Question What does anyone think of this...

Freedom_Pixie

Ok, I just want an opinion on my thought here. I know you all can't tell me what to buy or anything. So here is the thought: Since I am going to have a LO in July (summer baby) I really don't want to get an infant carrier ( I plan on wearing LO). I was thinking about getting a Cosco Scenera for the baby and keep DS in his TF. I could always put the baby in the TF, but the next seat I want to get for DS is a booster (and he isn't going to be ready for one) and I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on a GN or any other hwh seats (budget is tight).

So, what do you think of putting the baby in a scenera and keeping DS in the TF? TIA.

PS:I know it is early but I want to make a decision about this and you all can help.

ADS

mish

I think that would be fine if that is what you can afford. There are some convertibles that might fit a baby better though if you can afford to spend a little more. Also, the scenera has no EPS foam and other seats do. Plus, how long do you plan on using this seat? Another true fit, if you can swing it, sounds like a good investment to me. It would last until you need a booster, as you are hoping for your older child.

Freedom_Pixie

I think that would be fine if that is what you can afford. There are some convertibles that might fit a baby better though if you can afford to spend a little more. Also, the scenera has no EPS foam and other seats do. Plus, how long do you plan on using this seat? Another true fit, if you can swing it, sounds like a good investment to me. It would last until you need a booster, as you are hoping for your older child.

I would love to get another TF, but it just doesn't seem necessary (meaning that one TF will be outgrown and not in use). I can get another seat besides the Scenera (like a Graco Comfortsport) or anything less then $100.

mish

I would love to get another TF, but it just doesn't seem necessary (meaning that one TF will be outgrown and not in use). I can get another seat besides the Scenera (like a Graco Comfortsport) or anything less then $100.

When are you planning to move your oldest to a booster? I noticed your son is 2 yrs 9 months. It should be a while before he is ready to be in a booster seat. Just so I understand, are you planning on using the TF with your oldest until he grows out of it and then passing it down? That is why you don't want to spend as much? If so, that makes sense. If I were you I would look at the Safety 1st Avenue. It is a step up from the scenera but still under $100.00. The comfortsport won't last you very long as it only rear faces to 30 pounds and is a terrible pain to adjust RF.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would go for a Scenera over an Avenue for a newborn. While an Avenue will last longer, it's not likely to fit a newborn as well as a Scenera.

However, there are also options for FF only seats like the Evenflo Maestro that might be a good choice.

The Maestro will be useless as a booster-- but your son is only 30 lbs, right? And by the time the baby comes he'll be more than 3. If you're okay FFing him, you could buy the Maestro ($75) which has pretty tall top slots and a 50 lb. weight limit. It would probably get him to a safe booster age, and the baby could go in the True Fit.

NVMBR02

Is your 2 year old rear facing or forward facing? If he is forward facing you might consider looking at the Evenflo Generations 65 or even the Evenflo Mastero and seeing if that would work. I have also seen the Evenflo Triumph Advance on sale for right at $100, it works well for small babies and might be a good option if your older child is rear facing.
There is nothing wrong with the scenera. I do prefer seats with eps foam though.

Also you have a lot of time still. I paid $85 for dd's coccoro. I don't care for the color but it is a great price for the seat.

NVMBR02

sorry to hijack, but WHERE did you get a coccoro for $85?:eek:

It was a gaga Deal on babyearth.com. I think with the carseats there is uaually only one (or maybe a few). They set a price and then the price goes down until it is sold out or time expires. I know a few people have gotten the coccoro for even less, but I really wanted it and didn't want to risk it selling out.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
An Evenflo Titan is under $100 and is IMO a better choice than a Scenera for a brand-new baby (Scenera isn't horrible, though, if it's what you can do). A Titan won't get a child to safe booster age/size, but it might last your new baby 2.5-3 years, when your oldest might be ready for a booster. I would stay far away from the ComfortSport.

todzwife

It was a gaga Deal on babyearth.com. I think with the carseats there is uaually only one (or maybe a few). They set a price and then the price goes down until it is sold out or time expires. I know a few people have gotten the coccoro for even less, but I really wanted it and didn't want to risk it selling out.

I've never seen a coccoro there! I'll have to keep a better eye on it! Thanks!

And OP, a scenera is a decent seat, but I agree that there are better options under $100

cookie123

The Avenue has too high of harness slots to fit a newborn well, but would last longer than the Scenera and is a nicer seat - has EPS foam, too. You could get an Avenue, put your 2 year old in it and use the True Fit for the newborn until the newborn fits in the Avenue, then switch back.

steph_s

Call me crazy here, but I think you could swing another TF for your next little one. Your siggy says your 11 weeks pregnant right? Say you order the seat when your 38 weeks along, that gives you 27 weeks to save money for a new seat. (If the baby comes earlier than the seat I'm sure you can find someone to watch your little one while you adjust his current seat for the new baby just to get the baby home and most places online will deliver within a day or two so there is even a chance you could order the seat and it would get to you before your even discharged from the hospital).

I understand how tight money is, but do you realize you could get a new seat by saving only $6.30 per week from now until when your 38 weeks pregnant?

You could even get a Nautilus for your oldest if you saved $7 per week instead of $6.30 for when the baby is born and pass the TF down to the baby to use. I think people forget that while car seats are expensive, if you budget just a little bit of money here and there and put it where you know you won't use it then you can swing other seating options. I am super tight for money right now, but I know that $6 per week won't break the bank either for most people.

But to answer your question... yes a scenera is ok for a newborn! Unless you have a super tiny under 5lb newborn then it will likely work. You will need 2 rolled up blankets and a rolled up wash cloth for the crotch, but I have had several babies in the scenera over the years.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
My kids never would've fit in a Scenera at birth. I know todzwife just had a post about it and I posted some pics in her thread w/ Ilana in the Scenera at 8#, but she was 6 wks old then. Carseats are only good for 6 yrs, and if you can keep your oldest in his for another 3.5 yrs or so, it's not a big deal then and you're not losing much on the expiration IMO.

Spam

Do Uptowns fit newbies well? If so and you can still find one at BigLots for $65, they have foam and has a very nicely padded cover.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Uptowns have about the same shell/bottom slots as the Avenue-- too high for most newborns, significantly higher than the Scenera.

Freedom_Pixie

My DS is Forward Facing (he gets sick and complains when RFing). I can save to get a car seat. Here is another thought: What if I get a HWH (like the GN or Apex 65) for DS, and put the baby in the TF (I just need to find the infant insert, which shouldn't be too hard).
I do plan on switching the baby to the TF once DS grows out of it, if I go with getting another convertable seat. But if I go with a HWH/booster type seat I wouldn't have to worry about it because the baby will already be in the TF.
DS is probably heavier then 31 lbs, I won't find out his stats until his 3rd year checkup (in March) but he is sitting at 36 inches tall (which is strange, I thought he would be a bit taller). When he was born he weighed 5 lbs 15 oz, 19 inches long and born three weeks early. So I just might have another small baby.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think that's a good idea-- as I said, I'd look into the Maestro. It actually has taller slots than the Gen65, and even though it's only to 50 lbs. that will probably get you to 5 or more with a 30 lb. 3 year old-- if you can't swing a Nautilus. I'd try for a Nautilus since it makes a nice booster, but if you can't I'd try a Maestro followed by a TurboBooster when he's ready for a booster.

The True Fit should fit even a 5 lb. baby well, it goes very small. :thumbsup:

amyd

I would definitely look at the Nautilus for your DS. If you're going to buy a combo seat, it makes sense to get something that makes a decent booster. And with a 9 year expiry on the backless portion, it will be the last seat you'll need to buy your DS (provided it fits him well as a booster). The TF's fit newbies very nicely with the infant insert & the baby will have a long time in the TF.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC