Any puke tips?

JaRylan

Hi All,
Rylan ate supper, had a bath, went to bed great tonight and woke up at 10:50 puking...just finished his 3rd round. So this may sound weird, I can deal with umpteen seizures a day because that is part of my normal day...puking is not in my realm of normal. This would be the 4th time since he was born that he has had a round of the upchucks....knock on wood we've never had a bad case of the runs either. So, if anyone wants to share tips, tricks for dealing with this I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

ADS

beeman

Sounds like fun. Gravol works if they can keep it down. Hopefully theres a shoppers open near you. Make sure he drinks lots of water, even if he resists. Keep him hydrated, even if he seems to puke up everything you give him. Hopefully you both get some sleep tonight too.

First off, give up on any thoughts of a normal night's sleep. Then, if you have a waterproof mattress pad, put it on the child's bed under the sheet. Put another sheet on under that first, if you think it's really likely he'll throw up again in the night. If you don't have a WP pad, just put a towel or two under the sheet. Put a bucket or small trash can next to the bed and show him how he can use it if he wakes up feeling sick. Tell him to be sure to call out loud for you. He may already know, but it's nice for little ones to hear that you will come for them if they need you. :)

Other than that, encourage water/fluids, and try to stick to a bland diet until he's been well for at least 24 hrs.

Hope he feels better by morning!

skaterbabs

Encourage lots of water and fluids in general, avoid sports drinks. Chamomile tea is god for upset tummies, so is peppermint and ginger.
Follow the BRAT diet once he stops vomiting, Bananas Rice Applesauce Toast. If he keeps that down for a while, move to chicken broth.

broken4u05

Also no milk... The twins i watched had the stomach bug a month ago and the doctor said no cows milk that it upsets their stomach and can not sit on it. And lots of fluids and just crackers.

JaRylan

Thanks for all the tips. I already have a waterproof mattress cover on all the beds and Rylan sleeps with me (ever since October when he started having grand mals in addition to his regular seizures). He was so out of it that he just wanted to lay down even when he was puking.

Well, he kept on puking...every 15 minutes. So I bundled him up and headed off to the ER at about 2.30am. Thankfully he didn't puke in the car, but did keep on puking until 7am. Developed a fever, they put an IV in around 4 or 5am, chest xrays are normal, wbc is high (could just be from stress). We were trasferred bu ambulance to another hospital where his doctor is at 9.30am. Rylan is still in hospital. I have come home to wash pukey bedding and try to sleep. My ex/Rylan's dad drove up this afternoon and is spending the night with Rylan. He has spent all day sleeping and his fever has come down a bit, no puking since 7am, still has his iv in but was able to eat some chicken broth for supper.

Ambulance Car Seat Install - installed Radian 65 on stretcher, they said it had to be forward facing and the head of the stretcher was up, had to use rf belt path to install. He is over the rf limit but was really forward facing, just no way to install with ff belt path. So it was installed so it looked rf but the stretcher was facing the other way (hope my explanation makes sense). Paramedics showed me the restraint vest that is used on children who don't have a car seat or are to big. They said it doesn't work very well at all, also said that most parents do bring the car seat and use it in the ambulance. I had a lap belt on the side bench. He looked much more content sitting in his car seat and was looking around a bit. I would imagine if he had been laying on the stretcher he would have been more anxious.

BTW - our province is getting a pediatric ambulance and it should be in use by June!

southpawboston

poor thing! must have been traumatic for him! it's good to hear he looked content in the ambulance. my maggie would have been freaking out!

i had to be hospitalized and IV'd when i was 6YO because of constant vomiting/dehydration/fever. the overnight IV is what really helped, sounds a lot like your rylan...i think i had chicken broth the next day as well :) turned out to be a bad stomach virus.

Haileys_mommy

i JUST went throught this with my daughter, she is almost a year old and she has had 2 puking fits. We don't understand why she did this. But she wasnt refusing fluids and DID want to eat but i did not let her. i fed her a few hours after she was done throwing up, and then she was later that night she decided to CLAIM her spot on our bedroom floor. she did that for 2 days just keep them hydrated, water with a tablespoon of sugar wors well, sports drinks watered down, kool-aid, anything with sugar/electrolights, even pedialyte...I hope your little one gets better!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC