Question Nautilus, Maestro, or something else???

Maiadab

I have a small 3y 9m old DD who is currently riding in a FPSVD in our car and a Cosco Scenera in my parents car. She is VERY close to out growing the Cosco so I need to get her another seat for our car and will give my parents the FPSVD.

I was pretty sure the Nautilus was our next seat but after getting good advice on BabyCenter someone recommended the Maestro because it is cheaper, by about half, and neither the Maestro or Nautilus make good boosters. She said save money, buy the Maestro and then when it is time buy a seat that is just a booster.

Do you all agree??? My budget is no more than $200 - the less expensive the better though! We drive a 2007 Ford Expedtion. My DD is about 31lbs and her butt/floor to shoulder height is 14".

Thank you for our help,

Maia, Mom to DD (3/99), DD LBB (2/01), DS HBB (6/02), DD FPSVD (3/06)

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The Nautilus doesn't always make a bad booster - it's somehow gotten that reputation but it's definitely not something that can be universally said. It will depend on your own kiddo and how the seat fits in your vehicle as to what kind of booster it will make for your child.

I haven't actually installed or buckled a child in the Maestro yet, but from playing with it it seems like a nice enough seat. If budget is an issue and buying another booster isn't a concern, then going with it would be fine. I do think the Nautilus seems comfier and there is the chance that you'd be able to use it as a booster. If nothing else it should work fine as a backless booster at some point so you would get more use out of it...

In terms of height and lower price, those are definitely the best options out there right now. She'd still have some growing room in the Generations 65, but I'm not sure exactly how much... seeing as she doesn't need the weight limit, the Maestro does make more sense than the GEnerations. But I'd still give the Nautilus a try.. by the time you want to use it as a booster it's possible it would work perfectly fine for her.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
With the caveat that all kids fit all seats differently, and all seats fit in all cars differently... the Nauti generally makes a good booster for kids who are large enough to have outgrown the harness. It doesn't do so well for little littles. So if you're planning on keeping her harnessed for a good bit longer, the Nauti is a fine choice. However, a child your daughter's size will probably not *need* the 18.5" slots/65# harness in the Nauti. The Maestro ought to get her to a safe age to use a booster. I don't think either seat would be a bad choice, but it's kind of comparing apples and oranges.

Maiadab

Thank you everyone. I have decided on the Nautilus. As small as DD is she can probably use it harness till she starts middle school :p

I see Target had them on clearnce for $155 but all the ones around me are out of them. I will have to wait till they re-stock for the new year and get one at full price.

Thanks again!
Maia, Mom to DD (3/99), DD LBB (2/01), DS HBB (6/02), DD FPSVD (3/06)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC