News Child ejected from car in car seat today!

L

LuciaBella

Took place in the Central District today in Seattle, WA.
As I read the article I noticed it said the 3 year old was ejected. Notice the car seat that is on the ground is a Graco Snugride. Not sure about you guys, but most kids outgrow the snugride before their 1st birthday...I've never heard of any 3 yr old fitting in it unless they are maybe a dwarf.

This is a bad case of misuse. I hope the child is ok.
http://www.king5.com/news/local/Child-ejected-from-vehicle-in-Seattle-crash-80639202.html

ADS

Mae

Child safety seats are easier to install in newer model cars with a latch system. In older model cars it can be more difficult. But we still don't know why that car seat ejected or who is at fault. That is something police will determine in the days and weeks ahead.

:scratcheshead:

I'm willing to bet that the child was too big for the seat, at three years old.

Incredibly sad. :(

L

LuciaBella

Yeah, and I guess the 7 yr old that was in the car too was also hospitalized. I'm assuming they used the snugride for the 7 yr old whom is not probably not even in a booster. They probably had the snugride FF with the 3 yr old in it.

Cryssy Jane

I just heard this on the news. Scary. But I would love to see how a 3 year old could properly fit in a snugride. I know some peanuts and at 3 they either way outgrew it by height or just barely by weight.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

Yeah, I don't even see how on earth it's something that will require much investigation. Seems like it would be highly improbable that a 3yr old would fit in a Snugride.. How many 3yr olds are under 22lbs? And I noticed the handle was in an unapproved location in the picture, so how on earth the kid was even in the seat and buckled baffles me - unless the handle was moved after the fact of course...

Apparently both the 3yr old and the 7yr old are currently in the intensive care unit but both are expected to make it.

kphil

Thanks for posting the link. I heard the story on the radio today and was wondering how on earth that happened too, but it makes more sense now, seeing that it was a 3yo in an infant seat. Sad :(. I hope they all end up okay.

canadiangie

One time I helped a family in a BRU parking lot who had their 3 year old in a ff Century infant seat with the handle rotated back (would be the same as "position c" had it been a SR) with the lapbelt fed through the belt path and the shoulder portion between the shell of the seat and the handle. It was a 3 point harness, which was buckled over her, the seat was bolt upright, her head was completely above the shell.

They had no idea it was a problem.

I rarely stop people on the street, but I nearly lost my lunch when I saw that sweet little girl get buckled that way.

Please no one ask me what the outcome of my helping was. I still debate what the lesser of the two evils was in that situation. :whistle:

But yeah, things like this happen.

The other day, in the same parking lot I saw someone with an expired OHS Evenflo seat with the lap/shoulder belt routed in front of the seat... like it was a booster. The baby who was riding beside her was in a ff baseless Designer 22, lap/shoulder through the belt path.

It happens. Everyday. :(

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I hadn't heard of that.

As awful as the misuse was, this falls into the category of "better than nothing." My guess is that she was just in the seat and it wasn't buckled in. The seven year old was probably in nothing. But because the three year old was strapped into *something*, when she was ejected it saved her life. Her spine didn't hit, her head may have had some protection.

Wendy

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I had that infant seat for the boys, I bought it in Oct 03 so it's a 20# infant seat and expired by now more than likely.

L

LuciaBella

Yeah, most likely it was used for the 7 yr old then passed down. Assuming they are siblings. So sad. I hope they make it.

I've seen several buckets FF before, especially in Southern California. There's not enough information on there. My cousin actually asked me if her bucket could turn around. She's a very intelligent person and is a teacher, so I don't think they have big enough stickers or warnings! I know there are pictures.

I'm guessing the kid was FF, buckled into the seat, but the seat itself was not buckled into the car, hence being a projectile.

arly1983

I *just* saw a five month old in a FFing in a snugride at C's school today. I see FFing infant seats all.the.time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC