Would you shop at a full-service car-seat store?

Would you shop at a "full-service" car-seat store?

• Yes! It would be like manna from heaven!

Votes: 35 70.0%
  • Yes - only to gather information & comparison shop

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Yes - only to have my seats checked

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Not in your life

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

drey

OK, so I must've been frustrated with all the running around involved with looking for my son's new carseat. I had a dream that I owned my own car-seat store. Had every carseat I could get my hands on, arranged by type of seat. In the store I had a play area for kids to keep occupied while parents were looking, and the employees were all CPSTs who could help the parents install seats in their car to determine if it would fit in the vehicle. Also, I had video monitors for crash-test videos, and posters in each section with the minimum requirements for the seat, AAP recommendations, etc. On the side of the store I had an attached "garage" with bays, for seat installs in the winter (which is like, 6 months here?!). :p Also, we'd do seat checks by appointment too, since we'd have CPSTs on staff. Yes, this was a VERY detailed dream... :D

Now, I must be really bored at work, but I find myself thinking that something like this wouldn't be a bad idea. We could do community work - seat checks at day cares & preschools, participate in area hospital birthing classes, etc. So, I'm now looking at the SBA website. Call me obsessed!

My poll question - would you frequent this type of retail establishment, compared to what's usually more readily available (discount stores, TRU/BRU, specialty baby stores, etc), and why? I figure if anyone's going to give me a reality check (other than DH!), it would be you guys.

ADS

Splash

I'd shop there, but I don't think that kind of business would survive unless you did a LOT of internet sales. People simply don't care enough about car seats. Now if you had that in an urban center (without public transportation of course) like Atlanta or Dallas or, hey I know, TAMPA!! then it might work, as long as you did a lot of internet sales. But I just don't think there are enouh people in one area who care about car safety to keep some place like that alive.

nisi

Senior Community Member
Can I come work for you? :D

I like to support local businesses, even if it means paying a little more sometimes. As long as your prices weren't too out of line, and as long as you're more friendly and honest than the local high-end store I'm stuck with (not hard to do), I would definitely shop there. If you had a large variety of seats in one place, I'd probably drive quite a distance to shop there.

But realistically, I think you'd have to carry more than just car seats to make it work. I think you'd have to carry other gear too - high chairs, strollers, carriers, etc. Give your staff the same level of knowledge on that stuff as on car seats, and carry quality items that fit both big and small budgets (what's the Scenera of high chairs?) and you'd have a real winner.

So, when's the grand opening? ;)

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I bought my MA in a baby boutique that sold strollers, cribs, toys, clothes and more. It is a more expensive boutique but their service was great. I had to fill out the warrenty card before I left the store and they mailed it and they were even going to install the seat for me; I declined because I wanted to make sure I could get it in, but they helped with any questions I had. For seats they mostly just had Britax, Graco, Cosco (the AOE) and Peg (they now carry the Radian too), it isn't a huge selection but they mostly just sold Britax because it was a better seat.

So maybe if you could make it a baby boutique specializing in carseats it might work, as long as you aren't solely relying on carseats to support your business. My FIL was a buisness owner and the mark up on his carseats were not much at all (compared to other store items). Because my FIL was a store owner then I like to support the local business' before the big box stores, you pay a little more but you usually get better service :D

mominabigtruck

I'm not in VA but I would love to have a store like that around here. I drive an hour just to go to a bru that has absolutely no customer service about once every couple months. I agree that you would have to have something else there to support your business, like other baby stuff. The only places to buy baby stuff where I live is walmart and kmart and there is a tru about half an hour away but they don't carry hardly anything, and what they do have is mostly low end type stuff, graco and evenflo. It would be great if you could have carseat check days too so that way you could get more business in, when they do them around here they have them at walmart and they have a giant stack of scenera boxes right there to buy because they get so many expired carseats.

kelly

I would browse in one to SEE the seats I already know about from here. :) But, the full-service aspect wouldn't really appeal to me personally, as I feel confident in my own ability to install and decide what works for me. It'd be nice to meet other geeks, I guess. And, yes, I'd buy there if prices were somewhat in-line with online. I'm willing to pay to support local stores.

