What a horrible mother!

urchin_grey

bramSR.jpg

When I first found this pic I was like :jaw:

But overall, I guess its not that bad considering I didn't know squat about carseats (I was one of those "well its just common sense!" kind of parents at the time). :rolleyes: Oh, and I vaguely remember that twisted strap now. I was always nervous about taking the harness out because I was afraid I wouldn't put it back in right (and obviously I was right LOL) but I was even more nervous about the strap being twisted so I did wind up fixing it. :whistle:

And, yes, that does appear to be a bug on his arm. LOL

ADS
Well, the straps are pretty tight for a non car seat geek...and the chest clip isn't so bad either. I'll have to dig out old "before becoming a car seat geek" pics! I'd be more concerned about the lollipop than the little twist in the strap...that kind freak me out when they slobber on them so much that the stick breaks :eek:

monstah

Are you freaked about the lillipop? The car seat looks pretty good. Not 100%, but not too shabby. Especially compared to the jaw dropping misuse I see in the Chic-Fil-A parking lot. ;)

Last edited:

mykidsmylife

awwww... He is too cute. :)

I agree. I'd be more freaked out about the loli then the twist in the straps. LOL.

I have much worse pics of poor usage.

AtTheSouthDam

I'm pretty sure that is better than my car seat pic of DD1 on her SR with the fleece snowsuit that was two sizes too big ;) (But I did know that the non-fleece fluffy ones were bad juju :D)

Mommy2Marcus

I agree it looks pretty good. I was lucky that the nurse at the hospital that checked us out before we left informed me that the straps needed to be tight, the chest clip armpit level & all that before we left. She was really nice & full of knowledge. However I have NO pics of Marcus in his infant seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The worst offenses I see are handle in non-allowed position, twisted strap, seat probably just about outgrown by height (that cover tends to be fluffy), and chest clip a tad low.

Not remotely the worst I've seen. ;)

The lollipop, yeah, okay, bad, but um, my kids may have had them once or twice in the car, even though I know it's dangerous. Sometimes you pick your battles. :whistle:

How old was he there? That's how my third fit by height in the 22 lb. SR at about 2 1/2-3 months! :eek: But she was much skinnier...

urchin_grey

Yeah, trust me, I was not happy about the lolly either, (DS has diet issues and I'm a refined sugar nazi) but we were coming back from his 1yr check and the stupid nurse handed him the sucker before I could even say anything. :mad: I tried taking it away and he screeeeamed.

I was actually surprised the chest clip was so low in this pic though, because it appears to be higher in most pics.

You're right about the handle though, I noticed that too. :eek: I NEVER used position B or E and always used C or D in the car. Unfortunately common sense doesn't always work with carseats because I always just assumed it would be dangerous to leave it up (A). :rolleyes:

Trust me though, he wasn't about to outgrow it. His hair stuck up a LOT and he has a small head. That's at least 2 inches of hair you're looking at. :ROTFLMAO: He was almost 13mo (and around 18lbs) in the pic and when I tried him in the seat at 27mo (and 21.lbs) his head was just even with the top of the shell... So I don't think he would have outgrown it until closer to 2.

urchin_grey

To give you an idea of just how tiny he really is, this is him in his cousin's Scenera just now. He's 4 years, 8 months (5 in May OMG!).

The seat isn't installed or anything, but its recline back against the couch.

bramscenera.jpg

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Wow! He is a tiny guy. :)

My perception of "typical," however, is completely skewed. The children in my family are, for the most part, freakishly huge, so my definition of "typical" is off. :eek:

mykidsmylife

Wow. He is tiny. Although that is how Seth would have been if he didn't finally hit a growth spurt around 2 years. LOL.

He is too cute for words and I just love his hair.

Little Ps Mama

That's not so bad! I saw much worse on MTV's "Teen Mom" the other day, including an infant in a car seat who didn't even appear to be strapped in. :thumbsdown:

urchin_grey

Wow! He is a tiny guy. :)

My perception of "typical," however, is completely skewed. The children in my family are, for the most part, freakishly huge, so my definition of "typical" is off. :eek:

Yeah, mine is too, only opposite since he's so small. I have to remind myself that most 4yo's are about a foot taller. :p

Wow. He is tiny. Although that is how Seth would have been if he didn't finally hit a growth spurt around 2 years. LOL.

He is too cute for words and I just love his hair.

Meh, I've seen ALOT worse.

BTW, I :love: his name.

Thanks! :love:

2 inches of hair! LOL! Yeah, I thought that was HEAD! :ROTFLMAO:

Yeah, for the first 10 months or so he had a baby fro. :cool: This was when it finally started getting to long to stick up, but it was still pretty fluffy!

Jonah Baby

I think you did pretty good, all things considered.

Here was one of my biggest failures. It was Jo's primary seat for over a year!
(Sadly, I don't have a single in-the-car pic.)

Last edited:

Kat_Momof3

You know, though, if you used it correctly and it was installed properly, that's what really matters.

My boys had OHS seats, too... and you know, with the 1st, I kick myself a bunch, but with my second, that was the ONLY seat we could find that had a rf limit over 22lbs... and we HAD to have one earlier than planned as he topped out the infant seat by 5mo.

and I think the risk of the shield was better than having to put him ff before 5mo old.

it's all about doing the best you can with what you have... and I know I did better than most just by reading my manual and following it... having it installed properly and used properly

that goes for the OP, too... it's not perfect, but you got it right for the most part.

urchin_grey

Oops. :p

Yeah, my biggest failure was turning him FF'ing at 15mo and less than 20lbs. I didn't think I had a choice because he was in a spica cast after having surgery. I was really worried but people kept assuring me "well he'll be 20lbs with the cast on!". :rolleyes: Oh, and one of the nurses at Children's told us to just lay him across the back seat and buckle the seatbelt over him. :eek: So yeah... While he was still in the hospital we went out and got him a cheap combo seat that he *barely* fit in. His bum wasn't even against the back of the seat. I was like shaking the whole way home. We went NO WHERE except back to Children's to get the cast changed 4 weeks later and then again 4 weeks after that for removal. After that, I tried to install the combo seat RF'ing (duhhhhh) and of course it didn't work so we just left him FF'ing. Everyone assured us he was "close enough". Like 10 months later, I learned about ERF'ing and at the same time, I learned that A. I couldn't figure out how to install his seat RF'ing because it CAN'T be RF'ing and B. the minimums on his seat were 22lbs and 33in and he met neither. Major carseat FAIL. I was way broke at the time, but I scraped together $40 and went and bought a Scenera!

Needless to say, the Safety 1st seat is retired. It is completely useless. He'll outgrow it by height before he outgrows his TF RF'ing.

Jonah Baby

(His seat was also 4 years expired when I picked it off the side of the road!)

(Thank god I didn't get in an accident - oh, wait! I did, two of them with that seat!)

(You should've seen his REALLY expired and recalled 3-point OnMyWay Evenflo bucket coming home from the hospital, complete with aftermarket headrest and strap covers.)

Nah, you totally did better than I.

KatrinaUSC

I felt that way about my DS's infant seat... It was a big deal for my husband to install it in in our cars.. Even though I am the resident 'installer and constructor' of all new things we get. I was too busy recovering from a csection and had no clue on anything car seat related to notice... Hubby assured me that he had the seat checked twice (umm, yeah right!). Anyway, a year later The nagging feeling that the seat was too loose kept bugging me more and more... When it was time for DS's 1st Birthday (where everyone and their mother made the 'ohh he can go forward facing now' comment) I was determined to research fully this time. Needless to say, the seat was over the 1in rule.... He is now in a Britax BLV 65 (RF) that has a movement of 0! Woohoo!

I blamed myself for a long time (and still do a little) about it not being correct that whole time.. I am so thankful we were never in a wreck!

You are for sure NOT alone in the carseat 'oopsies' department!! And like everyone else, my eye went straight to the sucker! Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC