Which seat would you bring on the plane?

TiaxMarie

I have three to choose from. Britax Marathon, First Years True Fit, Radian XTSL.

Will the Marathon be the easiest to install on the plane? I'm thinking the True fit is going to be too bulky, the Radian too heavy, and take the Marathon, but am I not thinking about something?

Will I be able to install Rear-facing? Out of the 4 total planes, only one is a big plane, the others only 2 seats in a row.

When we get there, we'll be installing in a minivan. Not sure the year or model.

Help me plan this.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Radians don't fit rear facing on planes. The True Fit can be a squeeze. The Marathon is easy rear facing. I'd take that.

Wendy

Pixels

Do you have straps for the Radian? We just got back from a trip where we took the RadianXT for my daughter for the sole purpose of using on the plane. With the backpack straps, it doesn't get any easier than traveling with a Radian, unless you skip the carseat altogether. It's not the world's most comfortable thing to wear on your back, as it is made of hard plastic and doesn't conform to the shape of your back like a real backpack would, but it's certainly better than the alternative of hand carrying a seat.

I just got back from a trip and was going to post a new thread about my experiences flying with the Radian. I will say that DD rear faced in a regular, non-bulkhead coach seat in the Radian on two flights, so it does fit.

lilliput

Just a thought, but you might want to check the size of the seats on the smaller planes. 90% of the time we have to fly turbo-props or very small jets (configured 2 and 1) from our airport, and I can tell you those seats are narrower than bigger jets without question. Our RN only just fit in the seats on the small Canadair jet with that 2 and 1 configuration. I'm not familiar with the MA at all, but if it's any wider than a RN and you're flying on smaller equipment, I'd confirm the seat width of those smaller planes. :twocents: I've only ever used a RN on a plane, none of the other seats you mention, and I found that while it was heavy, it was definitely easy to travel with.

InternationalMama

What airline are you flying? If it's a non-American airline, they may have restrictions that would effect your options. Make sure you know who is operating the flight if it's a codeshare.

I think for a 25 month old I would choose the Radian and accept that I may not be able to rear face on the plane. The Radian would be so much easier to travel with than an MA or True Fit, IMO, that that would trump any benefit you might get from rear facing on the plane (since safety isn't the issue).

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I like the Radian for planes, but we've never used it rfing. If it doesn't fit, I wouldn't be too worried about it at 2 though.

nmb

Do you have straps for the Radian? We just got back from a trip where we took the RadianXT for my daughter for the sole purpose of using on the plane. With the backpack straps, it doesn't get any easier than traveling with a Radian, unless you skip the carseat altogether. It's not the world's most comfortable thing to wear on your back, as it is made of hard plastic and doesn't conform to the shape of your back like a real backpack would, but it's certainly better than the alternative of hand carrying a seat.

I just got back from a trip and was going to post a new thread about my experiences flying with the Radian. I will say that DD rear faced in a regular, non-bulkhead coach seat in the Radian on two flights, so it does fit.

:thumbsup: I agree. We've flown w/ the Marathon and the Radian both. I can't say anything about installing as DH did that every time (He'd get on w/ the "preboard" and install the seat, while I kept DS running around the airport til near the end of boarding). W/ the Marathon, we put it upside down in the stroller (basic, cheapy babytrend) and one carryon on top, the other in the basket, and I wore DS.

W/ the radian, either DH wore the backpack or we put it in the stroller, but couldn't put bags on top. I'm not sure if the backpack was worth it, it broke on our first trip with it....(we'd had it more than a year & a half though, but in the box in the closet the whole time). It IS pretty heavy and not at all comfortable to carry. (If we'd had to carry the Marathon, I'm sure that would've been pretty awkward too though)
We were able to rear-face the Radian in three out of four flights, just try to request a seat near the front of the plane if at all possible. The one we couldn't fit it RF was when we were sitting towards the back.... I think those first few rows are slightly larger on many planes?

You'll get a much better angle RF'ing w/ the Marathon though, plus have the advantage of being able to recline it if it does need to FF. Much easier for sleeping!

The other thing, w/ the Radian FF, the plane buckle ends up right in the center of the LO's back. With or without the extender. The seat kinda has a "path" for it but DS did complain about his back hurting, and I can see where it'd be pretty uncomfortable. I put my sweatshirt behind the cover but I don't know if that helped any.....

armywife12

I've used the Marathon RF on two different flights and it fit well in both of them but Caleb, 7 months at the time, was sitting quite upright.

TiaxMarie

I actually haven't even gotten the Radian yet. It should be here tomorrow. I ordered the XTSL.

Does that come with any carrying straps?

I plan to wear DD in the airport, only take one carry on and have DH deal with the seat.

How easily will the Radian install in van, captain chair?

EDIT: We are flying Continental Airlines. Manchester NH to Tampa FL. Layovers in Charlotte and Newark.

Jan06twinmom

We've flown with our Britax Decathlon rear-facing on several different planes including the Canadair Regional Jets which are pretty small. I think the only trick for us was putting the armrest up and leaving it up.

I love how the Radian works at a forward-facing only car seat on planes too. My DH carried it and I don't think it was all that bad. It definitely helps that it's more compact.

HTH

Melanie

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Radian should install well. We have one for forward facing travel. But it won't fit rear facing. The Marathon will fit rear facing on any plane. From a turboprop up to a 777. We've had them on all. If the Marathon is wider than the seat dimensions, lift the armrest. Viola, more room.

Wendy

TnT's Mom

Another vote for the Marathon but I've never used a Radian so I really can't compare. I found it really easy to install on all the planes we ever used it on. And like wendythomas said, you can lift the armrest for extra room width wise. If you take the Marathon and for some reason you end up having to forward face (I forget how old your child is) make sure you flip the plane seat belt over before you click the other side in (if that makes any sense at all) because it is very difficult to get the seatbelt unbuckled and get the Marathon out if you don't.

DahliaRW

If you do put your LO ffing on the plane, the radian will allow her to use the tray table which is really handy. It also folds flat, so while it's heavy it's a LOT less awkward to haul through the airport. You could even bugi it to a stroller or rolling suitcase.

TiaxMarie

Thanks so much for all the replies. I still haven't decided which to bring. I'm not so much worried about Rear-facing on the plane, which would be great but not totally necessary, as getting a good install in a vehicle I am unfamilier with.

I'm leaning towards the Marathon, but will have to see when the Radian gets here how well we get along.

lilliput

I just wanted to comment quickly on the armrest issue. Yes, in most situations you can move the armrest. This is true *if* you're in a seat that has moveable armrests. If the car seat base is wider than the aircraft seat base and the armrest is fixed, you can't use the car seat. This is why I suggested looking into it if she is really flying some smaller aircraft, and probably why I had a panic on one leg the first time I flew with a carseat (with Continental out of Burlington, Vermont to Newark) when I first put my seat down to get ready to install it, because I'm pretty sure those armrests were fixed.
Here is the link to the FAA info regarding car seat usage on airplanes. It's a PDF if you're really interested. Once again, a thank you to EclipsePearl for providing the circular number in her blog....
http://rgl.faa.gov/regulatory_and_g...60D70126CF679D5A8625723B007841E7?OpenDocument

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Very true. However, the only rows that have fixed armrests are the bulkhead rows and first class. And maybe the exit row, which is moot as no one under 15 can sit there. So it's not likely you'll get a fixed armrest unless someone well meaning has put you in the bulkhead row. Even on small aircraft where you're sitting in two seats (either on a one-two configuration or a two-two) they'll fit.

Piper's flown enough miles to earn herself her own free tickets. We've done nearly every type of commercial craft. Itty bitties to jumbo jets. Including private planes. The only problems we've had is in bulkhead rows (though we were able to put her Advantage in the middle seat of the middle second of the bulkhead coming back from the UK. I recall losing skin on the back of my hand, though) and installing her Wizard forward facing. And Laine's Avenue was awfully upright on our trip last month. Piper was several years old before I even saw the armrest between us again. :) No problems.

Wendy

jmm3

It sounds like you have this pretty well worked out. Just thought I'd throw in that we recently flew with our True Fit. It was kind of a beast to carry and install on the plane. Dh did the installing, but he was fighting with it (FF), and he was in no mood to let me try, so maybe it was just him, but he was struggling. He eventually got it in FF, but it wasn't easy.

Someone else on our plane had a Radian, and dh was drooling over how it folded and they had it on their backs. I've been wanting a Radian, and now I might get one because of that trip and dh's struggle carrying the big True Fit. :thumbsup:

The TF also didn't fit through the x-ray machine at either airport, and they made us wait while they brought it to a special area to be hand screened.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC