News Kaseys story with video

4busybees

I hope this is where this goes. If not I will move it to the proper forum.

I have 4 children but for the past 2 years I have thought more and more about carseats...here's why (pic of car in video)

MY friends 3 year old daughter Kasey died in a car accident
The driver was coming in the opposite direction and over corrected and "t-boned" the car on Kasey's side. *deleted the graphic details...they could not even have an open casket* She died in her brothers lap while he stared out of the window so he didn't have to see her. Mom was unconscious and Dad was out of town. The driver of the other vehicle was thrown from his van, but made a full recovery.

There was nothing the funeral home could do. They tried so hard though. They left the bottom half open so you could at least touch her little hands. She wore her princess clogs to heaven with her. They were her favorite.

She was so excited about what would have been her 4th birthday (February 29,2008) This would have been her first "real" birthday because she was a leapyear baby. She's been gone 2 years, but it still seems like yesterday.

The driver got 24 years. He had a rap sheet the length of my entire arm.

I hope you don't mind me posting this. I seriously hope it makes you all hug your kids a little tighter

View attachment 6137 View attachment 6138 View attachment 6139

Anyone interested in reaching out to Kelly and at least let her know we are spreading the word for Kasey, it would mean a great deal to her. :thanx!:
Her MADD email is at the end of this video clip that was actually from today

http://cfc.wciv.com/videoondemand.cfm?id=56220

Thanks,
Nikki

Last edited:
ADS

firemomof3

Thank you Nikki for sharing this hearbreaking story. It reminds us all about how precious life is and how quickly it can be taken away.
May I ask if you know what type of car seat Kasey was in? What type of car were they driving?
We do the very best we can to recommend the safest car seat we can for the child/vehicle. But unfortuntely there are some accidents that are not survivable, which is frustrating and scary.

Pingbns

Can you please tell me if thus story is written some where I can't seem to get this video to load i would like to share this story with my friends

jujumum

I just watched the video and read the articles and am in tears. I'm so sorry for your friend.

Please let her know that I posted the video to my facebook page to help spread the word. I wish that MADD didn't need to exist.:(

babyherder

Very sad story. I really don't want to watch the video right now (I'm sure its good but its probably too sad for me to deal with) but I did read and am reminded again to be so so careful. Thanks for sharing.

4busybees

Thanks guys. Since this is a "safe" place in more than one way I knew you all would appreciate the video.

Feel free to write her at {address removed}. She wants everyone to have her MADD email address! It is KGKMARTIN at gmail dot com. It was on live tv here in Charleston, SC. She wants everyone to have it. It is also in the video clip

She would LOVE to have her inbox full. I know it will make her feel like she has done something wonderful :love:

Kasey was in a belt positioning booster and the impact pushed over onto her brother. He saw a more graphic crime scene than any of us could ever imagine. It was horrific....

Due to the stress, her husband left her and in that time she also found out she had MS (multiple sclerosis). Shes in her early 30's :(

Last edited:

Maedze

The accident photo appeared to show a harnessed seat.

That poor dear, she's endured more than any one woman should have to :(

Could you point her in the direction of the Kyle David Miller Foundation? They do a lot of work for low-income families, helping them getting higher weight harness seats for bigger kids.

MomToEliEm

I know exactly where that accident happened as that is near where my in-laws live (and near where I used to live). What a very sad news story.

4busybees

The accident photo appeared to show a harnessed seat.

That poor dear, she's endured more than any one woman should have to :(

Could you point her in the direction of the Kyle David Miller Foundation? They do a lot of work for low-income families, helping them getting higher weight harness seats for bigger kids.

To be honest I am not 100% sure. Since she has 2 children there were multiple carseats. I will have to ask her exactly which one Kasey was in.

Thank you so much. I will forward the information aboutt he foundation to her. Maybe she can use it in her efforts to save lives.

Mommy2Marcus

I am SO sorry for your friend's loss. It breaks my heart as I have a 3 year old little boy & I just simply can not imagine going through what she has been through. It brought tears to my eyes reading her story & watching the video.

She was absolutly gorgous! I can deffinatly see that her smile is missed.

Mae

That is just awful. Terribly, terribly sad. I'm in tears as I read the articles.
I'm very sorry for that family.

What a beautiful little girl.

4busybees

Ok, just talked to Kelly. Kasey was in a Cosco high back booster. She said unfortunately, had she been anchored, she probably would have been beheaded :(
Thats just one of those instances where nothing she could have done differently would have helped.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Ok, just talked to Kelly. Kasey was in a Cosco high back booster. She said unfortunately, had she been anchored, she probably would have been beheaded :(
Thats just one of those instances where nothing she could have done differently would have helped.

That's so sad. There's just no way of knowing though what would've happened though. At her age, a harnessed seat was the safest thing for her. :(

2BunniesMommy

Such a sad thing. I am crying now and I only read the thread here. Will go to the links later, when my 4 year old is not sitting beside me. My heart goes out to her mom and brother. How awful to have to go through that. So, so heartbreaking.

Kat_Momof3

I'm not surprised that being in a harnessed seat wouldn't have made a difference... I saw the video and they were pretty badly hit on the side where mother and daughter were.

the boy was lucky... he was on the other side... he walked away without a scratch... it was the matter of an older small car being contacted with a big truck.... and a drunk driver causing it to be a t-bone is the worst of it...

I know the death of a child can split even the most solid of marriages all too easily... I hope that even if therapy and all that can't help them reconcile, it can at least help them co-parent their living child as peacefully as possible. He's already lived through some of the worst a child can live through.

I think she'd find a lot of the support she's been looking for at KDMF... one reason is just having lost a child of the same age would bring them together... but another... car saftey... a passion of Kyle's mom since she lost her little boy. This was a side impact... the Mother survived (albeit with bad injuries), because as an adult, she was better able to survive a side impact... but obviously what would have been key in trying to prevent this child from dying would be a carseat with optimum side protection... which we are still only beginning to see manufacturers try to provide.

This child's story could change federal regulations, change the way manufacturers regard side crashes and the real dangers in them.

And the fact that she was a gorgeous child whom any parent would get tears in their eyes at the thought of losing only helps their cause.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC