Belly Pads

Jonah Baby

Why?

What is the purpose?

If there IS a purpose, how come only the more expensive seats like Radians and Britaxes come with them?

If a seat that came with one no longer has one, is that bad or does it matter one bit?

Why don't all seats have them?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The purpose is comfort. They're a "frill" -- that's why they are generally on the fancier seats (although the Nautilus has a huge one). People who pay more want more frills. They're not necessary, even if they came with the seat.

Jonah Baby

Basically what I thought, then.

So...is there a way to improperly use one on a seat?

DP is always trying to stick it under Jo's crotch when buckling. Besides for making the tops of the buckles poke him in the belly when buckled, Jo really doesn't like having such a half-assed piddle pad, lol.
When I buckle it, I of course make sure the big part of the flap is behind the buckle, as far up as it should go.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's not dangerous to tuck it under the bum, but it makes things harder to deal with. I've had the most intelligent-researched-self-assured moms come in to BRU and take great pains to tuck it under and they are just mortified when I politely correct them.
I wish they had velcro on them to hold the buckle forward so you wouldn't have to dig the buckle out, THEN they'd be really useful, IMO (the Safeguard Go actually has a great pad that holds the buckle forward, we LOVE that one! The rest I take off and leave in my carseat parts box, lol). Some people love them, especially in shorts season or with dresses and skirts, it really does keep a hot buckle off a baby and prevent pinching when you buckle up :)

CommMom

Senior Community Member
Eh, I didn't even realize that it was supposed to be up until several months ago. I've been a tech since summer, I've read my MA manual cover to cover several times, but I guess I just missed the memo. I guess I assumed it was some sort of extra cover to keep crumbs from falling into the crack where the buckle comes out.

I have looked several times though and don't see in my manual where it actually SAYS where to place the belly pad. There is just that one picture of the kid with the belly pad under the buckle...which is kind of hard to see unless you're looking at the pdf version and can enlarge it. I think there'd be a lot less confusion if they would clarify it in writing. (Unless it's already there and I'm just missing it, lol.)

kittykate

DS1 is a big fan of the belly pad (except for the one on the Nautilus because of the way it made the crotch strap bulkier) due to his sensory issues. He hates riding in the Radian80 in DH's car because we don't have the belly pad and will complain and cry the whole trip about the pressure on his bits. :( (I really need to suck it up and order on from SKJP...)

P1ally

I have looked several times though and don't see in my manual where it actually SAYS where to place the belly pad. There is just that one picture of the kid with the belly pad under the buckle...which is kind of hard to see unless you're looking at the pdf version and can enlarge it. I think there'd be a lot less confusion if they would clarify it in writing. (Unless it's already there and I'm just missing it, lol.)

Maybe they don't feel the need to clarify because it's called a BELLY pad, not a butt pad :D:duck:

flutie128

I use the one that came with DD's TF in the summer when she wears shorts because I am afraid I will pinch her. In the winter I take it off because I think it is a bit of a pain to deal with.

Kat_Momof3

all my kids were big bellypad fans... but the biggest to date was Jeffrey, who NAMED it... "winky 'tector" (winky protector)

for summer/winter, it can also help prevent a hot/cold buckle touching flesh...

again, comfort feature... but it also always made buckle retrieving easier... I'd pull it forward by the pad... giving me an extra bit of space for the child to climb in around all that and easier (when I had a baby in the other hand) to buckle one-handed, as said child could hold it up by holding the belly pad. (this situation was more useful when babysitting 4 kids under 4, then 4 and under, but still)

CommMom

Senior Community Member
Maybe they don't feel the need to clarify because it's called a BELLY pad, not a butt pad :D:duck:

Hehe, I probably deserve that...it likely should have occurred to me that if it was called a "belly pad" it should probably go near a belly. I guess everybody has brain farts every so often. :D

Kat_Momof3

hey... they're called "chest clips"... but how often do we see them everywhere BUT the chest?

so please, carseat companies should know a name means nothing to a poor foggy-brained mommy (well, for those of us who are foggy-brained)

Maedze

Hehe, I probably deserve that...it likely should have occurred to me that if it was called a "belly pad" it should probably go near a belly. I guess everybody has brain farts every so often. :D

They thought about calling it a "Privates Pad" but that one got squashed by legal.

mkmama

Wait...what have I been missing? The TrueFit comes with one?!? DS loves the one on his Nautilus, I'd love to have one on the TF too...

Chex

My old (expired) EFT5 had one, but the new EFTAs don't (at least the I have....maybe some with "nicer" padding do?). I really liked it on that one. It was attached with an elastic around the buckle strap.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Wait...what have I been missing? The TrueFit comes with one?!? DS loves the one on his Nautilus, I'd love to have one on the TF too...

If you have a TF without a belly pad, you can give Learning Curve a call and ask if a belly pad for the TF can be sent out to you. I remember an older thread from approx. last year/late 2008 about Learning Curve doing so for others whose TFs didn't come with a belly pad, and maybe LC would do the same for you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC