Question Will an Advocate fit in a Mazda 5?

C

CaitlynsMommy

Hi,

We have an '09 Mazda 5. My daughter is almost 6 months so I've been researching convertible seats. We'll probably buy a Britax. I'm just trying to decide which one! I've read that the Advocate is a huge seat so I was wondering if anyone had any experience in putting one in a Mazda 5. I'd hate to spend time and energy researching/considering it if it's too big for our "mini mini-van".

Thank you!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If it's the only seat back there it should fit. But can I ask, why Britax, and why that one? For about a million dollars less you can get a seat that will have a longer lifespan, higher top slots, taller shell, higher weight limits (or at least equal), more leg room.

Wendy

C

CaitlynsMommy

DD is our only child right now but we hope to have at least one more. So, I guess the Advocate isn't the best choice for us.

It was just one of the ones I looked at. I am open to different seats and brands. :)

smileybrea

CPS Technician
We have the Advocate and it is a massive seat! As Wendy said, I'm sure it will fit but I wish I had a different seat. Don't get me wrong, I love the seat and so does Cohen but the only reason we got it is because MIL bought it and insisted on Britax and had to have the "best of the best", since it was the "latest and greatest" that's what she bought. As much as I love the seat, I know he's going to outgrow the RF limits before I'm ready as he has a long torso and the shell just won't be tall enough for him, RF and FF. I'm 99% sure we'll be buying a Radian in the near future.

GL with whatever you decide!

chay

I'd echo Wendy's comments.

If however you still decide on one it should fit fine. From what I've seen it is a Marathon/Boulevard shell with some padding glued on to the sides. Front to back I would expect it to be the same as Marathon and it would only take up more space widthwise. Since 3 across is never an issue in a Mazda 5, seat width is a little irrelevant.

A Marathon fits FF and RF in all 4 seat positions in my 08 Mazda 5. RF at 45 degrees will impact driver/passenger leg room but isn't a problem with it more upright. I can't remember if I had to move the 2nd row up to RF 3rd row. Getting a rock solid FF install in the 3rd row took me a couple tries but once you figure the tricks out it is pretty easy.

All that said, I'll be replacing my MA with a Radian XTSL in the next week so I have a seat that can RF longer, with more leg room and eventually FF longer as well (although I won't be able to use it FF in the 3rd row - it apparently won't install there). There are other options if you want to be able to RF/FF in any of the 4 seats though.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Ok then. :) How much does she weigh, and does she have a long torso (you can know because you'll be buying shirts in a size bigger than pants so they fit her length)?

For a lightweight long torso baby I'd look at the Learning Curve True Fit first. For a heavier long torso baby I'd look at the Radian 80SL or XTSL (45 pounds rear facing!). For a shorter torsoed baby I'd probably look at the Graco My Ride First. My other two top five are the Safety 1st Complete Air and the Evenflo Triumph Advance.

Wendy

C

CaitlynsMommy

She has an average to long torso and is 15lbs. I have looked at the Safety 1st Air. Some of the reviews said it was hard to install RF'ing but, overall, it seems like a good seat. I'll check out the others you mentioned.

Thank you all for your help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC