Radian XT vs Radian Premier

ADS

sparkyd

Just thought I'd mention (so you aren't surprised when you get your seats) that the headwings don't go all the way down for use with the bottom two harness positions (someone please correct me if I'm off - I think it is just the bottom two). I don't know how tall your son is or what heights tend to go with which slots on the Radian (I'm also considering getting one at the moment), so it may not be an issue at all, but I just thought I'd mention it so you are aware. ;)

I'll likely get an XT, but I only need one seat and don't mind paying $30 for a little extra head protection. And I kind of want a red one. If I needed more than one I might make a different choice.

ETA: It occurs to me that it might also be worth warning you (since you won't see in person before buying) that the headwings on the Radian XT aren't soft and cushy like you might think. They are pretty solid. One might say hard. I was surprised myself, so just thought I'd mention it.

Mommy090804

I am not sure if you want to hear this, but there may be other options to consider. ;)

You already have two Marathons, and your stated reason for purchasing a new seat is to keep your little one RFing. However, you have noted that he rides in one car 95% of the time, and the other car 5% of the time. It would make sense to me to spend the money to buy a Radian XT :)love:) for the primary car, but not for the second car. There are other seats to consider that would keep him RFing longer that are not as expensive. An example is the Graco MyRide. Unless you are absolutely sure that you are going to need three carseats across in your secondary car, you may not need another Radian in that vehicle.

Another option to save money was to turn him FFing in the second vehicle, but try to use the primary vehicle most of the time (eg. DH would take your car if he had to transport DS). HTH and good luck with your decision! (I'm very indecisive too :))

Amber Bamber

Dude! I just had my mind made up!! :dizzy:

LOL

OK, so do you have a good link to this True Fit? I see www.babyproofingplus.com carries them, but they don't list much in the way of RFing limits and such.

I think I've written off the Graco My Ride. That monster is still $220 here and only goes to 40 lbs - versus 45 lbs for the Radian. That 5 lbs could give my little guy an extra year!

And yes, I have visions of three wee ones all in a row riding in the back seat of my car. I just might be delusional. :eek:

Mommy090804

OK, so do you have a good link to this True Fit? I see www.babyproofingplus.com carries them, but they don't list much in the way of RFing limits and such.

I think I've written off the Graco My Ride. That monster is still $220 here and only goes to 40 lbs - versus 45 lbs for the Radian. That 5 lbs could give my little guy an extra year!

And yes, I have visions of three wee ones all in a row riding in the back seat of my car. I just might be delusional. :eek:

(Just in case you haven't seen it, the first thread in the Canadian Forum lists all the seats available in Canada, with the specs as well. :thumbsup:)

The True Fit RFs to 35lbs. If you definitely want to keep him RFing until 45lbs in both vehicles, then go with your decision of one XT and one Premiere. See, it's really that easy!!;)

Have you decided on a cover??

Amber Bamber

(Just in case you haven't seen it, the first thread in the Canadian Forum lists all the seats available in Canada, with the specs as well. :thumbsup:)

The True Fit RFs to 35lbs. If you definitely want to keep him RFing until 45lbs in both vehicles, then go with your decision of one XT and one Premiere. See, it's really that easy!!;)

Have you decided on a cover??

Oh dear!....no!

I love "petal" and "flora" but I think DH (and later DS) would kill me!

NewfieMoma

I was born in Corner Brook, and raised in Rose Blance till I was 4. I live in Brampton Ontario now. Oh How I wish I was back there.

I only mentioned the Radian 65 cause it is like the Premiere, EXCEPT that in the US that the Premiere is called the Radian 80 and goes to 80lbs. IMHO the Radian 65 and the Priemire is the same seat just the Premier comes with the infant insert.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I only mentioned the Radian 65 cause it is like the Premiere, EXCEPT that in the US that the Premiere is called the Radian 80 and goes to 80lbs. IMHO the Radian 65 and the Priemire is the same seat just the Premier comes with the infant insert.

There is actually a different in the frame performance between the Radian65 and Premier/XT. According to source at SK Canada, all Radians have same platform and basic plastic parts, but the steel in the Premier/XT is stronger and more durable.

triscuitsmom

Oh dear!....no!

I love "petal" and "flora" but I think DH (and later DS) would kill me!

Not necessarily... we let our oldest son pick out any colour he wanted (before the new ones came out) and he picked Malibu which is pink with white flowers. Now that the 2010 ones are out we asked him again which one he liked best (my favourite is Flora) and he picked Petal :thumbsup:

NewfieMoma

There is actually a different in the frame performance between the Radian65 and Premier/XT. According to source at SK Canada, all Radians have same platform and basic plastic parts, but the steel in the Premier/XT is stronger and more durable.

I didn't know that. Thank you :) Excuse for me to by *another* new seat??? LOL

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The My Ride was recently on sale at Tummies to Tots for $189.99 (with free shipping) and at TRU/BRU a little while back for $189.99. Sears.ca also has it now (not sure if Sears in store does) but Sears always has sales so it should be on sale there eventually. Wal-Mart has also started to carry it in the Edgemont Dots pattern and I believe someone said that regular price was under $200. Just throwing it out there in case value was the only thing deterring you from it. We own two of them (just replaced two True Fits) and DD loves them.

I couldn't get an acceptable install with a Radian in my vehicle, unless DD was willing to be quite reclined and the front passenger liked being close to the dash. I also didn't like how loose the Radian install felt in my vehicle. I would most definitely try the Radian in person before purchasing or ordering online. It can be a tough seat to install in certain vehicles and most of the online baby stores here will charge you the original shipping cost once you return (even if it was free shipping to start with) plus the cost of shipping it back (so let's say $30 for you to ship it, then they take $30 off your refund for original shipping cost) and then some also charge restocking fees.

Amber Bamber

The My Ride was recently on sale at Tummies to Tots for $189.99 (with free shipping) and at TRU/BRU a little while back for $189.99. Sears.ca also has it now (not sure if Sears in store does) but Sears always has sales so it should be on sale there eventually. Wal-Mart has also started to carry it in the Edgemont Dots pattern and I believe someone said that regular price was under $200. Just throwing it out there in case value was the only thing deterring you from it. We own two of them (just replaced two True Fits) and DD loves them.

I couldn't get an acceptable install with a Radian in my vehicle, unless DD was willing to be quite reclined and the front passenger liked being close to the dash. I also didn't like how loose the Radian install felt in my vehicle. I would most definitely try the Radian in person before purchasing or ordering online. It can be a tough seat to install in certain vehicles and most of the online baby stores here will charge you the original shipping cost once you return (even if it was free shipping to start with) plus the cost of shipping it back (so let's say $30 for you to ship it, then they take $30 off your refund for original shipping cost) and then some also charge restocking fees.

Hmm... :(

Frig.

There's no where here that carries the radian. Like, literally, no where. So I can't exactly try it out before ordering on-line. I'll order one, then. And make sure it fits both cars. It's bound to fit at least one car, right? Both vehicles are fairly large. A '99 Hyundai Sonata (DHs) and a '06 Buick Allure (mine). Maybe I should post on one of the main boards to see if anyone has had any issues installing Radians in these cars?

I may have to stop feeding Jesse for a couple of weeks so he doesn't gain any more weight and I don't have to turn him FF in his Marathon in DH's car.....

dogmelissa

But they're rated to the same weight ratings..... :confused:

Oh, no.... I'm thinking about the Premier & the XT, the 65 is only rated to 40 lbs RF.

Sunshine Kids could really help a lot of people out by coming up with some less confusing names for their seats. Cause Radian65 and Radian XT have *very* different specs for RF but they *both* go to 65lbs max. And then there's the Premier fitting in the middle for RF but still with that 65 lb limit. They should just call the Radian65 plain old Radian, then come up with different names for the other 2, or something.

Sorry, vent over.
Melissa

myliljunebugs

If it helps, it will definitely install well in the Sonata (what I have) but I don't know about the Buick...might check out the Radian Successful Install Thread? GL! I :love: my XT SL btw :D

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Hmm... :(

Frig.

There's no where here that carries the radian. Like, literally, no where. So I can't exactly try it out before ordering on-line. I'll order one, then. And make sure it fits both cars. It's bound to fit at least one car, right? Both vehicles are fairly large. A '99 Hyundai Sonata (DHs) and a '06 Buick Allure (mine). Maybe I should post on one of the main boards to see if anyone has had any issues installing Radians in these cars?

I may have to stop feeding Jesse for a couple of weeks so he doesn't gain any more weight and I don't have to turn him FF in his Marathon in DH's car.....
Mine's a mid-size SUV and it still wouldn't work for me outboard. It would be fine in the centre, but DD would have to be at a 45° angle which is way more reclined than she wants to be at almost 3.5 years (and more reclined than she wants to be since about 18 months old!). The Radian doesn't make it easy to get the seat upright. I believe there is a thread around here called something like "successful Radian install thread". Hopefully someone here can chime in with the link. You may find someone has already got a decent install in your vehicle.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I have the KIA Magentis which is apparently either has the same or similar platform as the Sonata and the XT installed well rf in the centre.

Amber Bamber

I have the KIA Magentis which is apparently either has the same or similar platform as the Sonata and the XT installed well rf in the centre.

Would the fact that my Sonata doesn't have LATCH be an issue?

OK, so this leads me to a rather silly question...

I was told (when having my bucket seat install checked way back before Jesse was born) that I could have a RFing seat in the center position, since I have one of those arm rest thingies that come down between the two outboard seats. So I've always had Jesse RFing in the passenger side. Is this not the case?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC