Question Which booster for very petite child

ZephyrBlue

If you could recommend ANY HBB on the market right now for a 35lb, 42" 7yo, what would it be? Price is of no consideration. (To warn you, I really don't like the TB and the FMVSS compliance test results of the Vivo were not as great as I'd hoped, but I'm open to hear all suggestions)

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If you really mean that price is not a consideration, Recaro Young Sport. (The Young Style looks like it might be the Young Sport without the harness, but I can't really tell for sure. Anyone know?)

ZephyrBlue

I'm pretty sure that the Vivo replaced the Young Style, IIRC.

The Young Sport does look like it would be a great fit for a narrow shouldered skinny child. Do the head wings and shoulders come in too close, though?

firemomof3

The Young Sport is an excellent seat :love::thumbsup:
Here is my 3.5y/o in it:
stuff013.jpg

There is lots of room in the shoulder/head wing area :)

kphil

We have a Young Style and love it. It was oldest dd's booster when she first started using one for backup in dh's car, and now dd 2 just recently started being allowed to ride in it in dh's car. DD 2 is too small to look good in the Monterey to me--the YS is much nicer for a smaller child. It doesn't last as long as others, though--dd1 has recently really outgrown it. It may technically still fit her on the highest setting, but she looks way too big for it when she sits in it. She's not that big, either (I haven't measured her in awhile, so can't give stats). DD2 I think was around 48lbs and 48" last time I measured (do those sound like normal measurements?? I could be totally wrong, lol).

I tried a Young Sport for oldest dd years ago, and it was too tight and narrow a fit for her at the time. She was probably around 5. She's not a really narrow child, though, just a little smaller than average, but a sturdy build.

ZephyrBlue

I wish we could try the Young Sport. That would be perfect if it was a good fit- then after DD#2 was done with it, we would still be able to use it as a harnessed seat for baby girl at some point (DS would have grown out of it by then, he's quickly gaining on DD#2)

My only concern is that the headwings will come in too close. She is really tiny, but I think she's probably bigger than an average 3 or 4yo. If she's constantly leaning forward to see around the wings to talk to her sister sitting next to her, that will defeat the purpose. Maybe we'll get it from someplace w/return ins. and see how she likes it.

I wonder if the Young Style is still in production?? If they stopped making them when the Vivo came out, any left are probably darn near expiration :(

melniemi

I know (think) you don't want Britax after some issues with them, but the pw fits petite riders great and I'm guessing the pwsg does as well - and for a 6 yo, I'd make the parental choice to use it under 40#s.

firemomof3

Just so you can see an older child in the Young Sport, here is my 6.5y/o 45lb. dd1 She has outgrown the seat by weight in harness mode, but just so you can see:
Sorry about the heart, I was playing and messed it up :eek:
seats016.jpg

I can take more pics for you later if you'd like :)

ZephyrBlue

Melissa, I had a PW and the headrest got stuck - Britax told me they would replace it, then didn't. I haven't tried the new PWSG, but if it's a good fit with lots of SIP, I'd be open to it, definately.

Firemom, I love love love the look of the YS! But it does look snug in the shoulder/head area. My main concern is that she'll keep leaning forward to see around the headwings (her sister sits next to her).

arly1983

I know (think) you don't want Britax after some issues with them, but the pw fits petite riders great and I'm guessing the pwsg does as well - and for a 6 yo, I'd make the parental choice to use it under 40#s.

It didn't fit mine and he is 48 lbs.

Check out the lapbelt fit on their webpage. I had the same problem in with the SG in the smallest setting.

Click secure guard tab to see the pic.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC