Would you be comfortable with this?

Dawn

First off, yes I have a Regent but it is a huge pia to get a good install short belt path in my 09 Outlook. Anyway we have moved her to the turbo booster full time. Forgot to add she is 7 years 4 months, 52 pounds and 48 inches tall. She sits very well, but it sits very upright even with the seat reclined. I would like to take the back off and see if that works better. Would you be comfortable with a 7 year old in a backless booster?

ADS

Raegansmom4

I'd continue using the back of the TB. It provides a better belt fit on a younger child, and it gives some SIP.

Louisa

CPST Instructor
personally, i don't think i would be psyched about a 7 yo in a backless.
could you try other boosters to see if another may be a better fit. or if you really want to to backless maybe take the back off and watch her to see how the fit is and how she sits. I would be concerned about no SIP without the back.

Dawn

That is one of my big hesitation as well. I need to convince dh that she needs a different booster that fits her better. She is so upright it is awkward looking. It's 2 years old and isn't very padded either,lol. Any suggestions other then the turbo booster?

mcomommy

I would rather have her in a high back booster. Maybe the Vivo or Monterey if you don't like the Turbo. We tried the Turbo and did not like and those are then next ones we are considering.

Kat_Momof3

here's my POV... I'm psyched out by a child who can fit in their booster with the back being used NOT using the back... unless it is in a vehicle where the back is incompatible due to a fixed headrest that cannot be removed.

Now, I pulled up your vehicle on saturn.com and looked at the interior... and here are some questions...

what row is she in?
is the headrest on the vehicle seat removed?? raised?? or can it not be moved???
have you tried reclining the vehicle seat a notch or two?

from the picture, the third row seats look more reclined than the second row... and the headrests on both rows look like they would pose a problem.

Maedze

All in all, I would prefer to see a 7 year old in a high back and would never deliberately choose a backless over a high back for the child.

However, I can't say that it would give me the vapors if a parent chose to do it.

Dawn

She is in the middle row captains chairs. She can't buckle herself. Headrests are immovable. The seat is reclined and has to be for any front facing child seat. There is only one recline setting. It is either upright or reclined. No in between. The back of the turbo booster doesn't rest on the seatback due to the headrest. I love my outlook but really hate it with carseats. Had I realized it would be such a pain I would not have bough it.
We have put her in the third row on occasion but it is a pain climbing back there to help her get buckled.

Kat_Momof3

that sounds like the headrest is interfering with install... which means you can't use a highback there.

at 7, as I said, I'm fine with a well-fitting backless booster in those cases...

I'm surprised she can't buckle herself without help... but every kid is different.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC