Belt install of radian in a saturn ION.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Anyone ever managed to do this successfully?

I tried it out in my car today in the outboard position and engaged the ALR... even tried twisting the buckle stalk once - it seemed to short to twist anymore than that. And while it seemed tight initially, a few good shakes at the base along the belt path and the thing was moving a good 4 or 5". I was only trying it ff'ing because I have latch and was mainly concerned about width and if it would install ff'ing with a belt...

We have latch in our car, but if I'm going to get the radian it would be to plan to use for the extended harness weight. It doesn't look like it'd install very well next to my marathon anyways, but thought I'd ask if anyone had managed to get a good belt install anyways.

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I don't know how the rear seat in the Ion compares to the rear seat in DH's Saturn L100 mid-size model. But in case it would help, here's what worked for me to install the Radian FF using the seatbelt in the L100 rear center seating position: I had to extend the Radian's forward facing only recline foot, twist the female buckle stalk one time (which was the limit of twisting it because it's very short, sounds similar to the belt in your Ion), and lock the shoulder belt at the retractor. Otherwise there was way more than an inch of movement at the Radian's belt path. The center position in the L100 has a slight hump and the rear seat cushion is angled slightly toward the vehicle seat back. I didn't try a lower LATCH anchor installation because DD is 44 lbs. and wanted to make sure I could get a tight seatbelt installation.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
By lock the shoulder belt at the retractor, do you mean pull it all the way out so that the lock engages, or are you talking about a locking clip? (I just can't imagine the locking clip there?)

Our seatbelt stalks are short too, and our back seat does slope. I imagine it is quite similar. So maybe a center install with belt would be possible. So maybe the radian isn't completely out of the question then.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Right, I meant to pull the shoulder belt out all the way until the locking retractor engages. Sorry for my vague description earlier. :eek: Fingers crossed the Radian can be installed successfully in your Ion. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC