Anyone have a Quest???

BabyKaykes

Seems like eveyone here has a truck, a Caravan, or Sienna.

We're looking really seriously at the Nissan Quest, between 05 & 07 (because it's the only van SO doesn't seem to hate).

Anything I should know?

ADS

Auntie2Avi

Avi's mom used to have an 05 Caravan. I was able to install the MA in the capitans chairs only with latch, I wasn't able to get them to work with the belt. I was also able to install the Regent in the capitans chair with no problems. The seat belts are positioned strangely which make installations hard, but I think it depends on the seat.

hth

jmm3

We have on 05 Quest. I love it! Nobody really ever talks about them here. We also looked at Siennas, and I liked the Quest better, and we got one for a better price. I've heard the 04 models (the first year of the redesign) had lots of issues, so I might not get one of those. We got our 05 used in 06, and it had an extended warranty. But, we've had no issues with it other than the power hatch stopped working. You could still manually control it, just the power didn't work, and they fixed it under warranty.

It's very roomy inside, I felt it was noticeably bigger in the back seats than the Sienna we recently rented on a trip.

For seats, I don't have a ton, but I've never had trouble. We've installed an SS1 with seatbelt or LATCH in the captain's chairs easily, Evenflo Generations in the captain's chairs with LATCH easily and with seatbelt in the 3rd row, Graco Cargo with LATCH in captains chairs, and with seatbelt in 3rd row. We've also installed a True Fit RF and FF in the captains chairs with LATCH. I don't remember if we've ever tried it with the seatbelt.

The captains chairs seatbelts have rigid stalks that do point forward somewhat, so I can see them being somewhat difficult for certain seats. But, the ones we have haven't been an issue. Maybe I'll try to TF with seatbelt, but dh has the van today.

One down side is there is only LATCH in the center of the 3rd row, and there is only that one top tether. I don't know if more can be added, I've never looked into it.

Let me know if you have other questions, we really like it. It has great safety ratings too. If you're looking on informed for life, the last time I checked they didn't have all of the ratings in for the Quest, so some of the figures were just averages and it made it look a little lower than it should be.

Qarin

My parents have a 2005 Quest, and love it. I haven't installed a lot of different seats in it- a Scenera, a Nautilus, and a Wizard, I think. The rear-facing Scenera was a challenge, as I recall, but the others were fine. My parents picked it because it was the most comfortable for adults in the back- they like to be the ones to drive to places with friends, so they have a minivan. :)

The 04 had a TON of reported issues. They tried to improve but different rating agencies report different levels of success. Some have the 05 as one of the most improved, others still rate the reliability relatively poorly even into the 06 and 07 models.

A large part of the problem was growing pains. Neither Nissan, nor the new factory and workers it had set up, had any experience building either large vehicles, or vehicles at all. Took a little while to deal with the issues that pop up over the course of assembly. There was a good article written about the issues Nissan dealt with when building the new Quest, along with the Titan and the big SUV.

I'm having a hard time finding that exact article, but this one deals with how Nissan started addressing the problems. Pay attention to the timelines as that's what you're most concerned about.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060426/FREE/60424008/1024/LATESTNEWS

BabyKaykes

The 04 had a TON of reported issues.

This is why we're looking at 05 and beyond. Apparently when Nissan redesigned their line in 04/05 they did a pretty terrible job. My mom had an 04 Maxima that she had problems with from almost day one. She finally ditched it for an 09 a few months ago.

We've found an 06 at a really good price, so I've got my fingers crossed!

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I had an 04. I loved it. It crashed well too. Ex was T-boned by a lady going 50mph. The impact was directly to the passenger front door and was hard enough that it cracked the firewall in half, sheered off part of the frame, broke the engine loose from the mounts, cracked the tranny, bent the seat belt buckle, and visibly damaged 4 unoccupied car seats. The passenger door itself only caved in 3/4 of an inch.

I also had great experience with Corporate. I had power sliding doors and the emergency reverse didn't work properly. It would work with large objects like a hand or foot, but not small objects like fingers. I took it into the dealership and they tested it and said it was working according to the specs. I took a short video of the door snapping a pencil in half and the dealer sent it to corporate. Within 2 days an engineer from San Diego was in the Bay Area testing my vehicle and within 6 months a recall had been issued to reconfigure the sensors for the door so that they were more sensitive.

brelza

I have an 2001 quest that we bought new and we liked it and it was functional until our need for 5 seats! Last year the motors did go out on BOTH front windows and we have yet to get it fixed as they were saying it would be approx $400/window to fix. We'll be having that done when we get our refund so we don't roast this summer.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I have an 2001 quest that we bought new and we liked it and it was functional until our need for 5 seats! Last year the motors did go out on BOTH front windows and we have yet to get it fixed as they were saying it would be approx $400/window to fix. We'll be having that done when we get our refund so we don't roast this summer.

There was a major redesign in 04, two totally different vehicles inside.

brelza

There was a major redesign in 04, two totally different vehicles inside.

Yeah I called the dealer yesterday asking if there is a refit available for lap belts to make them lap/shoulder belts. I was told no and they recommended that we come in to talk to a sales person for a new vehicle :eek: As much as I WISH this could happen....we are not at that point that we could do that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC