Great response from DD's friends mother!

swtgi1982

I started talking to her the other day and asked her if she knew about ERFing and all, since her youngest is soon to turn one. She looked at me baffled, and I thought I was gonna get an argument with her or a fight or something. She looked at me and said "Isn't that what your supposed to do? I didn't know that anyone turned their kids earlier." In response to RF until the max on the convertible seat. She told me that DD's friend, her oldest son, 3.5 almost four was turned just a few days shy of three yrs old. He is a very tall boy and outgrew his seat RF by height. (Which I honestly believe, since he is two heads taller then any kids in their class!)

Last edited:
ADS

tjham

That would shock me too.
Glad you had such a good response!
Definitely out of the ordinary!

:thumbsup:

swtgi1982

That would shock me too.
Glad you had such a good response!
Definitely out of the ordinary!

Small school only 11 kids in her class, and like 80 families in whole school and I chose to talk to the one who knew all about it already!

Kat_Momof3

yay! what you encountered is a rare species... you see, these people READ their manuals... and actually PAY ATTENTION to what they are reading... they probably saw in them that kids can rearface to these limits... realized with LOGIC and thinking with PHYSICS in their minds that it is safer to rearface... and figured... why shouldn't I just use it as long as possible this way?

I know... bold concept... huh?? :love:

kmarcus

yeah, kat - that is what i don't get...when my son was turning 1, i thought "well...if it was safest for him to RF up until now, why is it suddenly NOT necessary???" this just made me feel uncomfortable...so i did my own research and found out that it still was the safest. i guess i feel like your maternal protection instincts (not to mention logic) would kick in a little here and second guess this magical day where RF isn't necessary for the safest ride. glad this lady did the same thing!

i swear, people (family members even) look at me like i have 3 heads when they see me putting DS in his RF seat!!! i'm like "DOESN'T IT MAKE SENSE IN YOUR MIND????? PHYSICS???!" sorry... :)

Jonah Baby

Excellent.

And this is when you chime in about extended harnessing and proper booster age for her 4 year old.

You're right - it is "common sense" that if children were required to ride RFing for safety reasons before 1, why shouldn't they after 1, but I wasn't clued in to that either when Jo was that age.
Seems so silly to me now because it makes such sense!

DP has a lot of friends that I try to talk about ERF and EH with. Some of them because they are or are becoming parents, but mostly because I know that the auto mechanics understand the crash physics better than the average joe and will pass along their knowledge. To date, only one fellow mechanic he knows won't properly restrain his children, but everyone else now does or understands what should be done to keep their future kids safe.

I started talking to her the other day and asked her if she knew about ERFing and all, since her youngest is soon to turn one. She looked at me baffled, and I thought I was gonna get an argument with her or a fight or something. She looked at me and said "Isn't that what your supposed to do? I didn't know that anyone turned their kids earlier." In response to RF until the max on the convertible seat. She told me that DD's friend, her oldest son, 3.5 almost four was turned just a few days shy of three yrs old. He is a very tall boy and outgrew his seat RF by height. (Which I honestly believe, since he is two heads taller then any kids in their class!)

Did you ask her what her c-s.org screen name is? (and if she doesn't have one, please invite her over to join the online car seat geek party:D)

swtgi1982

Excellent.

And this is when you chime in about extended harnessing and proper booster age for her 4 year old.

Been there done that! She took the convertible from her oldest and passed it on to the youngest and got her 4yr old a seat to stay harnessed longer. She said to me "four is when they can go in a booster right?" and I said not really safe at that age and explained why and she said it made sense. Yes I invited her here, have not seen her yet and no she is not on here!

Her DH had to watch crash test videos in his training for being a police officer and he is the car seat geek there! Although I think I got her going too:whistle:

I am still working on one of the other mothers!:whistle:
I gave her info before Christmas break at school and when we go back on Tuesday hopefully she will have read it and be ready to talk. I also sent her some of you guys video links. Her 3yr old is FF and much smaller then my DD (she just turned 3 in late Oct) they also have a newly one yr old FF. The one yr old is what I am making a priority, as I know money it tight with them, so a new RF seat for 3yr old out of question, but one yr old is in a FF convertible, so I could swing that one possibly with her!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC