Question Finally decided but have questions...

Mom2March

Hi!
First time poster here but I've been lurking for a while now mostly reading reviews etc to help me determine our first Convertible Carseat Purchase.

Here's how it all went about. Questions at the end if you just want to skip.

Finally after reading, searching, price comparing, coupon watching, before and after Christmas sale stalking, I Made up my mind. At 4:30 AM yesterday morning (lol yes that early/late I couldnt wait!) I passed the Babe over to my Husband who had just gotten home from work, (we keep what would be a reverse sleep/wake schedule to most of you to allow Hubby some Baby time since he works late), bundle up in a few layers minus my feet which I just slide bare into a pair of knock off crocs..what??? I was in a hurry and this board has gotten me excited about it!! Off to WALMART.. the best place for a late night Carseat buying fix lol.
I had checked online earlier while hubby was still at work to see if the seat I had settled on was in stock at one of the two Stores nearby. Of course it would be at the one that was farthest from home. No worries, bit of a baby break for me:) First time stay at home mom to a 7 1/2mth old I take em where I can get em!
Back to the good stuff now, Get to the store, practically empty parking lot, nice, grab a front spot. Practically skipping through the door I grab a cart, not even minding that it had a wobbly wheel.. I swear they must have a homing device attatched to my car to know when to put all the squeaky, wobbly, pulling to the right or left carts out front in the lobby for me to get. As the baby department comes into view I start scanning the Carseat area there she was. ALMA, in all her pink and purple girlyness!(MyRide65). I've never really seen a Myride other than just glancing at the wall of Seat choices at several stores. Thankfully my time reading this forum helped give me some insight to what all I was looking at when I started looking the seat over. The model on display was very conveniently not tethered down to the steel like they usually are so I was able to really handle the seat and find all the key points that were addressed in several posts' here. I noticed first off that this display had the older infant insert, with only one slot level for the harnesses instead of two. Checked the DOM and it was from July of 09. Well since I know this is the seat that I want to try out first I hunt around for one in a box... nothing. Alma is apparently only up as display. 4 other Myrides were of the "other" pattern. I didn't even take time to recall the name.. I want my Alma! Being 4:30am and Walmart at that, I know I'm not likely going to be able to find someone to ask about it being in stock. So the search begins. LOL I must have looked like one of the crazies back there in my plum sweater coat, over a sweatshirt, lavender gloves, scarf,bright pink not-croc's, and sock-less digging around moving all those carseat boxes trying to look behind them for my Alma.... rofl.. wow I could have been on the front page of www.peopleofwalmart.com!! UGH I moved well more like just tilted to see behind practically every box. I was about to give up and try to hunt someone down and make them go look in the back lol.
As I was walking past the "Wall of Diapers" I see a large white box looking very out of place behind a stack of Red Huggies size 3 jumbo packs. There she was that sneaky little devil. My Alma! I pardon the Huggies outa my way and with a victory smirk plop the box into my cart. I even put the barcode side up so they could scan it to allow me to get home sooner to play :)

I make it home, sadly I must leave Alma waiting in the back seat to take in groceries. Though i think they would have been fine in the car it was so cold!

I didn't manage to get back out to "Alma" until later that day.I hope she doesn't hold a grudge against me for that:) I had to try to steal some time to snag my car's manual and Alma's manual from the box while I was attempting to put the baby down for a nap.. That ended up being a big fail. I ended up lying down with the baby,who's name is March btw, reading over the Latch Directions for my car and Alma.

Questions below::

When I was able to finally get Alma out of the box and got her acquainted with my daughter March I observed a few things. First off mine came with the new version of the Infant insert with the 2 harness positions (yay no calling CS for a replacement!!) , and second the DOM is Oct 14 2009....Not bad, but I was wondering if I had waited until they had one in stock for 2010 would I technically get another year out of her? It's only a 3 month difference but from what I read in the Manual it stated that the seat would expire DECEMBER 6 years from the DOM. Therefore DEC 2015. So I was thinking that if I had waited to get one with a DOM of 2010 I would have till DEC 2016. An ENTIRE YEAR longer. Is this right?? or is it 6 years to the month of DOM?

I just don't want my Impatience to have kicked me in the behind.

Oh btw Someone on here posted that their MyRide had a DOM of 09/09 and they had received the OLDER style Infant Insert with the single Harness position slots. Mine (DOM 10/09) has the updated version with the 2 slot levels. So they changed it right between those dates.

Speaking about inserts again.. When my DD is in the seat she is well above the first set of slots while in the insert and the second set is right below her shoulders. The manual states the when moving from the first to second slots you also have to change harness plate level in the back to the second loop. Now when I go to tighten down the harness on her, Since I changed the back loop per the Manual It doesn't seem to let me tighten the straps except to a certain point. This is leaving me with some pinching room in the straps. Would it be better to take out the insert and use the bottom slots to get so I can change back to the lower loop in the back to get her in there snug? I really wanted to use the insert for awhile for the extra padding and support around her head. Not to mention its a bit more cozy while its cold out. Maybe I've been over tightening her all this time and Alma has her finally right. I dunno! I'll take pic's when I'm able but it might be a bit.

Whats the safety difference as far as RF Center using Seatbelt install vs LATCH? I drive a 2007 Toyota Matrix and the manual shows that the latch system is for the outboard installs. Though it never states anything about using or not using LATCH for the center position.

The MyRide65 Manual states that its "recommended" to not use the latch unless they are a max of 11 in apart from the center of the LATCH hook. Now, I haven't measured yet but I just wanted to know if it was safer to keep her in the center using the Seatbelt (as long as I can get it tight and snug) or should I move her to Passenger Outboard? My gut says keep her in the center but I just want to check.

Also whats the recommendation about the Carseat touching the back of the front seats? I've only skimmed info on this so I know very little about it

What's this thing I hear about Borrowing? Something to do with using the LATCH in the center anyways though its meant for outboard??

My DD (March) is 7 1/2 Mths old, about 28 1/2-29 inches head to foot, and right around 19-20lbs but not over yet. Shes in a SR 22 (DOM 07) .. limit of 22 lbs but has a good 3 inches of shell above her head in it. I figured she'd hit the weight limit before hitting the height max. Unless she hits a growth spurt and starts crawling herself thin at the same time! You can never tell! Anycase I wanted to go ahead and have the seat on hand and possibly her already using it in case she changes overnight .. my luck lol! Lets just hope it fits into my car!

All in all.. Once I saw my sweet DD in the new seat, I got this overwhelming emotion.. I'm not ready for her to move out of her "Baby Seat"!! It's a big step for her(me lol) to go to her "Big Girl" seat. She may be ready.. but I'm not. I keep contemplating on whether I want her to stay in her SR22 until she gets to the limit or go ahead and switch her. In the end I want to do what is safer for her. So folks which will I be doing? Keeping her in her sweet little, I came home from the Birth Center in this seat, I found my feet in this seat, I love to be rocked in this seat, Baby Seat or moving her into Alma the Myride65 and getting with the fact that my baby is growing up already..Lord help me and those around me when she has her first day of school!!

Sorry this was a novel. I was killing time.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Okay, let me try to get all the answers...

First, yes, Graco seats go by Dec. of the 6th year, so if you got a Jan. 10 seat you would probably get an extra year. However, as you noticed it takes a few months for new seats to make it to store-- so probably in late Feb.-Mar. is when those Jan. manufacture dates will start hitting.

Second, you should always follow the rules in the manual. So if it's too loose on the second slot, yes, I'd move back down to the first so that you can get it tight enough.

Third, Toyota does not allow "borrowing" the LATCH for the center. That means using LATCH in the center using one hook from each outboard dedicated position, when the center is not a dedicated position. You may only use LATCH outboard in your car. If you are able to get a tight install with the seatbelt that is just as safe as LATCH, so use the seatbelt to install in the center-- it's the safest position in the car, and center with seatbelt is recommended over outboard with LATCH if you have your choice of positions, and no reason that you prefer the outboard position other than the LATCH, and the seatbelt gives a good installation.

I believe the MyRide is allowed to touch the front seats IF the car allows it. Do you have advanced airbags? If so you may not have it touching. If not, it's allowed. Check your vehicle manual to find out-- the warning about not touching the back of the front seats, if it's there, will be in the airbag section.

It sounds like your daughter still fits in her infant seat, so when you move her is your choice. Just remember that her weight, for purposes of the seat being outgrown, is weight WITH a full diaper and clothes on. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC