Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Interesting...Radian/Marathon and Radian/Radian

So, I had 3 across in my Forester. RF scenera outboard passenger, Radian XT center, Marathon outboard driver. The Marathon puzzled over the Radian. It all BARELY fit and it really was not fun to get in there.
    DH finally realized what a PITA it was so he agreed to buy a bigger car. Unfortunately for me, a minivan wasn't an option for him so we ended up with an 08 Subaru Tribeca. (7 passenger). The center bench is about 5 inches wider than the Forester.
    So I put the same 3 seats in, same configuration. The only difference was that I could now get the Marathon NEXT TO the Radian instead of over the top of it.

Well, after watching the TC crash tests on the FF Marathon, I felt it important to get DD into a safer FF seat, especially because she is the one outboard. So I purchased another Radian. XTSL in Flora. It arrived last night (DD LOVES IT!!!). I installed it. (BTW, it doesn't install RFing in case anyone was wondering).

I found it very interesting that it takes up the SAME shoulder space as the FF Marathon did. It would NOT have fit in my Forester. The biggest difference is that there is now about 5 inches in between the BASES of the seat so I can buckle/unbuckle easier. But really, it didn't save me any real room. I'm totally fine with it. DD loves it. It's lower profile makes it possible for her to climb in herself (since I'm not supposed to pick her up). And I feel better knowing she's in it instead of the Marathon, I just thought it was interesting.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Interesting...Radian/Marathon and Radian/Radian

That's because the Marathon puzzles right over the Radian. If you put 2 Marathons in there, you would SEE the difference in the seats' sizes. But with a Radian/Marathon, it puzzles SO PERFECTLY, you don't really see the difference. In some cases you can actually fit Radian/Marathon/Radian where you cannot fit 3 Radians (all the same direction) across.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Re: Interesting...Radian/Marathon and Radian/Radian

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    That's because the Marathon puzzles right over the Radian. If you put 2 Marathons in there, you would SEE the difference in the seats' sizes. But with a Radian/Marathon, it puzzles SO PERFECTLY, you don't really see the difference. In some cases you can actually fit Radian/Marathon/Radian where you cannot fit 3 Radians (all the same direction) across.
    Yup! I thought it was VERY interesting! Too bad the MA isn't the best FF seat and the RN isn't an option RFing in my car