Side by Side Carseats Possible?- What midsize SUV?

htwins2010

We are currently looking for a midsize SUV to fit out two carseats, The First Years C630 True Fit Convertible, in the following position:

RF - Center
RF - Outboard Driver side

We have been told by friends that this is impossible, that we will need to place each seat on an outboard position.

However, I have seen pictures here where there are up to 3 seats in the second row, which confirms to me that it's not possible.

So now I am hoping that I can receive feedback from those who have tried to set up the seats side by side in a midsize SUV.

Thank you so much for your help. We are expecting twins within the next 8 weeks and need to finalize this one very important task.

ADS

firemomof3

Yes you can fit 3 car seats across, many of us do :) BUT the TF is a very wide seat so I'm not sure if placing them next to each other is going to possible unless you get something with a huge 2nd row seat.
Why can't you place them outboard?
For midsize SUVs I would look at the Honda Pilot :thumbsup:

jess71903

Ambassador
I have a 2006 Ford Explorer and a True Fit. I can get a RF Radian center next to it. I can *almost* get a Safeseat 1 next to it, but not quite. An infant seat that was a little narrower would probably work just fine.

htwins2010

The thought process behind avoiding outboard position is safety (I have read that the safest seating arrangement is center and driver side outboard) and the convenience that another adult could sit in the 2nd row more confortably (and not try to squeeze into the center inbetween the 2 chairs)

Is it really 'safer' to sit them center and outboard driver?
I have read great reviews on the TF. Is there a similar safe car seat that may be smaller?

Thank you. Pilot is one of the contenders and I have heard good things about it.

htwins2010

I have a 2006 Ford Explorer and a True Fit. I can get a RF Radian center next to it. I can *almost* get a Safeseat 1 next to it, but not quite. An infant seat that was a little narrower would probably work just fine.

I have read good things on the TF in terms of safety. Do you have any recommendations for a smaller car seat that is just as well rated?

jess71903

Ambassador
The thought process behind avoiding outboard position is safety (I have read that the safest seating arrangement is center and driver side outboard) and the convenience that another adult could sit in the 2nd row more confortably (and not try to squeeze into the center inbetween the 2 chairs)

Is it really 'safer' to sit them center and outboard driver?
I have read great reviews on the TF. Is there a similar safe car seat that may be smaller?

Thank you. Pilot is one of the contenders and I have heard good things about it.

It is safer, but pretty minimally so. The idea is that the center is the furthest possible place from any impact. If you get hit on the driver's side, the passenger side is the safest. I only have 1 kiddo right now (at least for another day or 2!) and he is currently outboard for my convenience of lifting his big butt into and out of the car. Convenience doesn't usually trump safety for me at all, but the safety benefit is so minimal that it does in this case.

I have read good things on the TF in terms of safety. Do you have any recommendations for a smaller car seat that is just as well rated?

Any supposed "safety ratings" you saw were either made up or were actually ease of use ratings. All seats on the market pass the same tests and must be considered equally safe provided that they fit your child, fit your vehicle, and are used correctly EVERY time you are in the car.

That said, the Radian seats are the narrowest on the market. They have tall shells and top slots and tend to take up a lot of room front-to-back, but you can usually get 3 across with Radians in mid-size cars (and a lot of times in small cars, too!).

trippsmom

CPST Instructor

My siggy pic is a TFP and Snugride (outboard and center) in a 2004 Explorer. Like Jess said, the SR32 (similar if not same size as Safeseat1) just barely didn't work. I bet I could get a Radian and do three across since an adult can ride beside the kids in the second row.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I also want to let you know that I can flip the driver side (the empty 2nd row seat) forward to allow people to get to the back row. We had 4 adults, 1 -110lb 12yo, and my two seats/kids, in the car for a trip over the holiays.

htwins2010

[That said, the Radian seats are the narrowest on the market. They have tall shells and top slots and tend to take up a lot of room front-to-back, but you can usually get 3 across with Radians in mid-size cars (and a lot of times in small cars, too!).[/QUOTE]

There are several Radian models...are there any significant differences or one that is more recommended than the other?

jess71903

Ambassador
There are several Radian models...are there any significant differences or one that is more recommended than the other?[/QUOTE]

Well, the former Radian 65, 80, and XT RF to 40lbs and FF to 65, 80, and 80 respectively (although few kids will even get to 65lbs in them, much less 80).

The new Radian 65SL RF to 40lbs FF to 65lbs, the 80SL and XTSL RF to 45lbs and FF to 80lbs. The SL models have "Superlatch" that allow using the lower anchors to install in a vehicle manufactured Sept 05 or later to the 65 or 80lb weight limit of the seat instead of the usual 40 or 48lb limit the vehicle manufacturers mandate.

The XT models have head wings, the others do not. The 80 and XT models all come with infant inserts. The 65s do not.

ETA: they are all on the same shell mold, though, so all are the same size.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I was surprised I could squeeze Graco's SafeSeat and Nautilus next to each other in my sister's Chevy Equinox (not using LATCH, though. The 'centre' LATCH in the Equinox is off-centred.) :twocents::thumbsup:

htwins2010

Well, the former Radian 65, 80, and XT RF to 40lbs and FF to 65, 80, and 80 respectively (although few kids will even get to 65lbs in them, much less 80).

Really... Why is that? What is the alternative once 65lbs? a booster?

The XT models have head wings, the others do not. The 80 and XT models all come with infant inserts. The 65s do not..

Are the head wings a good thing???? Can they be removed for added space while in RF position?

jess71903

Ambassador
Really... Why is that? What is the alternative once 65lbs? a booster?

Most kids outgrow most seats by height before weight, and the Radian seats are no exception. Most forward facing seats are outgrown by height when a) the shoulders go above the top harness slots, or b) the tops of the child's ears go above the top of the seat shell. The Radians allow the shoulders to be over the top slots as long as the ears are still contained in the shell (although some techs aren't comfy with that). Looking at a weight chart, the average 9 year old boy is 61.6lbs. The average 6 year old boy is 46.2lbs. A typical 6 year old is more than mature enough to sit properly in a booster. So, yes, the next step is a booster.

Are the head wings a good thing???? Can they be removed for added space while in RF position?

Head wings are kind of a matter of preference. They are supposed to add additional side-impact protection for the head, and I'm sure they do. We just don't really know how much since there are no standards for side impact testing here. Some kids love them to sleep on. Some kids hate them because they obstruct their view. I don't have a strong preference one way or another and will be buying my son an 80SL without wings.

htwins2010

Most kids outgrow most seats by height before weight, and the Radian seats are no exception. Most forward facing seats are outgrown by height when a) the shoulders go above the top harness slots, or b) the tops of the child's ears go above the top of the seat shell. The Radians allow the shoulders to be over the top slots as long as the ears are still contained in the shell (although some techs aren't comfy with that). Looking at a weight chart, the average 9 year old boy is 61.6lbs. The average 6 year old boy is 46.2lbs. A typical 6 year old is more than mature enough to sit properly in a booster. So, yes, the next step is a booster.

Head wings are kind of a matter of preference. They are supposed to add additional side-impact protection for the head, and I'm sure they do. We just don't really know how much since there are no standards for side impact testing here. Some kids love them to sleep on. Some kids hate them because they obstruct their view. I don't have a strong preference one way or another and will be buying my son an 80SL without wings.

Thank you so much for all your input:)

canadiangie

I can get a SS1 in the middle of my Explorer and a rf TF beside it. :confused:

Friends of ours have an '02 Explorer with a SS1 in the middle and their dd's rf TF outboard beside it. I helped with the install. Outboard TF installed with seatbelt, SS1 installed with seatbelt (obviously).

OP, you can look at the Pilot, but keep in mind the middle LATCH anchors are off-set towards the driver's side. You'll probably have to use the seatbelt to install in the middle if you want to have another car seat beside it, and keep in mind the middle seatbelt of the Pilot is notorious for being a pain the butt with car seats (not impossible, but certainly challenging for most parents).

Are you wanting the babies side by side so that someone can sit in the backseat with them?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC