Confused about height.. too tall for this seat?

mrs_teeee67

I'm trying to keep my chick harnessed as long as I possibly can. I don't want to put her in danger though by waiting TOO long to booster her. Is she too tall for this seat? I don't know for sure what the 'tips' of the ears and 'where' they should be? Is that the top? or the 'lobes'? or just her head meeting the top? Help? *btw, I know the one on the left looks weird,, she's pulling forward and her seat is reclined, dunno if she's too big or not, but she isn't weight wise I've been told*
carseatimage.jpg

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The child on the right? You're looking at the tips of the ears going over the top of the shell.

The person in the middle back row needs a headrest. It's not safe to ride without one. And the other tall person back there needs theirs moved up. Same thing as the Radian child. To the tips of their ears. It prevents whiplash. What year is your van as well? Is there a shoulder belt in the back middle, or just a lap belt? If it's a lap belt only then it's not safe for a non carseat.

Wendy

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
A lot of people find the "tips of ears" guideline confusing. Is eye-level easier for you to judge? All forward facing passengers need support behind the head up to eye-level. This goes for the guy sitting in the driver's side 3rd row (easily fixed by raising the head restraint)and the gal in the center 3rd row as well.

A better arrangement for the group in that picture would have been to put one of the children in harnessed seats in the center lap/only belt and all non-harnessed passengers in lap/shoulder belts.

mrs_teeee67

Ok,, so my daughter in the Radian is good for awhile? Since her 'eyes' are way down into the seat? She does weight right at 60 lbs now though. So we might not last much longer

Yeah, that lap belt in the center makes me crazy. I should put the little bitty girl in the middle back eh?

I DID have the boy there until his mom gave me the booster to use instead of the regular car seat. Apparently he weighs 40lbs now.

I NEVER have adjusted headrests.. now I shall and shall be advising people as well.

emandbri

I don't know which left but both look fine to me. What is the other seat? I can't tell what it is.

Mommy2Marcus

The one on the right is fine for awhile as the others have said. However it looks to me like the girl on the left needs the harness moved up to the next position. It looks to me like from the pictures that the harness is below her shoulders. However it could just be the angle of the picture, but deffinatly check on that. The harness on a FF seat should always be at or ABOVE their shoulders, never below.

Also I believe that the seat should be installed in a more upright position when FF.

mrs_teeee67

My daughter is the 7 year old. Since her height is ok, does anyone think getting the Radian80 would be a better option than the Monterey?

The little girl with the face blurred is in some Britax I believe.

keri1292

Just a quick check...the little girl with the "disguise", are the harness straps coming out at, above or below her shoulders? It appears below, but harness height is often difficult to eyeball in a photo. Forward facing, they should be coming from above her shoulders or at her shoulders. rear-facing is at or below. :)

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
Also remember that the harness straps of the left and right car seats need to be AT or ABOVE the children's shoulders since they are both forward facing.
Especially the child in the left-hand car seat.

mrs_teeee67

I have to take them all the kids somewhere again today, so I'll check her harness and have her mother rethread it if it's below

mommaon112903

Yes, she is fine both height and weight since she is under 65lbs and the tips of her ears, actually her whole head is, still within the shell of the seat.

How much does the LO weigh and do you know what seat it is?

Yes, a lap belt is only good for installing car seats.

How old is the little boy you are reffering to that is now 40lbs and Mom has sent a booster.

The SKR80 will not give you anymore harness height, and at your daughter's age and weight barring any special needs a booster is a very acceptable and safe option.

mrs_teeee67

Thank you, I'm a bit partial to her myself :)

I DID notice her clip was too low,, funny that it was like that during the pic! She's usually VERY concientious *sp* about that. She's forever telling me when OTHER kids clips are too low. That was an oversight but she and I BOTH know it should be higher. thanks

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Thank you, I'm a bit partial to her myself :)

I DID notice her clip was too low,, funny that it was like that during the pic! She's usually VERY concientious *sp* about that. She's forever telling me when OTHER kids clips are too low. That was an oversight but she and I BOTH know it should be higher. thanks
Excellent! :thumbsup:

mrs_teeee67

I'm not sure how much the lil' girl weighs. I only know it's a Britax seat, but unsure of which one. I'll have to check all this other info when we go outside today!

The boy is 4 1/2. He did NOT do well in that seat at ALL. He apparently complained the whole trip down *my 19 year old beside him told me later.* He also 'hung' himself the whole way back home while he slept. Woke up whining 'it huuurts' a few times. Was TERRIBLE!

emandbri

My daughter is the 7 year old. Since her height is ok, does anyone think getting the Radian80 would be a better option than the Monterey?

The little girl with the face blurred is in some Britax I believe.

I think they are both good options. My son is 6 1/2 and I just moved him from the radian to the monterey. He has been asking to ride in a booster, it is easier when I pick him up from school, and made the mistake of letting my 3 year old use his seat when she peed in hers and then she peed in it on purpose just to sit in his seat! Now that his seat is out of the van she hasn't peed in hers again.

mrs_teeee67

Hayvon buckles herself in independently, so it's actually probably easier for her to get harnessed than it will be the 'real buckle'; but if it's only a tiny bit of time for the RN80, don't want to make a poor decision.

I plan to check the expiration but figure it'll be ok for the boy once I get Hayvon in her next seat. I'll just give the booster back to his mother

Just not willing to give up her harness until I HAVE too, even for another kiddo

mrs_teeee67

I think they are both good options. My son is 6 1/2 and I just moved him from the radian to the monterey. He has been asking to ride in a booster, it is easier when I pick him up from school, and made the mistake of letting my 3 year old use his seat when she peed in hers and then she peed in it on purpose just to sit in his seat! Now that his seat is out of the van she hasn't peed in hers again.

LOL.. kids'll teach US every time won't they? too funny

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
The van looks like a Caravan. You can put the Radian in the middle with the lap belt only. It fits perfect there, while leaving room on either side of other passengers.There should be a top tether spot on the back of the vehicle seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC