How do i?....

broken4u05

Not have anything loose in my car? I have a 04 Toyota corolla and i have 3 across. I have 2 comfort sports one FF and one RF that the parents of the twins I watch bought so i can have something to take them out than a Radian for my godson. Well i am also a student and almost live out of my car. I have right now 5 books for classes, my laptop that i bring to work every day, I have a double stroller in my trunk along with extra t-shirts and pants because with kids you never know what is going to happen and i dont just go home right after work and i dont want to smell too bad. Than i also have quick meals because i do not get home till 9 and i need dinner so i have bottles of drinks and than little food things. Not all of this can go in my trunk and have me be able to take out the stroller almost every day. So how do i make my car safe? I have tried putting all my books in a storage thing so at least it is one thing but that would still be a problem in an accident. Anyone know what i can do? Most of it is in my trunk right now really only my books and laptop are out.

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Keep as much as you can in the trunk & under the vehicle seats -- then try to fit the rest on the backseat floor under the RF carseats ... or on the front passenger seat floor: the lower the better.

I keep my textbooks under the front passenger seat, CDs & tissues under the back of gthe driver seat, winter clothing gear + Leila's backpack on the floor between the 2nd & 3rd rows, cargo area has a roll up snow sled, emergency kit & CPST tote bag.

LEAW

Yep, everything in the trunk as you can manage, things on the floor... I've been known to put the front passenger seatbelt through my backpack straps (with the backpack against the seat and the straps facing the front of the car).. while it'ld probably still hit me/my arm/shoulder it won't fly very far, and I make sure to zip it shut completely.

Put the most dangerous things in the trunk - for example, pack a soft backpack with the kids (or your) extra clothing and put it on the floor of the car, but pack your books in the trunk, and your laptop too... consider what you'd want flying into your head while driving...

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Ditto - wedge things under the seats, stash as much as you can in the trunk. . .

Have you seen/tried Space Bags (Used to be a hokey infomerical - now you can find 'em at Walmart, Bed Bath and Beyond and elsewhere) or the big ziplock bags for clothes and other squashable things? They really do work! In addition, they are sealed/waterproof so the stuff stays clean/dry (or wet/stinky :rolleyes:); since they're clear, it's easy to see what's in 'em.

I've done the seat belt thing as well back in the day when I only had AM radio. :cool:

I unclip my briefcase style bag and wrapped it around the seat back. (It's easy for me to reach what I need/want when traveling - it doesn't tip or slide off the seat.) Yeah, the thing hasn't been crash tested, but I feel (hope?) it will at least slow it down a bit. . .

Sounds like you have some VERY full days.

broken4u05

I have very long days. I work all day long with the twins and than have class till 9 at night. I am away from my house from 7:30am to 9:30pm. I eat all my food away from my house and that dry cereal in the car, easy single serving heat up meals. Than i have all kinds of baby things in my car for the twins and my 3 godchildren. The seats in my car fit the twins and my godchildren than my godson has a seat of his own. He is almost 5 and in a harness still in my car. I have my godchildren in my car at least once a week. I have 3 different size dipers because they all wear something different and 4 different sets of changes of cloths for them. And i have a small car. I am hoping to in a few months take the CPS class soon on the weekends. I can not wait. Thanks for your help. It is so easy to put my books in the seat next to me but i will try to keep them in my trunk

LuvBug

I have an 03 corolla and know how it feels to be cramped! I have a hard time reminding myself of projectiles. I dont have to deal with as many kids as you, but even my 1 child has a lot of stuff! lol!
What kind of double stroller do you have? is it really bulky? if it is maybe getting a smaller one(like a side by side) would help free up more room.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have a hard time with the projectiles too. I am REALLY bad about putting my HEAVY laptop in a position where it could be a projectile. NOT GOOD.:eek:

broken4u05

I had the jeep side by side that is really small. I just got a new one because it was too hard to go anywhere it folds up very well and with this one i do not need the single stroller i had because it is only alittle bigger than a single so i like it and when i do only have one kid i can just put a diper bag in the other seat. It is really not big at all. When i have my first child and i hope that will be not that long after i get married (a year more till i get married) I will be trying to get a van because i can not fit one more kid in my car. I know i will only have one child but how can i tell one of my godchildren they can not go with me? And than i want one with the stow n go so i can put things in there. thanks for the help

broken4u05

I cleaned out my car and i had a lot i do not need in there so I put in it bags to bring it in my house when i get home and now i can put more in the trunk and not flying around in my car. YAY I also had way too much trash in there too.. eww. And this weekend i am taking the seats out and getting a car wash than back in the seats go. But my car will be clean. Again YAY

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC