TB armrests and screws (again. sigh)

babyherder

I've been telling any parents I know that have TBs that they need screws in the armrests and have been offering to put them in (I have a bunch of extra I ordered from Graco). However, the most common response is "I had such a hard time getting the armrests in/adjusting them! I don't see how they could ever come out." So, do we know exactly how the armrests fail without screws? Any research, facts, ideas? I just figure its little to no trouble to put the screws in so why not but other people seem to need more.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
No. They won't really tell us much more than "Our engineers say that they must be in." Something about crash performance or integrity or something.

It really ticks me off that they don't just SEND THEM ASSEMBLED. At least big honkin' warning labels about the screws needing to go in would be a step in the right direction.

tjham

I agree! The lower setting is not good so why not just finish it off on the high setting?

I ordered some for my son to put in my granddaughter's spare TB which he had gotten from her mom. I gave them to him and told him to put them in. He said he would. It just got left here and...no screws. :eek: I got out my extras and could NOT get one to go in. I looked at it again and discovered the arm rest had been put in the wrong sides! Yeah, the right one on the left side, and vice versa.
HOW did she do even that? :rolleyes: It took a lot of tugging and grunting to get them out. I may have left them in, they were so tight, but they were stuck on the lowest level. I finally got them out, reversed them and put in the screws. It's amazing how people will "screw" things up, pun intended! ;)

babyherder

Thanks for the info ketchupqueen. Sigh. Stupid Graco. Make a really great product with one little flaw that turns into a big deal!!!!:mad:

I usually put the screws in myself when I can. I've only been able to do it for my little cousin so far (I offered for a family I babysit but mom wasn't interested so I won't bring it up again) and it was almost impossible. Plus I had to let him help me screw so checking his seats was still fun for him. But he seemed to like it. It was cute.

tjham, yikes about the backwards armrests! How could they even fit:confused: But glad they're fixed now!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
We don't know exactly what will happen, but what *could* happen if the armrests come off in a crash (and people vastly underestimate the power of crash forces -- they are way more than even a reasonably strong adult can exert manually) is that without the armrests holding it down, the lap belt will ride up and crash forces will be directed into soft tissues and internal organs.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, I think people just have NO IDEA the amount of crash force exerted on even a booster in a crash. Pushing with 20 pounds of force with your hand is nothing compared to thousands of pounds of force on the seatbelt in a crash, and the seatbelt pressing into the armrests. I can't find the link right now, but there's one on NHTSA that shows just how dented and crushed a booster gets in a bad crash.
That said...they do seem like awfully little screws, and for my own edification I sure would like to see crash tests both ways... I surely hope that the seats aren't toooo dangerous without them, since barely anyone uses them (after 6+ years and millions of seats sold, I guess it's good we haven't seen a lawsuit for an injured child, huh?)

babyherder

I guess its good we don't hear about kids injured in them. I know crash forces are more than anyone can ever imagine. I was in a fender bender when I was around 11 and was shocked by the force of the crash which was really only a bump. I think that was when I really got it about how dangerous crashes were. I wonder if the plastic armrests would just rip right through the screws?

Niea

I can see why the screws are necessary. The plastic is kinda soft and I could see the little tabs breaking off in the event of a collision. The screws, of course, are there to keep the armrests in place even if the plastic were to break. My DD occasionally rides in a TB and she does need them on the lowest setting, so I'm thankful they are adjustable. I do agree that the screws are a pain and often forgotten, so I wish that Graco would change the design slightly and make the tabs and surrounding area out of a material that won't break (like metal). That way, the basic design can remain but no additional screws would be needed. I know using metal might raise the cost slighty, but it's worth it if it would eliminate the biggest misuse with the TB.

Kat_Momof3

I don't see why they don't just make one small change to the design and make the armrests fixed (like the evenflo AMP, clek Olli, etc)... with no need to pop them in (some people will leave them off, so this would be one less way to misuse the seat), and no need for screws.

babyherder

I would like that! And then maybe the old TBs would go on clearance and I could get one cheap! I'll put the screws in. Annoying but no big deal.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC