Ford F250s

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Dh's old Expedition is on its last legs. We're babying it to try and get to September but that may not happen. Dh wants a Ford F250. Ideally, we'd like the one with the full backseat, but that might be out of the budget.

So I'm looking for input on a regular cab vs. the one with the small backseat. It's the two of us, ds (4) and dss (14). Dss is with us only on the weekends. I have an 06 minivan, so generally it won't be a problem if we need to travel together to do it in my van.

Can we put ds in the center front bench? Do Ford F250s have any tethers in the regular cab? Or air bag switches? And if no, in the cab with the little backseat, can I safely put a Nautilus or Apex back there? Or a booster? Dh would definitely need to be able to transport ds to/from school, etc. sometimes.

Any input would be appreciated!

ADS

beeman

The first ones with the passenger airbag had the switch, however they switched to a sensor around 04?
Get the crew cab. They really aren't that much more, and honestly if the crew cab is out of budget, a truck is out of budget :twocents: . IMO, a standard cab is only good on a truck that needs a long flatbed, or covered box.
You may have issues installing seats in the rear seat of the extended cab, as the base hangs over the edge of the seat. If tether anchors are not available, they should be able to be installed. You won't have any regrets if you get the crew cab.

kathysr98

Another vote for sucking it up & getting the big one. The difference in price is small, and resale is significantly better on a crew cab. Plus, they have sooo much room. My dad just bought a crew cab F150 last week, and I can stretch as far as I like in it. A 250 would be even better!

mamajava

Senior Community Member
Yes, I agree...go with the 250! We have an '04 and its great! We do have top teathers behind the seats! And we have never had a problem installing any of our seats, and of the 3 that you mentioned we have the Nauti and a Turbobooster!

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I went back and looked just at dealer inventory sticker prices. And beeman is right. I was surprised there was NOT alot of difference in price between a regular cab and a crew cab. I see one F250XL regular cab for $32,900. And at the same dealership an F250XL super cab for $35,900. They stickers look pretty much the same as far as the engine, box, etc. So, yeah, if we can swing the regular it wouldn't make sense NOT to get the super. And I hadn't thought about resale. That's a good point too, although he will likely drive this truck until it falls apart.

The prices, though, for a frugal mom like me are enough to make me a little nauseous! :eek: LOL But dh has never had a brand new truck before. And he deserves it. And we'll be paying my car off shortly AND will no longer have a daycare weekly payment as of September (that's a big chunk of change!). So we can more than afford it. But I still don't WANT to have to pay it! :cool:

beeman

If I remember right the difference between the super cab and crew cab is even less than the difference between the regular cab and crew cab. You really want the four full doors :twocents: . If this is going to be the only brand new truck you get, get the right one with ALL the features that you want. It's a few more dollars, but then you're not buying one again in a few years to get the truck you want :twocents: .

TnT's Mom

My DH has a 2004 Ford F150 crew cab. The backseat is so roomy and I have never had any trouble installing my seats back there. The Nautilus fits great. I too would recommend going for the full back seat/four doors. I also hear you on the payment part of it...lol. DH's truck was his company vehicle and he loved it so much that we bought it when the lease was up in 2008. We had paid my car off literally the month before and I was so happy to not have a car payment...yeah that lasted all of one month...lol. Your DH will be in love with his new truck!

April

If I remember right the difference between the super cab and crew cab is even less than the difference between the regular cab and crew cab. You really want the four full doors :twocents: . If this is going to be the only brand new truck you get, get the right one with ALL the features that you want. It's a few more dollars, but then you're not buying one again in a few years to get the truck you want :twocents: .

I totally agree with this. For a couple bucks extra a month, you will kick yourself later if you don't get all of the features you want.

The only seat I'd really be concerned about would be a Nautilus because of the 100% rule. But do you have a Nautilus? You could always just try one out back there. Besides, I would think that if you can afford a $35k truck, you can afford a Frontier if the GN wouldn't work. :twocents: I also agree that the four full doors are a definite must. As for tether anchors, I would assume they are the fabric loop kind. Easy peasy to use, just not for an 86Y or anything like that. Although that wouldn't be an issue with an 09 because it will have l/s belt in all seating positions.

APT

The F250 Supercab (4 doors, rear suicide) rear bench seat is tiny. I would not want to put any child seats there if the front seats. The MSRP difference between the regular cab and Crew cab is about $6500 for the same model (www.forddirect.com). Expect to get about 20% off MSRP with discounts. The F250 is being redesigned for 2011, so you may want to consider the discounts on a 2010 vs. the improvements for 2011.

The F150 is a different vehicle with different cab dimensions.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC