Side curtain air bags

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
After seeing the Dateline from the other night on the IIHS side impact tests of small SUVs, I've got some questions. How tall are side curtains? It looked like the 12 yr old dummy they used was on the short side and I wonder if a side curtain would even come down far enough to protect a small passenger.

For the side air bags that aren't curtains, how far up the side do they go? My 6'5" dh brought up a good point that his head generally brushes the roof of any car he rides in. Would an air bag even be high enough to protect his head?

Hehe, I made dh watch the crash tests and I'm hoping to convince him of the usefulness of side air bags, which we don't have in either of our vehicles. He's always been on the side of safety and is definitely convinced--I'm just trying to convice him we need 2 new cars, lol!

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It varies a lot-

If possible, you really need to scour a manufacturers website to find photos of the fully inflated airbags. Some side curtains extend from the ceiling to below the glass, covering all window area. Some standard side airbags only cover the torso, others only the upper glass for the head.

Our next vehicles will have side impact airbags for all rows...

mamamia

THat dateline made me glad about our decision to purchase side curtain airbags for all 3 rows is our Sienna. BTW me and a friend are going to try to max it out in about an hour with 5 car seats and two double strollers. I will let you guys know if it is a good van for 5 kids (2 RF infants, 2 FF toddlers-one in a combo seat, one in a FPSE, and a Breverra in BPB mode)

mamamia

dang, it didn't work!

We couldn't get all 5 kids in the SIenna. I think we could have if we tried a few more configurations, but it was easier to just take two vans! We tried to have the FF FPSE, then the LATCH CarGo and the the Breverra in BPB mode in the 3rd row. I think we could have got it if the Breverra was in harness mode, but there was no way the 5 year old would have got the belt buckled with the other 2 seats installed. I am pretty sure we would have fit 3 seats across the back row if we moved the RF infant or RF toddler back there, but we were late on time.

My friend has a 2003 Sienna-talk about unfriendly in the child restraint department. Only 2 lower anchors positions. The tether anchor for the captians chair behind the driver is in the most ridiculous spot. If you use it no one can sit in the third dow seat behind the captains chair except maybe a RF child.

The seat belts on the 2003 start ratcheting in no matter how far out you initially pull out the belts. This does not happen in my van. In order to lock the belts around the child restaint you can just put the seat it tight, then pull the belt all the way out and then let it go. THis negates the need for constant rethreading.

So, I remain quite happy I went with the 2004 model over the 2003. Also 2 Graco duoGliders fit in the back of my van with room at least for another Duoglider!

MyLittleTyke

Senior Community Member
I have a 2003 Sienna and am very happy with it. I do not have the problem with the seat belts ratcheting that you mentioned on your friend's van, but I do hear you on the tether/LATCH issue. I got 4 seats in my van the other day. I had a rf'ing seat in the middle back next to a booster and another child who didn't need a booster, and 2 seats in my captain's chairs. It was a tight fit, but everyone was very safe. I'm glad you are happy with your van.

Sara

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC