NYC taxi's and car seats, WWYD?

Colleen

My DD wants to take a trip to NYC to see the American Girl Doll Museum. Sounds great but....what the heck do you do about car seats in NYC taxis? Part of me says not to worry about because most of the time your just barely rolling stuck in traffic, and can you picture lugging around a Regent? Do I get 2 cheap backless boosters just for the trip? But then you still have to carry those around NYC. Do taxis even let you install your seat in them?:confused:

ADS

southpawboston

My DD wants to take a trip to NYC to see the American Girl Doll Museum. Sounds great but....what the heck do you do about car seats in NYC taxis? Part of me says not to worry about because most of the time your just barely rolling stuck in traffic, and can you picture lugging around a Regent? Do I get 2 cheap backless boosters just for the trip? But then you still have to carry those around NYC. Do taxis even let you install your seat in them?:confused:

and the remaining time the taxi is barreling down the avenues at 50 mph!!! given that, and the fact that so many of those taxi drivers are inexperienced/unsafe drivers, i wouldn't chance it. i assume you'll be with her? are you taking the train to NYC (i see you live in new england)? where exactly is the american doll museum? can you take the subway?

the taxis should let you install a carseat, no problem. most of the taxis are ford crown victorias and have rear seatbelts. they also technically shouldn't start the clock until the seat is in and you're ready to roll. :) we did that with two carseats in a NYC taxi... the clock was stopped during seat installation and removal!

Splash

Oh yeah, they let you.
We went to NYC in November and luckily my son still *barely* fit in his SafeSeat1 (and only if we used paper diapers). But really, we only took a cab a few times.
I would take the Subway. Really. It's cheap and fun and SO efficient and convenient. Take the Subway and walk most places. Take the backless booster with you for the drive to and from the airport and maybe one or two taxi trips while you're there, but you will likely never need a taxi. You can walk most places, and take the subway everywhere else. For taxi times, a backless booster for a nine year old is perfectly acceptable IMO. Unless you're talking about your younger daughter... in that case I would probably still use a backless for her, even though she's under the weight limit (maybe you can find one with a 30 pound weight limit?)

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
Is your younger daughter really 33 pounds? Any chance she's slightly heavier? I'd consider the RideSafer travel vest too (it has a 35 pounds lower limit - so it works if she's a few pounds heavier) if you think you'll be in taxis, rather than on public transportation.

Colleen

Yeah there both real little, preemie. we just weighed them 2 weeks ago when deciding to upgrade thier seats. Shakira could still RF, but I wasn't going to buy a BV just for 2 more lbs of RF. I believe we would take the train right into penn station from Boston. The hotel we plan to stay at is only 1 block away from the station. I do plan to walk around everywhere if we can (love the NY workout!) plus saves some $$$ to go to Barneys :)!So subways are the better bet? How did you haul a carseat around NYC? (The Muesum is somewhere there, its on Americangirl.com)

Splash

Us, personally? We put it in his stroller. But our taxi rides consisted of from the airport to the hotel, and from the hotel to a party in Harlem (and back to the hotel). Other than that, we walked or took the subway. A friend met us there on our last day and did the driving to the attractions we were doing together and back to the airport, and we left the seat in her car then.
A backless booster would fit in the basket of a stroller, or even in a shoulder bag. Or a RideSafer vest could fit in either as well. But really, the subways are so excellent, there won't be much need for a taxi. I have tons of friends in NYC and most of them use a taxi extremely rarely. I have one friend who hasn't been in a taxi in over a year!

southpawboston

agreed. if you're taking a train into penn, no need for taxis! just make sure you bring your favorite stroller (preferably a larger one that can store a lot of stuff).

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
NYC taxis are generally quite new with LATCH + top tether + center shoulder belts ... I would use Ride Safer Travel Vests in NYC: easier to carry & store when not in the taxi ;)

swags

Having lived in NYC for several years we expirenced this alot. You have several options. The first is the taxi, yes you will be allowed to install a carseat but most will stat the meter running as soon as they stop for you. and it can deffinately be a pain to carry a car seat around with you. Second is to walk. Bring a good comfy stroller some good walking shoes. The third is opthe subway, a really good option, just remember if you are using a stroller that most NYC subway stations do not have an elevator so you will need to carry the stroller up and down a couple flights of sometimes steep steps. Once up and down the steps put DC back in the stroller and DC can stay in the stroller for the ride, ask the attendant to buzz you through the special access so you can roll the stroller right through and dont have to fight with the turnstiles. Your last option is to ride the bus, it can be slow depending on how far you are going but easier in some ways. Again bring a stroller that is easie to fold you will need to fold it up while on the bus. Hope this helps. :)

Colleen

Is the vest this one? Safe Traffic Systems Ride Safer Travel Vest $99.99 . i thought they were smaller and red plush, this one at elite car seats is grey. That would be great, and easier to tote around (big handbags are in away this season:cool: ) Do people use these daily, or just in a pinch traveling?

Qarin

I have heard that NYC taxis can be hard to hail if you have a carseat (that is... they just won't stop). Any truth to this, from someone who lives there with kids? (I heard this from a friend whose wife is due with their first baby in June, and are not currently planning on getting an infant seat before taking the baby home from the hospital).

southpawboston

i don't live there, but i have family there and i have travelled there often with my kids. i have not had that happen, although i have only hailed a cab a few times while toting carseats. i might see why they would want to keep going, thinking it's not worth their time (not saying that's right, just saying...)

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Kind of off topic, but something you may want to check. When a friend went to the American Girl place a few years ago, the kids had to be 6 or older to go to the Revue show. Her younger kids had to stay out with her husband. I don't want you to be disappointed if you can't take you younger daughter to the show!
Renee

OK, I just looked at the AG place site. For the American Girl Review, its 6 and up, but there is a Bitty Baby show for younger kids!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC