Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Would you...

CPS Technician LuckyFins3Lil'Fish's Avatar

Would you...

put a soon to be 4yo (Feb 3) into a HBB for temporary use? At last check, about 3 months ago, he was 45lbs & 47". It would be a seat for DH's car which he rides in maybe 2-3 times a month for maybe 10-30 minutes at a time.

MSK said she's has a spare Apex 65, but I hate to take her spare.
    DS: 2-3-06 Boostered in a Diono Monterey. DDs: 3-21-08 FF Evenflo Big Kid Amp & Britax Frontier 85 Booster Mode
    Children are unpredictable. You never know what inconsistency they're going to catch you in next. ~Franklin P. Jones

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Advocate

Re: Would you...

No, I wouldn't.

If it were DIRE circumstances, you do what you have to do. But for a secondary vehicle, when there are other options, and we're talking about extended trips (30 minutes is NOT a short amount of time when you're talking 3-4 years old), I don't think the risk is worth it.

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

I wouldn't unless it was unavoidable (which it's not, in this situation). Also, haven't you mentioned behavior issues in the past? (Forgive me if I'm mis-remembering. ) If so, I'd say it's pretty unlikely that he's close to ready for booster training at this age. I'd take MSK up on her Apex offer, or switch seats around as needed, or scrounge up the money for a spare harnessed seat.
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

Okies. I was thinking he likely wasn't ready either (plus DH isn't uptight as me to make sure DS is sitting right). I'll talk to MSK about her Apex until I can afford to get one for him.
    DS: 2-3-06 Boostered in a Diono Monterey. DDs: 3-21-08 FF Evenflo Big Kid Amp & Britax Frontier 85 Booster Mode
    Children are unpredictable. You never know what inconsistency they're going to catch you in next. ~Franklin P. Jones

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyFins3Lil'Fish View Post
    I'll talk to MSK about her Apex until I can afford to get one for him.

I think you'll feel better with him in the harnessed seat anyway.
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

I do believe I agree!

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Your instincts were right on on this one.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!