AHHHHH my DD wasn't buckled in!!

ginny4

:eek: i drove my big guys to their religious classes this evening & my 2 lil ones fell asleep on the way...i didn;t want to wake them for the hour they would be there so i sat in the car part time & went in the house for a few to start dinner then sat in car again. i then drive back to the church (15min round trip) to pick up the big guys, return home to find out my DD had unbuckeld, at some point & fell back to sleep so she didn;t tell me she wasn't strapped in (she usually tells us she's not ready if we move an inch) i never looked back at her to check on her. OMG i was so :mad: with myself for not checking on her again. OMG it wasn't intentional at all but OMG what if something happened i would never have forgiven myself. thank the LORD we returned back home safe & sound. reminder to self: to check & check again before putting the car in gear.

ADS

amyd

I did something similar once, except it wasn't my DS it was my daycare kiddo:eek: I almost died:(

TnT's Mom

I almost started driving out of my garage the other day and DS#2 wasn't fully buckled in! Thankfully he immediately told me as soon as the car started to move. His tone of voice was so accusatory..."Mommy, I'm not buckled...stop the car!" I don't know how I thought I had buckled him and hadn't!

Also, another reminder is to check that the seat itself is buckled in. I have gotten in the habit of giving his carseat a tug each time when he is climbing in because one day after we arrived home from an outing I realized his carseat was not buckled in...he was harnessed correctly in his Nautilus but the Nautilus was loose on the seat...the seatbelt was through the back of the Nautilus but not clicked in! I was horrified! I have no idea how it came unbuckled! So my advice to everyone is check your seats every time you put your children in!

Mom2FiveGirls

Thanks for the reminder! We were on the way to the store a few days ago and I turn around and notice that DD#5 is sitting forward more than she should have been able to and it dawned on me that I hadn't buckled her in! I had gone back in the house to get something and thought DH was going to put her in her car seat. He assumed I had done it (she climbed in her seat herself). Obviously neither of us had. We immediately pulled over and I got out and buckled her in, but it scared me to death!

Mommy2Marcus

Thanks for the reminder. However the other day I stopped at the gas station & went in to pay for gas & get a drink. When we got back out to the car I let Marcus in out of the cold & told him to get in his seat. I then checked the oil, pumped gas, got in buckled myslef & drove off. I stopped at the red light & Marcus told me that he needed to be buckled. Luckily there was a place to pull over right after that & buckle him. I was so upset & :mad: at myself as well. From now on I buckle him right away!

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I did this to DS1 right after his brother was born. I told N to climb into his seat and went on to buckle G in. Being insanely sleep deprived, I completely forgot to go and finish buckling N (he could only do his chest clip at the time). I was absolutely horrified and almost in hysterics about all the 'what ifs' that could have happened.

So glad nothing happened!

flutie128

I did that when DS was a baby. He was in the infant seat with a blanket over top and I completely forgot to check to make sure his harness was done. I felt so bad when we got to the store and I found out my baby wasn't buckled in.

TiaxMarie

How scary! We did that once driving home from the IL's house. Stopped to change the baby's diaper (she was only 3 weeks old!) and didn't buckle her back up! 4 hours later when we got home, I went to take her out and noticed. I litterally felt like I was going to puke.

lil.miss32

Back in October, early November, we were all super sick. I had to go pick DH up from work, and so I put Michael in his carseat. I don't know HOW I managed to get him in without buckling him, as he doesn't climb in on his own.
I had barely pulled out of the subdivision when I hear him giggling. I turned around to see him standing there peeking over his seat at me!! GAH!! I pulled over immediately and was in tears by the time I reached his door!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC