Best stroller for grocery shopping?

InternationalMama

Hi! I should start off by saying I really don't know anything about strollers. :eek:

I'm looking for a stroller for grocery shopping. I'd like to be able to push it to the grocery store in all four seasons and fit a bunch of groceries in the basket. I'd love a huge basket.

Do any particular strollers come to your mind? Thanks!

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The UPPAbaby Vista has a HUGE basket and decent all season wheels depending on how much snow you get. I owned one and enjoyed it but I like my Musty 4Rider better which they also sell a removable shopping basket for (the basket that comes with is small but a great place for a diaper bag). The removable basket has a 22# weight capacity, so you can shop along with it if you desire, then pack up your bags when you pay, put the basket back on the stroller and the bags into the basket. Here's a link to a video on Mutsy's shopping basket http://www.babystrollerdemonstrations.com/Shopping-Basket/p/BS1051?a=mutsy.com

One problem with the Vista basket, is the manual says "maximum for the storage bag is 5 pounds" which seems REALLY little and makes that large basket quite useless unless you're just storing jackets and light stuff. I'd check with UPPAbaby on that.

The Musty should be easy for you to find since it's sold all over Europe.

All of this will depend on what you consider "a bunch" of groceries though!

noahsmom24

xursusmaritimusx -
Your DS is absolutely GORGEOUS! Every time I see your Sig she reminds me so much of Shirley Temple. :) She is just beautiful.
How could you ever say NO to that face! lol :(

Back on topic lol The Uppa stroller looks really neat actually! Not something I'd be interested in but looks like they are starting to go a little further with use of strollers which is nice, Wonder what will be on our strollers in another 10-20years? lol

InternationalMama

Thanks for the recs so far. I should have said: This stroller is for use in the US. Although European recs are always welcome, especially if there is something you'd recommend buying here and bringing back to the States. I wish I knew more about strollers!

The stroller that Britax makes for the Chaperone *looks* like it has a really large basket. Does anybody know if it actually does??

xursusmaritimusx

xursusmaritimusx -
Your DS is absolutely GORGEOUS! Every time I see your Sig she reminds me so much of Shirley Temple. :) She is just beautiful.
How could you ever say NO to that face! lol :(

Back on topic lol The Uppa stroller looks really neat actually! Not something I'd be interested in but looks like they are starting to go a little further with use of strollers which is nice, Wonder what will be on our strollers in another 10-20years? lol

awwwwww thanks..... :)
it really is hard say no... good thing im a hardass hahaha now DH on the other hand....... :whistle:

i like the uppa too! never seen that one before. i can see how awesomely practical that would be for folks in super urban areas.

noahsmom24

I was looking through the chariot strollers/trailers etc,.. and people ski with their children? :eek: I would think this is to dangerous. Please keep in mind that I've never skied myself & I have also never seen anyone ski before besides on tv and even then I never watched for long. Wow!

I however do think Bicycling with your child is dangerous as well, we do at least once a week and use to do up to 6miles per day he would sleep and I would ride, or we would both just enjoy the scenery. We always took back well known slower roads or I'll drive us to a BIG parking lot to do laps and we can also stretch our legs.

Totally off topic, but anywho I was just :eek: by skiing with your child.

lovinwaves

I was looking through the chariot strollers/trailers etc,.. and people ski with their children? :eek: I would think this is to dangerous. Please keep in mind that I've never skied myself & I have also never seen anyone ski before besides on tv and even then I never watched for long. Wow!

Totally off topic, but anywho I was just :eek: by skiing with your child.

It's a cross-country ski kit for the chariot, not down-hill alpine skiing silly :p

My kids where helmets while in their bicycled pulled chariot, but depending on the terrain, I probably wouldn't make them while pulling them on the ski.

noahsmom24

lol!!!! :ROTFLMAO::doh: :eek: Ok I see the difference now LOL when I thought skiing I thought this:
__
- - \
- - - \ <---hill.
- - - - \

Wow, There was my blonde moment for the day. Be rest assured there will be more. ;)
:whistle:

WOW!

noahsmom24

My son also wears a helmet in his Schwinn Bicycle Trailer as well. Me Walking him in his stroller and him riding in his trailer are some of his favorite things to do. :)

lovinwaves

So are you suggesting getting a bike trailer and using that as a stroller/for groceries? Because I was actually just thinking about this today. Or does chariot also make strollers?

These options everyone is giving are great, but man this is a lot of $$$. And I thought car seats were expensive!

Yes, well sort of. The Chariot IS a stroller, and hiker, and ski, and trailer, and jogger... You just buy the conversion kit for whatever you need: http://www.chariotcarriers.com/english/html/conversion_kits.php

One Chariot will do it all (the exception is the model "Cabriolet" which only does 3 conversion kits, instead of all 5, but it may just have the 3 you only need, ya know?)

ETA: This is my Chariot...The Cougar 2.

Photo_022509_004.jpg

Photo_022509_003.jpg

Photo_022509_002.jpg

lovinwaves

See that bag on the back? Well it expands OUT, so you could put a ton of groceries in there. You can also put groceries in the trailer with your kids, because it's huge in there. My kids bring all kinds of toys with them when we go out riding. Our dog rides in there with them as well.

We moved from a house that was closer to town a few years ago. I am totally bummed, because now they built sidewalks through our WHOLE town and of course we dont' live there anymore. If we did, I would have taken my Chariot all over town for errands, and grocery shopping.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Hey lovin, do I need a Chariot for after the baby is due in September? DD2 will be 4 and I'll be on maternity leave for a year. I've got the Mutsy with step-up board, but I don't think that will work for us in all the snow and cold weather. It's not like we'll be going out a lot from Nov. - April, but I'd like to have the option on nicer days. So, baby in the sling/bivvy things and 4 year old next to baby? Obviously just walking. But I actually have to *need* it as DH is already getting whiny asking why we'd need ANYTHING new at all for this one....:p I just want to make sure there is plenty of room for a 4 year old and right up until she's 5 as we'd use it the following summer when we go camping as well.

We've got a nice Trek bike trailer right now, but it's only for one child and even if we had the 2-child model, they don't have an infant sling thingy. The Chariot just looked more cramped than our Trek which is super spacious.

InternationalMama

Thanks, Lovinwaves. This is awesome. I definitely think this is what we want. My husband is desperate for a bike trailer and it looks like you can put a week's worth of groceries in that thing. My dream come true. :)

How do you think they do in the winter? I notice they have a ski conversion kit so I guess the part the kids ride in must be pretty weather resistant. What about the wheels for snow-ish sidewalks etc.?

lovinwaves

I haven't taken mine out in the snow yet, but just from my experience with tires, I think it would do awesome. The tires are air of course, and large in diameter. That will help navigate over the rough snow terrain.

The Chariot also comes with an adjustable suspension that you adjust to your kids weight. That helps absorbs bumps and such.

Since Chariot is from Canada there are several members here with Chariots that could probably answer your question more about the snow and ice.

I can tell you though that is a weather resistant, and see that rolled up clear shade on the top of mine? That comes down, and then the kids are water-proof, and weather proof. Throw some blankets in there, and they get pretty toasty. Of course, I don't live in Canada, but this morning when I put the kids on the school bus it was -4 F :eek:

I have no issues taking the kids out in the cold in the Chariot, knowing they will be protected. It's my lungs that can't handle it :( So hopefully some Canadians will chime in. I know member Jewels has one. It's actually this forum that talked me into getting a Chariot. They are very very high quality, and you do get what you pay for. I'm sure my resale value will be quite high as well :)

Oh, and I just snapped these photos as well. This is how we store it. It folds up quite nicely :) We just made a simple bracket for it, and hang it on the wall in the garage.

21044_260671049413_612249413_4405829_5891052_n.jpg

21044_260671134413_612249413_4405830_3007111_n.jpg

noahsmom24

Our Schwinn also converts to a stroller but the Cougar 2 looks SUPER nice, compared to my lower end Scwhinn. I haven't looked into the Chariot trailers enough, but I'm guessing these don't have the dreaded Sling seats?
My Schwinn has the sling seats and I hate them because my son just slides and slides so I have to stop a lot to fix him.. :mad:
But it works of course.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC