Bad situation turned good!

kdkm

My called today and asked me to ride with her to get my sister which I though was weird. When I got in the car she said I had to ride in the back with my sister because she doesn't have a car seat for her. She is only two years old! I told my mom it was really unsafe and we should just go buy a car seat to use and then return it. After offering to pay for the seat myself my mom agree and went to KMart and got a Scenera. I felt so much better with her in that seat. There is no way I could have ridden with her in the car without a seat.

The kicker is on the way home she told me how she read in the Washington Post how its safer to keep kids RF until 3 or 4 and she might try turning my sister back around. I was really surprised and extremely excited. I am not sure she will actual do it though as she doesn't have very good follow through with her ideas. I might just keep bringing it up again or offer to help her install it (as they suck at that!).

I was going to get my sister a Nautilus (I have been saving up since Sept and have 63 dollars so far) but if she is going to RF her again I might try to get a Truefit or an Avenue.

Anyway, I just though I would share.

ADS

4boysmom

My called today and asked me to ride with her to get my sister which I though was weird. When I got in the car she said I had to ride in the back with my sister because she doesn't have a car seat for her. She is only two years old! I told my mom it was really unsafe and we should just go buy a car seat to use and then return it. After offering to pay for the seat myself my mom agree and went to KMart and got a Scenera. I felt so much better with her in that seat. There is no way I could have ridden with her in the car without a seat.

The kicker is on the way home she told me how she read in the Washington Post how its safer to keep kids RF until 3 or 4 and she might try turning my sister back around. I was really surprised and extremely excited. I am not sure she will actual do it though as she doesn't have very good follow through with her ideas. I might just keep bringing it up again or offer to help her install it (as they suck at that!).

I was going to get my sister a Nautilus (I have been saving up since Sept and have 63 dollars so far) but if she is going to RF her again I might try to get a Truefit or an Avenue.

Anyway, I just though I would share.

So are you still planning on returning the seat? While I think it is GREAT you were able to get her harnessed I really think you should keep the seat unless there is something wrong with it/it doesn't fit in the car right. If you return it they are supposed to then trash the seat since they can no longer verify its history, and that would really be a waste of resources for a single ride.

kdkm

I am not really sure. I didn't really have the money to get it so I do want to return it if possible. Are you not supposed to? I might keep it and just store it at my house in case this comes up again or save it for a back seat for my niece.

Mommy0608

I'm glad you were able to get a car seat for the ride... a 2 year old is not safe at all without a car seat, ever, no matter how short the ride. :thumbsup:

I'm a little unclear of something though... does this child not have a car seat at all? What does she normally ride in? I see that you're saving up to buy her a seat... is that because she has no seat at all? If that's the case, keep the Scenera because you already have the funds for it (you said you have $63, right?) and you now own the seat. How big is the 2 year old (weight/torso height)? If she fits with a little growing room, keep the seat and use it for a while, and continue to save up for another seat. Just deduct the cost of the Scenera from the funds you've already saved, and then you're not out any money by keeping it. If the seat fits her for another year or two at the very least, you'll have lots of time to save up for something that will last longer. More and more seats are coming to the market with higher weight and height limits along with lower prices (Generations 65, Maestro, etc.) At only 2 years old she may still have time left to rear-face in the Scenera. It has a decent shell height, and as long as she has at least 1" of shell over her head and is under 35lbs, she still fits in it rear-facing.

I have to agree with the previous poster that returning it is wasteful. :eek:

4boysmom

I Are you not supposed to? .

Well I don't think I would feel right "borrowing" a carseat from a retailer (buying and then returning; knowing you will be returning it, not that it just didn't work out) knowing it will have to be trashed because it is not supposed to be resold once used. The scenera would make a great back up seat for whoever :)

christineka

If you don't want to keep the seat, you can sell it. Write up all about how safe it is, how it was only used once, and it should sell.

Kat_Momof3

I agree... if she's not going to keep it and use it, and if you have no use for it... sell it... don't return it.

honestly, I'd not worry about saving up for a nautilus (the evenflo Maestro is only 80 dollars and will last about as long, just doesn't make a good booster)... I'd have her in the scenera and save for the Evenflo Maestro to follow it.

kdkm

You guys are right, I should keep it. I can always use it as a backup seat for my sister or for my niece.

I also wanted to clarify that she she does have a seat, two in fact. A Scenera and a Tribute. They just weren't available today as my mom doesn't own a car and the people she gets rides from had her seats in their cars and couldn't pick my mom up for work.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC