Rear or forward face a tiny 5 year old

Which way to face the car seat for a tiny 5 year old?

• Rear-facing

Votes: 59 83.1%
  • Forward-facing

Votes: 12 16.9%

• Total voters

christineka

Child in question weighs 30 pounds, is 39 inches tall, has a 13.5 inch torso and has lots of room to rear-face in a radian. She has no complaints about which way she faces in the vehicle. The seat fits in either direction. Both ways are just as easy or difficult to get her into.

Vote for which way you would face the car seat. No one can vote wishy washy.

ADS

Kat_Momof3

if she had a preference, at age 5, I'd listen to it... but without one... rearfacing... it's safer for EVERYONE.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Assuming she honestly doesn't care either way, I'd RF. Both safer and more comfy, to my mind.

However, at age 4 my rule is that my kids can choose. I'd ask her which way she wants it, let her choose, and leave it at that.

jujumum

Assuming she honestly doesn't care either way, I'd RF. Both safer and more comfy, to my mind.

However, at age 4 my rule is that my kids can choose. I'd ask her which way she wants it, let her choose, and leave it at that.

Yeah, that! As long as it isn't a huge issue for her, I'd rf.:)

myliljunebugs

That, yup, which is why my DD is RF'ing ;) She chose

BookMama

Senior Community Member
If everything else is equal - no issues getting her in/out either way (or similar issues), no problem with siblings either way, seat installs well either way, child has no preference, no issues with school drop-off/pick-up, etc. - I'd keep her RF.

babygirlsmom1005

Yeap - this is why my 4 year old is rear facing again, per her request :thumbsup:

swtgi1982

Same here My DD was turned due to height when she outgrew her old seat RF and begged to be RF. Now at almost four she loves!

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I voted rear-facing because my small 5 year old is still rear facing. Though I would have no qualms about FF at that age, even considering her size/weight.

aisraeltax

if it were my kid, and he didnt say anything re: a preference, then i would keep him RF'ing. i dont think i would mention an alternative. if my son wanted to FF'ing, he would say so and we would discuss.

my 4 year old is 40 lbs. though. a 5 year old at 30 lbs. just seems sooo sooo small.

christineka

Those who voted ffing, why? Is there any reason? (I'm just trying to make a more informed decision.) Dd is currently ffing (day 2), but I will most likely go out and try an install with seatbelt and locking clip, rfing. I hate having her feet on my arm rest. It is really annoying me. I like my space when I drive.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I said FF. Why? Because my 2.5yr olds are FF. Why? Because one is at the limit on his seat. I have an XT, but his sister uses it when she is with us and it's a ROYAL PITA to switch everything around every couple of weeks, especially in the winter. And with one twin FF...I went ahead and flipped the other even though he's a peanut. Though I admit to debating flipping them rf'ing for an upcoming trip...but they might flip. ;) Sorry for the hi-jack. I'm feeling guilty about them being ff now. :( But at 5, I would have no issues FF...even for a peanut.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC