Should my sister reharness my almost 6 year old nephew?

::er!ca::

My nephew is almost 6 years old (will be in the middle of March), he's about 45-46 inches tall and almost 55 pounds. He's currently in a booster, an Evenflo Big Kid booster I believe (which if she keeps him in a booster, she's buying a new and better booster for him). When he falls asleep, his head falls forward (is this because of the shallow head wings?) and she said he also falls foward sometimes (this is her MAJOR concern). She's also concerned about his safety because of the little 5 year old on my husband's side of the family (our cousin, I posted about in the CMCB) that is paralyzed (however her situation is totally different, she was not in a booster... my nephew is in a booster).

She was asking me this evening if she should reharness him. He was in my daughter's Nautilus a couple months ago when I picked him up from kindergarten, and he is on the 2nd from top harness slot (short torso?) like my daughter is. He also has another 10 pounds before he would be outgrow it by weight. But, he's gained 10 pounds in the past year and is still growing! She has a 20 month old son (still rear facing!!!!) that the Nautilus could be passed down to though, so it wouldn't really be a waste of money even if he only used it for a year before it is outgrown by weight.

So, should she buy him a better booster? Or reharness him? If he had a booster with deeper head wings, would that keep his head from falling forward (I'm thinking it probably falls to the side first, then forward once it slides off of the shallow head wings of the Evenflo Big Kid booster... is this probable?)? What about his falling forward sometimes once he falls asleep? She says he doesn't usually fall asleep in the car, but he does sometimes and it really concerns her.

If she shouldn't reharness him, what boosters can you recommend? The only one that is readily available here in our town is the Graco Turbobooster.

ADS

Maedze

When he falls asleep, is it just his head that is falling forward or his whole torso?

She can teach him to cock his head back when he naps so that his head doesn't slump. If her belts lock at the retractor, that may also be an option.

I wouldn't necessarily reharness him, but I would look at a better booster, and focus on ways to get him to sleep upright.

When he falls asleep, is it just his head that is falling forward or his whole torso?

She can teach him to cock his head back when he naps so that his head doesn't slump. If her belts lock at the retractor, that may also be an option.

I wouldn't necessarily reharness him, but I would look at a better booster, and focus on ways to get him to sleep upright.

She made it seem like his whole torso :confused: but not all the time when he sleeps. I talked to her about locking the seat belt at the retractor, I just wasn't sure if that was something allowed so I told her it was just an idea but let me find out more on it. She drives an 09 Chevy Traverse, if that matters.

She said other than the issues with him sleeping, he sits properly when he's in the car.

Do you think a TB would be a good option for him, or should she look into a different booster?

Maedze

I think a turbo is definitely a great option. She could also consider the Vivo, Montery, parkway SlideGuard or the Oobr.

I think a turbo is definitely a great option. She could also consider the Vivo, Montery, parkway SlideGuard or the Oobr.

Thanks :) You're always so helpful! Perhaps I can talk her ito a Monterey since I want one badly but it probably wouldn't work for my skinny minnie!

christineka

My kids fell out of the turbo while asleep. They sleep fine and well in the vivo though. I imagine that the monterey would be good too.

WhatAboutPuppy

I don't know much of anything about the Vivo... but doesn't it have a recline mode? I would imagine this would be nice for him if mom thinks he might fall asleep on a certain ride, she could recline before he gets in??
I don't know if there's a weight limit on this or if it's even the Vivo. I know there IS at least one Recaro that does recline.

lol Is this helpful at all? Probably not.

DahliaRW

I taught my ds1 to lean his head back into the headwings on his turbo when he gets tired. He's been fine sleeping in it since, barring one time (we pulled over and repositioned him - it was Christmas night and he was sooooo exhausted he forgot!).

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
How frequently does he sleep in the car? If he sleeps in the car often a harness would solve the flopping forward issue. I'd probably just try locking the seat belt before investing in a harnessed seat, though, assuming he is a good booster rider.

skaterbabs

Some boosters are much better than others for car sleepers. The Big Kid is NOT one of them. ;) So while she can certainly reharness him if she wants (providing he's not too long-torsoed), a "better" booster may be the solution she needs.

It's been a while since I last purchased a booster, so of the current models 'm not sure which would be best. I know that the Frontier works very well at supporting my car sleepers; so does the old-style Parkway. I don't have any experience with the new Parkway. I do know the Turbo did NOT support my car sleepers well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC