD's marathon is due to expire in a month & we're looking at boosters. Every single one of her friends is in a backless booster & when I tell other moms I'm looking at high backed boosters, I get the you're weird look. I'm having trouble articulating why a highbacked booster is what she needs. She's 41 lbs & 42". Now I'm beginning to 2nd guess why I should have her in a highback. Should I or not?

ADS

Maedze

My DD's marathon is due to expire in a month & we're looking at boosters. Every single one of her friends is in a backless booster & when I tell other moms I'm looking at high backed boosters, I get the you're weird look. I'm having trouble articulating why a highbacked booster is what she needs. She's 41 lbs & 42". Now I'm beginning to 2nd guess why I should have her in a highback. Should I or not?

Yes, you should. Backless boosters do absolutely nothing to provide any kind of side impact protection. A good high back reduces the risk of head and neck injury in a side impact, as well as helping the child remember to sit correctly, which means the belt is more likely to be in the correct position on the body during an impact.

Furthermore, a backless is unlikely to fit your child correctly unless you also use a shoulder belt adjuster, which can be more of a pain than a high back booster.

Last edited:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Another, less compelling but still valid, reason is that most backless boosters are rated at 40#. If she loses weight due to an illness or some other reason, she won't be legal in her backless.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
She never mentioned she has a turbo....

No back booster:
http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_...1/seitencrash/Baby_Sunny_touring_P3_vorne.mpg

Turbobooster like booster:
http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_seiten/kisitest_2002/videos/test2002/seitencrash/htsbesafe.mpg

Britax Parkway SG/Recaro Vivo/Sunshine Kids Monterey type booster:
http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_...ideos/test2002/seitencrash/concordliftpro.mpg

That's why a high back is good.

Plus a six year old is not immune from sleeping in the car. A high back offers someplace comfortable to sleep without a child slumping over (see my siggy pic). A slumped child is unsafe.

Now, for the occasional ride, I could see a six year old in a backless. Like for a ride with friends or a field trip. But for daily riding we don't recommend a backless until a high back has been outgrown. Every change, from rear to forward facing, harness to booster, high back to low back, and then finally to seatbelt alone, is a step down in safety. Nothing to rush into or be happy about.

Wendy

Kat_Momof3

and really, for such a small 6yr old, I wouldn't even use a backless as a spare... and if he's just now outgrowing the Marathon or especially if he still has grow room into it, unless asking for a booster AND mature enough to use one properly, I'd be tempted to get a seat to continue harnessing him, like the Graco Nautilus or Britax Frontier.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC