Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Safe Rider Travel Vest

I am traveling to Slovakia in July with my dds. I have decided to go with the Safe Rider Travel Vest for my oldest, she will be a month shy of 5. I am in Canada however, and I am wondering who sells them, and whether or not I can get it shipped here. If not, my husband does have a friend who has a US address that we can ship to, but I would prefer to use that as a last resort. Thanks!
    Mommy to
    Mya-6, FF Frontier, HB TB & Monterey
    Addison-4, FF Frontier & True Fit
    Brynn-1, RF Radian XT

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member mommaon112903's Avatar

Re: Safe Rider Travel Vest

I am not certain, but wanted to say I am jealous! DH's family is from both the now Chezch republic and the now Slovakia, I would to visit one day.

Here is their website, hopefully it will help.
    Crystal, SAHM to J age 8yrs11months/49.25"/55lbs/Blue Opal Recaro ProBoosterand Orange OSPKWY

Carseat Crazy

Awesome, thank you.

Yeah, I was actually born there, and haven't been back in about 8 years. I want my kids to get a chance to meet my grandparents now that they are getting up there in age, so I figured this summer was the time to go
    Mommy to
    Brynn-1, RF Radian XT

Carseat Crazy

I'm also wondering about what types of seatbelt situations I can use this in? I'm sure that I've read that you need a top tether anchor in some situations, but I'm fairly certain we won't have any in the vehicles we'll be using.
    Mommy to
    Brynn-1, RF Radian XT

Senior Community Member InternationalMama's Avatar

You need to have either a top tether or a lap-shoulder belt. Many European cars don't have top tethers so if you can't be sure you'll be in cars new enough to have lap-shoulder belts this might not be the right choice for you.

ETA: I don't know if you could find a store that would ship one to where you are staying in Slovakia, but in some countries in Europe they sell the Britax Vario, which used to be known in the US as the Britax Laptop. It could be a good travel alternative for a child your DD's size if the RSTV won't work because it only needs a lap belt. (I can't really explain what it is, but maybe someone else can.)
    International Mama
    Mom to Two - ERFing in a Graco My Ride 65 , Combi Coccoro, and Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL.

Carseat Crazy

Ok, so as long as there is a lap/shoulder belt, it's good to go? My father lives there and will be arranging our transportation, so I can make sure that this is the case. I actually did consider finding a European seat to use once we got there, but I just couldn't justify buying one to use for 3 weeks.
    Mommy to
    Brynn-1, RF Radian XT

Senior Community Member InternationalMama's Avatar

Yep, if the car has a lap-shoulder belt you're all good. Most people do like to install in the center with the RSTV because it doesn't have a shell, but it's not a requirement to use the seat.

If you post on the Canada forum maybe someone will know how to get one to you in Canada (although people on the forum do tend to avoid assisting in the purchase of seats that aren't legal in the country the poster is from/going to so maybe not).

I think the Vario sells where I live for about 70 Euros, so not as expensive as a full blown seat if you want to look into that. It's a pretty neat seat!
    International Mama
    Mom to Two - ERFing in a Graco My Ride 65 , Combi Coccoro, and Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL.

Carseat Crazy

Thank you!
    Mommy to
    Brynn-1, RF Radian XT

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I believe someone previously travelling to Europe from Canada called the company and was able to have them ship one directly to her.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Carseat Crazy

Oh really? That would be awesome. I've been thinking about contacting them just to be sure. Thanks.
    Mommy to
    Brynn-1, RF Radian XT