If you had schwank strollers and maybe unusual gear, it might work out. But, sadly, most people aren't that into car seats alone, ya know? In my area, I'm sure there would be some traffic, but MOST people would not go out of their way for a "car seat store" when you can get a car seat anywhere (Target, Walmart, Baby Depot, Toys R Us, even the grocery store).

Its kinda like the people who would be excited about such a store don't "need" it, and those who don't care wouldn't be drawn in.

mommy2jana

I would totally shop there! Actually, I'd love to work there! Then I could actually work doing what I'm passionate about! :)

I do think you would need to have other baby/toddler related items such as clothing, or highchairs and strollers, or cribs and such.

I agree with Splash...come to Tampa!!! ;)

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Hmmm - I'll do it with you if you decide to go for it! Call it "The Carseat Place" or something like that. It would do really well, though, in the center of a rural area so that folks that have limited options in carseats could drive an hour or two to look at them all. In an area where I live (DC area) there are so many good places that it probably wouldn't make it b/c of competition. Where I grew up, there's a new WalMart - it's the only thing for a couple of hours around. Folks drive from everywhere to go to WalMart. Plant it near WalMart - and voila! - you already have folks with limited shopping options coming to you ;) You'd probably get alot of folks wondering in "just to see" who weren't otherwise interested, or to let their kids play and take a break. Even though not originally interested in carseats, they would get sucked in. :p

Oooh - how about near a theme park or another attraction? People with kids will be that way everyday - another somewhat de facto customer base :D

Online sales would be a BIG boost, too...

Tara

I'd totally shop there. I've gotten all but one of our Britax seats from a specialty baby shop that did the high end furniture and such.

I'd love a place that was more dedicated to car seats and had KNOWLEDGABLE (did I spell that right?) staff (aka certified TECHS).

I am also willing to pay a bit more in support of the local places. Not if one takes advantage of such, but, ya know, I'd pay full price for a Britax there when I could get $40 off online ;)

Come to KY, they need help LOL

drey

Great feedback, everyone! I had thought about strollers, and some misc stuff, but I guess you're right - I probably CAN'T make it on carseats alone. The first thought for this was, to get every carseat into one place, so regardless of budget, vehicle, or child size, there's a very good chance that you'd find what you'd need at ONE stop, vs. checking out multiple places. Although, people who don't care, don't usually do more than one stop anyway - they just take what's in the store they're at & are done with it...

There's really only one high-end baby store here, I think. And they do sell everything, concentrating on furniture & custom fabrics. So maybe a store that specializes in stuff for being on-the-go? Including strollers, slings, pack 'n plays, etc? Then where do I draw the line before I'm another everything-for-baby store? If I carry more high-end stuff, do I position my store in a more swanky area? We have some of those here, where baby furnishings go for upwards of $400. I'd personally feel a little out of place there, lol!!

And whatever I do, I'd definitely do internet sales - after all, that's how I do most of MY shopping! And I need to do more research, but I don't plan on charging too much for this stuff, either. I actually have a problem with stores that are charging a $30 premium right now on the Classic Regent, just because they can. I understand free-market economics, but some things just aren't right, ykwim?

I'd also have to pay nicely, or have good benefits, so my staff would WANT to come to work & help people. Especially if we're working around retail hours, plus doing seat checks at other locations.

Oh, & I would LOVE to move to Tampa, lol!! Just not sure how hubby would take that idea... :p

Thanks for the great feedback! Keep 'em coming! :)

Kaylasmom

The Britax website has a feature where you can search for a dealer near you. It might be best to really look into who is around you to know whether you could support the business or if you would be fighting over customers. Also you would certainly need to keep in mind that with swanky areas comes $$$$$ rent. It's a feasible idea as long as you incorporate other facets of baby necessities along with car seats.

Best of luck!

skaterbabs

I've dreamed of doing the same thing - with a garage bay for bad-weather inspections as well! LOL carry a full line of car seats, strollers, backpacks, slings, ect.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
My friends run a baby store and they do something similar, but without all the extra frills like videos, etc. They have all the high-end seats that their, ahem, "elite" customers expect, but they also carry seats like the ComfortSport too <insert eye roll here>. They have an area where toddlers can play and they have trained CPSTs on staff (one of the owners is an instructor and her dh is a tech with many, many, many years of experience who installs daily). Every Monday, they offer an inspection station through our Safe Kids for a $20 donation to SK, but they install seats for free if you buy the seat through them.

Unfortunately, so many people think the prices in their store are not competitive on the car seats, but they really are in line with BRU because they have to be able to compete in that area.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
My friends run a baby store and they do something similar, but without all the extra frills like videos, etc. They have all the high-end seats that their, ahem, "elite" customers expect, but they also carry seats like the ComfortSport too <insert eye roll here>. They have an area where toddlers can play and they have trained CPSTs on staff (one of the owners is an instructor and her dh is a tech with many, many, many years of experience who installs daily). Every Monday, they offer an inspection station through our Safe Kids for a $20 donation to SK, but they install seats for free if you buy the seat through them.

Unfortunately, so many people think the prices in their store are not competitive on the car seats, but they really are in line with BRU because they have to be able to compete in that area.

Wow! That's really cool!!!! I wish I had a store like that around me. :)

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I was just shopping with my SIL yesterday and we talked about opening a baby/kids boutique. I told her my dream has always been to be a small business owner and she is a college student majoring in business, so I told her it would be perfect if she could help me out with the real business aspects of it. We talked about it for a long time, trying to decide if there would be a market for it, where would be the best location, etc.... We don't have any baby stores around here at all. It is at least a 2 1/2 hour drive to get anywhere where you can find a good selection of baby stuff. We had a TRU but it closed about 8 months ago when TRU was closing some of their stores. When in need of a car seat, high chair, pack n play, stroller, etc... around here you only have the options of what is carried at Walmart, Target, Kmart, and Shopko, and their selections aren't all that great (even though they're 'super' Walmart and Target stores, they still don't have much IMO). And if you want something like a crib or other furniture, and you don't want what they have at Walmart, you have to special order it from a furniture store or a place like JCPenney's (that's what we did). The unfortunate thing is that by the time I get around to actually doing this, someone else will have gotten to it first. My SIL is just a freshman and I'm totally broke, but now we're dreaming about it! :D

drey

stayinhomewithmy3 - Hey, it all starts with a dream, right?

I was checking out the Small Business Administration website - http://www.sba.gov/ - there is a TON of information about starting your own business. I really wish I knew some business owners here, to ask them what I should look at first. I think I know where I'd put my store, and what I want to sell (kinda - the list gets bigger & bigger). How do I figure out if (a) there's really a need, (b) recurring expenses - rent, utilities, pay, marketing, benefits, (c) one-time expenses - remodelling, signage, down payments, inventory, (d) what kind of benefits to offer (after all, I don't want to go broke in 2 or 3 months!), (e) how to build an effective web presence - I know how to build a website, database, etc (I'm a programmer by trade), but how do I do internet payments, etc? There are a LOT more questions, too!!

My credit's good, and I know the SBA has loans for the exploration phase (where you determine if you SHOULD be opening the business at all). I also have to find out what kind of grants are available for the "community service" aspect of my business - I'm sure there are SOME around, especially for child safety. Guess I should get off my butt & do some homework! :)

Last edited:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
*THUMBS UP*

What's your benefits plan? ;) So long as Leila & I have decent health coverage I'm totally there! :cool:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC