Why do you like your Radian?

macmomma

I am wondering why everyone just seems to love the Radian? Okay- I understand about the RF limit on it but beside that- why do you love it?
I am looking into buying yet another seat and am trying to decide.... when I look at pictures of it it just does not seem to have much Side Impact Protection- it looks "flat" to me except the wings on the head... the rest of the body does not seem protected well enough to me:( Am I wrong, am I missing something ???

ADS

Maedze

If you want head wings, get the Radian XT :)

I love the Radians. They are compact, fit beautifully into tight spaces and are great for travel. Before, when the weight limit RF was only 33 lbs, it made them a good niche product. Now, with the head wings on the XT and the 45 pound RF weight limit, they're a great product. I only wish they were compatible with my car :(

kittykate

We have one for DH's car because it is narrow and allows us to do three across the few times a year we need to.

The narrowness and the ability to fold it for storage are really the only two things I like about mine. There is far more that I don't like about the seat than I do like about it.

lovinwaves

The sides are about 3 1/2 inches, whereas the Britax marathon is 3 inches. So , imo, it's an illusion. They are pretty deep.

I love my Radians because:

No base, which makes it easier for my kids to climb up into

Versatile seat, I can put a newborn in it, or a 7 year old.

Folds up, easier to store that way

Seems to blend into the vehicles interior

How heavy it feels, makes me think it would perform well in a crash

Covers are high quality and nice feeling

Narrow, great for 3 across situations, or fitting an adult next to it.

firemomof3

I always questioned why people liked Radians too, I just didn't get it :confused:
But when I had to fit 3 across my minivan I had to get a Radian...
I LOVE my Radians beyond words :love: but I'll try,

I love the memory foam in the seat, my skinny & boney bummed dd2 is very comfortable in it and she's complained about every other seat I've tried her.

I love how she can climb in w/out help and is able to find so many comfortable ways to sit; criss cross, frog legged, draped over the sides.

I love all the great safety features; impact wings, steel alloy construction for enormous strengh, safestop for ff under 40lbs., great upright install ff.

I love how (once the learning curve is mastered ;)) easy I've able to install my Radian in several vehicles.

sunnymw

Yeah, I think the "it doesn't have deep sides" is an illusion because the seat is so dang TALL! :D

ctbcleveland

I love, love, love my Radian.

We aren't at the point where we need to do seatbelt installs yet, but I will mention a couple overlooked points.

RF tether - I still prefer a tethered RF seat over a non-tethered one. There are still only 3 manufacturers that address this issue with their convertible seat-line up (Britax, True Fit with the ARB, and the RN).

Will fit in a overhead bin for travel, if for example, you are using a CARES harness on the plane.

babygirlsmom1005

I love that my daughter is RF'ing at over 4 years old and 36 lbs

I love the shallow sides, it makes it super easy for her to crawl up into the seat

I love the headwings of the XT, easier for her to sleep without head slump

I love the rear tether, I prefer some type of rebound control

I love the steel alloy frame (IDK why, but it sounds cool :cool:)

I love the easy seat belt and awesome upright install I have with my vehicle

I love that when my DS hits 35 lbs of his TFP, he gets to be in this seat to 40 lbs

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I hate how hard it is to adjust the harness. But I have all the other love that everyone else listed, so I tolerate that (most of my seats have been hard to adjust the harness, so meh, whatever).

3plus2isme

Low profile, easily fit 3 across (one vehicle we need that to work with is a civic...), the kids like that they look like regular car seats, high harness height....

mom2kk

I like to for a lot of the same reasons, its narrowness allowed me to put 3 across when I needed to, and it puzzles well with all the bulkier seats I've used around it, infant seats as well as convertibles and boosters.
I'm travelling with it for the first time in a few weeks, but thinking/hoping it will be easier to travel with than a "fixed" convertible seat. And if I check it on any of the flights, it's more compact/solid with less pieces that appear to be hanging out there where they can get abnormal forces put on them by other luggage and cargo or rough handling, which I always fear could unknowingly affect a seat's ability to protect in an accident.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I love them because:
They are slim and low profile.
They install like a dream in my van.
Fit such a wide range of kids.
RF tether.
Steel Frame

MOM25BOYS

I have had a love/hate relationship with my Radians, but when it comes down to it they fit where other seats won't. :D The fact they offer sooo much more leg room is another reason I am drawn to them. :thumbsup:

karlatta

I love mine because it makes using all of my other seats possible.

My DS has declared it to be the most comfy seat we own.

With the compact, low profile, even my 17 month old can get in by himself.

Lea_Ontario

Honestly, I don't.

If I didn't have to install it, I would love it.
But I DESPISE it's installation issues.

nmb

-The only seat I've been able to install RF'ing by myself...usually need DH to help tighten other seats.
-High RF'ing limit - height as well as weight.
(DS has a long torso, outgrew the Marathon RF'ing at 28 mos, too tall to RF in the MyRide when it came out (he was 30ish months?), but he still has room above his head in the Radian now at 37 mos)
-DS can climb in it himself, even RF'ing
-Steel frame, seems sturdier to me.
-Non-twisting straps. (huge for me, I hate when they get twisted!)
-Great for travel since it folds up....also stores out of the way under the bed when not installed....

I don't like the upright FF install, not comfy for sleeping, but since most kids will RF to 4ish maybe less of an issue with older kids?

lovinwaves

But I DESPISE it's installation issues.

I suppose it depends on what vehicles you are installing in. Every vehicle I need to install my Radian in goes in, for the most part, very smoothly, and easily. Yes, there is a bit of a learning curve to it, but once you understand how it installs, imo, it's easy peasy.

Not sure I would love the seat as much if I needed to take it out and reinstall it several times a week. That could get old. The seat is not only heavy, but also horribly awkward compared to other seats. I do get frustrated with it, when it comes time to remove the cover. :sigh:

I would be lying if I didn't say I have a love/hate relationship for the seat. But it's pro's outweigh the con's.

As with any seat, some are just plain not compatible with some vehicles or some certain seating positions. It's not the easiest to install in my 3rd of my Honda Odyssey, but 2nd row, like a breeze.

macmomma

WOW!!!! You guys REALLY seem to love the Radian:thumbsup: I did not realize that it is deeper then the MA- it just always looks so "shallow" in pictures. I do like it that it seems to be more narrow then the MA.... my 15 year old always hates to have to sit between car seats in my car when we all go somewhere as a family, but the snugride and the MA just do not install next to each other- no room:(
Im I right that it can be tethered RF? How does it fit a newborn?

Thank you sooo much guys for all the input!

myliljunebugs

I love mine because

1. My DD can RF in it when she can't in any other US seat on the market

2. It installs well and quite upright in my car

3. It is narrow and so I can FINALLY do 3 across in my awful car!

4. And most importantly, my DD actually has a seat she isn't uncomfortable in. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC