Thoughts on MR vs CA

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I've been using both of these seats for awhile now, and thought I'd share my thoughts on them since I know we all like to read about seats. ;)

Overall, I've come to the conclusion that I like the Complete Air better than the MR. If the installation on it was just a little easier, and it had an integrated cup holder, it would win hands-down; no contest. The harness adjuster is smoother on it, and it's just generally easier to load and unload ds in it. He has more growing room in it, and he seems more comfortable in it too - though he's not uncomfortable in the MR.

I am happy with the MR. The installation of it is easy and it's the first convertible seat to not need a noodle when installed rf'ing in my Outlook. Even the Radian I can't get a newborn angle with even if I tighten the top tether as much as is humanly possible, yet the MR installs perfectly without a noodle.
I do find it more difficult in terms of loading and unloading, though our truck is high enough that I sit ds on the edge of the seat and then rotate him in to it. I think once summer comes and he's not wearing an extra sweater or boots that it will be easier, but it's hard to say for sure.
He doesn't have as much height room in the MR - not a deal breaker since he still has enough to get him rf'ing as long as I plan to keep him rf'ing. And while the harness is easy enough on the MR, it's not as smooth as the CA. I find it a little harder to position him in the seat than the CA because of the shell being deeper and narrower. It's not a problem - just an inconvenience. He does love the cupholders though, and sleeps well in the seat.
The other thing I've found is that the crotch depth is very deep. The seat could really do with a 2nd crotch buckle position for smaller kids. Ds has a skinny bum and is out of diapers now, and has a few inches space between his crotch and the buckle. We haven't had any problems with him sliding forward mind you, but I think there is potential for problems there.

All in all they're both nice seats and I'm happy with them both. I think I was just surprised when I came to the conclusion that I like the CA a bit more than the MR. :thumbsup:

Here's pic's of him in both - though he's asleep in the MR and covered in blankets... we'd just gotten back to my parents house and it was -25 (celcius) or there-bouts.

MR: (The pillow is behind his head. While he doesn't have more than about 2" growing room, he has more than it looks in this picture.)
1zp6wsg.jpg

~installed in a Saturn Outlook. 2nd row bench would be same as the Acadia, Enclave, or Traverse bench options.

CA: (Taken when I bought the seat end of September)
hsj50h.jpg

~installed in a Saturn Astra

For reference he is around 30lbs and 38.5" or so, and his torso is around 15.25" based on how he fits seats - I haven't actually measured it. ;)

ADS

Spam

:thumbsup: He's too cute :D The headwings on the ca don't bother him? A used to pull the headwings on our blvd, so I don't think he liked them. Does your lo have a preference?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC