Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

reardonke

What's wrong with Toyota SUVs?

Hi

We are looking at buying a new Toyota SUV for our family. We have 2 boys - age 3 and less than 1. I would like to be able to buy a Toyota because of their reliabilty and they hold their value. However, it doesn't look like they made the list of recommended family cars.

I am also interested in having a car that will fit three car seats across with additional (third row) seating for adults. As well as additional room for cargo. We travel a lot with A LOT of gear. We are looking at the Sequoia and the Land Cruiser.

Thanks
    Karen

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

West of the "upside down horseshoe", Missouri

Re: What's wrong with Toyota SUVs?

I don't know about the Toyota SUVs, but have you considered either the Nissan Pathfinder or Armada, or the Honda Pilot? Those three SUVs have third row seating for adults, and in the case of the Pilot, have a LATCH system for the second and third row of seats.
    James--'03 Starlight Silver Metallic Honda Pilot EX-L and '99 Ficus Green Pearl Honda Prelude Type SH
    The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred...--Soichiro Honda

What list of "Recommended Family Cars" are you talking about exactly.

My thoughts are if you like the vehicle then it should be on your families "Recommended Car List" LOL

Let see, I have a owned a Toyota 4-runner and LOVED it. My boss has a Sequoia and LOVES it!! I have actually got to drive it several times because I use to nanny his two kids. I have taken it on a couple road trips also.

You are definitely going to be getting reliability and overall great customer satisfaction with Toyota, and of course they hold their resale value considerably!

If gas mileage is a concern for you then I would recommend the Toyota Highlander(Hybrid), or Honda Pilot.
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

reardonke

Thanks for replies.

I was referring to this list of recommended vehicles
    http://www.suvsafety.info/

After looking at that list, the Honda Pilot has this: "Editor's Choices are in italics". I'll take a gander the reasons are below:
    --airbags, side and curtain-front are dual-stage/dual-threshold, while sides have the Passenger-Side Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS), which detects the height/seating position of the person. It deactivates if it detects a small person (ie: child)
    --4WD (optional for LX and EX models)
    --Vehicle Stability Assist
    --3-point belts all-around
    --third row seating
    --LATCH anchors
    --rear camera for backing up (NAV-equipped Pilots only)

This link in that site helps as well: http://www.suvsafety.info/thirdrow.html
    James--'03 Starlight Silver Metallic Honda Pilot EX-L and '99 Ficus Green Pearl Honda Prelude Type SH
    The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred...--Soichiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    and in the case of the Pilot, have a LATCH system for the second and third row of seats.
    I have a 2006 Pilot and only have 2 LATCH anchors in the second row.
    IT does however have tether anchors in all seating positions for the 2nd and 3rd row.
    Lysandra
    CPST, LLLL and SAHM
    Mia 13, Ian 10, Clek Olli x2, TB and BubbleBum

Quote Originally Posted by lodonal65 View Post
    I have a 2006 Pilot and only have 2 LATCH anchors in the second row.
    IT does however have tether anchors in all seating positions for the 2nd and 3rd row.
    Sorry for the misinformation. I have a child on the way (in about 4 months), so until then I should've better inspected the LATCH anchors and familiarize between it and the tether anchors.

Senior Community Member

My guess would be that it's because it doesn't look like there's any recent crash test data on either the Sequoia or the Land Cruiser. On the Informed for Life website, both are unrated for lack of adequate data for both 2006 and 2007. Of course, they might still perform well in a crash, but perhaps folks creating such lists are uncomfortable recommending them without that kind of data? Take a look for yourself: www.informedforlife.org.
    DD#1 (7 y, 5 mo, 54 in, 68 lbs ) Clek Olli
    DD#2 (4 y, 2 months, 43 in, 42 lbs) Britax Marathon