I'm nervous about getting certified.

Mae

Now that I'm officially signed up to become a tech, I'm getting really nervous. I don't think I'd fail, but I'm nervous that I won't do well. :sigh:

How is the class? I'm nervous about talking to the parents. I'm afraid that since I'll have so much information that I won't be able to clearly, without it becoming a big jumbo mess, explain things. I know there's a section taught about talking to parents, but still.

And what if I can't install a seat? I have enough problems with my own True Fit! Wouldn't that be embarassing.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You'll only be talking to the parents during the check, and the instructors will be there to guide you along.

Most people who have hung out here do just fine. I wouldn't stress too much. Enjoy yourself!

Wendy

CommMom

Senior Community Member
I was really nervous about the talking-to-caregivers part too...which is weird for me since I've got a M.A. in communication (will have a PhD once I finish my dissertation) and I totally groove on the college classes I teach. I'm not a wallflower when it comes to speaking in public. But for some reason, I was totally intimidated by the idea of having all this info in my head and getting it out to caregivers in a manner that made sense and privileged the important info for the particular situation!

What I did was make sure I wasn't shy about asking the instructor to demonstrate. When we talked about BSC and locking clips for example, the in-class demos were on sample belts in the room...when we practiced in the cars, I asked the instructor to demonstrate on a real seat so I could see it more clearly. Hehe, I'm surprised they weren't tired of me by the time it was over..."I'm having trouble with this infant bucket base, can you show me your prefered technique?" "Can you demonstrate the best way to get this installed without the base?" etc. I had about half a million practical questions. You should get to play with plenty of seats in class too.

Similarly, when I participated in my first seat check (our "community seat check" was poorly attended due to weather...our tiny class did one booster seat and then re-installed my TF, lol), I asked if one of the senior checkers would do most of the talking for the first car so that I could really observe. I watched her, got comfortable with moving through the SK checklist, and then felt much more secure. By the next car, I was pretty ready to go.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You'll do fine! Try not to argue with your instructors too much though. ;)

Jump up and volunteer when you're doing the role-playing sections in class. That really helped me. The instructors will correct you during the role-playing if you're going astray, and also will help you and back you up when you're doing the end-of-class seat check.

Honestly, there's a reason most of us say things the way we do on this board-- we've found a concise, understandable way to communicate a concept to parents, so that's the way we say it, over and over. I find myself falling back on saying things the same way I do on this board in real-life conversations-- because it's effective in most cases. Added bonus, it's easier to know what they're talking about in person as opposed to sight unseen, online! In the time leading up to your class, read the threads where parents have technical questions or concerns about installation. Read what does and doesn't work as far as communication people do to them, and if you post yourself work on being clear and concise whenever possible (not that you're not already. :) ) It's good practice and you'll find it has more application IRL than you might think!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
My biggest worry was the talking to parents part to. It's one thing to have time to write something out online, it's different to actually have to say it right there! lol This is why we've started a new system here that pairs up new techs w/ a CPST-I or other CPST their first check to help them. I was paired w/ someone from my class that first check, it didn't help me much since they'd never done this either! ;) It came really naturally though and it flowed better than I thought it would. Now I follow a pattern and just say the same things over and over again. You'll do great!

Mae

So will the class be difficult? Since I've been a member here for almost two years, chronically lurking for one year before registering, do you think it should mostly be easy-peasy?

What kind of seats do they let you "play" with? Just the main stuff (Graco, Evenflo, ect) or the more "unseen stuff"? (Britax, Sunshine Kids-- I've never seen one of those around here. Ever.)

BookMama

Senior Community Member
So will the class be difficult? Since I've been a member here for almost two years, chronically lurking for one year before registering, do you think it should mostly be easy-peasy?

Most likely easy peasy. :thumbsup:

What kind of seats do they let you "play" with? Just the main stuff (Graco, Evenflo, ect) or the more "unseen stuff"? (Britax, Sunshine Kids-- I've never seen one of those around here. Ever.)

Depends on what seats the instructors have. At my class, we had one (maybe two?) Britax seats, and the rest were the run-of-the-mill Graco/Evenflo/Cosco seats that we tend to see at seat check events - really nothing interesting at all. I've heard of others having a My Ride at their class shortly after the seat was released, so you just never know.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
You'll do fine w/ the content, like someone said, don't argue w/ the instructors. It's not a good way to start. ;)

We had lots of seats. I was told now that each spot had to have their own seats now so we probably won't have all the cool seats here anymore, they'll stay on the side of the state. We had a Traveller Plus, a Wizard, plenty of Britax, a Radian, all kinds of infant seats. Our head instructor is well known in the CPST world and gets seats donated to her for teaching.

cookie123

You'll do great. You already know most of it from hanging around here. Be prepared, there won't be much regarding erf and eh. They were pretty much mainstream on 1 and 20, 4 and 40. Make sure you have your most interesting seat along for people to play with!

Mae

So when you all say to not argue with the instructor... Would it be considered "arguing" if I "genuinely" ask something along the lines of, "I've heard something about RF to age two, what's that all about?" :p

Ok, just kidding. Like somebody mentioned-- there's no need to ask that, I already know! But when a parent comes in with a 15mo child, weighing 24lbs, do I just tell them the benefits of RF beyond 1yr/20lbs (even though it's possible I won't be taught that) and then let them decide? :confused: Will there be somebody watching me like a hawk on my checks?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd mention it because I wanted the other people in the class to hear it. However, the curriculum now should be best practice, so you should be ok.

Another way I'd slip it in was when we were doing seating arrangements, I'd put the two year old 23 pounder rear facing outboard rather than forward facing in the middle.

I did argue a bit with my instructors, but one of them said she'd turn a kid forward facing when they started to talk. She and I did not see eye to eye. And man I hope she's eating crow now. Not that she'd admit it (former K-9 police officer. I'm pretty sure she was the human side of it, though I may be wrong).

By the end of class they just nodded and didn't elaborate when I said I'd use a harness for a four year old 41 pounder. Or say, "That is an acceptable option." Course now hopefully what I was saying is taught without the obnoxious know-it-all bringing it up. It did get some conversation going amongst my fellow students, though, which was good. Though I hear none of them are still techs (just as well, they weren't terribly into it).

Wendy

Mae

However, the curriculum now should be best practice, so you should be ok.

What I'm most nervous about, is that I'm pretty sure that this instructor is the same one who taught my mom's friend who is a CPST. He is also the same CPST who told us that we could put my (at the time) 2yo & 9mo 43lb nephew in a booster. :thumbsdown:

BookMama

Senior Community Member
He is also the same CPST who told us that we could put my (at the time) 2yo & 9mo 43lb nephew in a booster. :thumbsdown:

What were the circumstances? Sometimes there are simply extenuating circumstances that cause us (or us and the parents together) to make what we call "tough choices." I've had similar situations where parents have brought in a 45-lb. 2YO (closer to 3 than 2, but still) in a combo seat. If we don't have a HWH seat for them - and we generally don't, though I've given away a few Radians at seat checks - we have no choice but to recommend that the parents use the seat as a booster and purchase a HWH seat as soon as possible. Most definitely not best practice, or even close, but we do what we can.

Maedze

I did argue a bit with my instructors, but one of them said she'd turn a kid forward facing when they started to talk. She and I did not see eye to eye. And man I hope she's eating crow now. Not that she'd admit it (former K-9 police officer. I'm pretty sure she was the human side of it, though I may be wrong).

*spit* :ROTFLMAO:

cookie123

It changed the year I took it. I was the first class with the new curriculum and I can tell you, they weren't all about best practice at all. Barely even mentioned rf past 1 and 20.
It will be 4 years come June since I took it. I have to renew this year and have done nothing yet. I'm terribly lazy. I didn't do any checks last summer because I had surgery.

Never mind, I renew in 2011. So it was 2007.

Last edited:

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I remember arguing about who went in the middle in those scenarios they always asked about, lol. I wanted the ffing harnessed child in the middle and baby outboard, teacher wanted baby in the middle since they were more vulnerable. I gave up after a while, lol. I really enjoyed my instructors though and I'm blessed to have such great ones here! I've gotten to work w/ them several times since being certified and I still learn a lot from them. I've questioned them time to time but it's always enlightening. I hope you have the same experience, but it sounds iffy from what you've posted.

Yes, I would definitely ask about rfing till at least 2 though if something is said otherwise. :) That's not arguing, just asking a genuine, kind of, lol, question. I'm still known at the 'rfing queen' by at least one of my instructors and I always have pics of my kids at events so people can see what a rfing toddler (or older than toddler!) looks like. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
So when you all say to not argue with the instructor... Would it be considered "arguing" if I "genuinely" ask something along the lines of, "I've heard something about RF to age two, what's that all about?" :p

Ok, just kidding. Like somebody mentioned-- there's no need to ask that, I already know! But when a parent comes in with a 15mo child, weighing 24lbs, do I just tell them the benefits of RF beyond 1yr/20lbs (even though it's possible I won't be taught that) and then let them decide? :confused: Will there be somebody watching me like a hawk on my checks?

I would be asking something more along the lines of, "Isn't the AAP recommendation to RF to the limits of the seat? What about that study that was in the news saying RF to age 4 is safer (from England?) I heard about these new seats that RF to 45 lbs..." :whistle:

I was given freer reign than that at our check-- we were paired up and then the Instructors acted like Senior Checkers, they came over before we were done and made sure we'd done it right. But the less confident new techs had an instructor with them at all times mentoring/shepherding them through.

I think it also might depend on how busy your check is. We stayed pretty busy, tended to have 4 cars going at once.

Mae

What were the circumstances? Sometimes there are simply extenuating circumstances that cause us (or us and the parents together) to make what we call "tough choices." I've had similar situations where parents have brought in a 45-lb. 2YO (closer to 3 than 2, but still) in a combo seat. If we don't have a HWH seat for them - and we generally don't, though I've given away a few Radians at seat checks - we have no choice but to recommend that the parents use the seat as a booster and purchase a HWH seat as soon as possible. Most definitely not best practice, or even close, but we do what we can.

Mom/Dad of DNe weren't at a check. They had just wrecked their car (which an outgrown FF seat for him anyway) and they were looking at boosters. I had told them to just take mine (TF) & I'd trade for theirs. Then this CPST chimed in saying that he's just fine in a booster because he's over 40lbs & they can go ahead and buy a booster...when I was offering to give them mine. Me & my mom went at it.

They eventually sided with me and bought him a GN & are using that & my TF! :thumbsup:

I would be asking something more along the lines of, "Isn't the AAP recommendation to RF to the limits of the seat? What about that study that was in the news saying RF to age 4 is safer (from England?) I heard about these new seats that RF to 45 lbs..." :whistle:
I was given freer reign than that at our check-- we were paired up and then the Instructors acted like Senior Checkers, they came over before we were done and made sure we'd done it right. But the less confident new techs had an instructor with them at all times mentoring/shepherding them through.

I think it also might depend on how busy your check is. We stayed pretty busy, tended to have 4 cars going at once.

I'll have to wait & see her opinion on RF, but if she simply says the minimum, I might have to go with that (bolded). :whistle:
But, then what if she still states the minimum and she's one of those who it must go her way. Then (like I said), what do I do with a parent with a peanut? Explain the benefits (that I hadn't been taught) and let them choose? What if the instructor checks my seat afterwards and disapproves? Would I get in trouble?

I hope that it kind of goes that way-- that they'll just check over my seats when I'm done. I think I'd get even more nervous & choke up if they were watching my every.little.move, yk?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC