Anyone have/getting the new RSTV?

Evolily

I'm just curious :) . I'm thinking about getting two. It would be nice for emergencies, other vehicles, traveling, and 3 across. Right now C & A don't really have an acceptable spare car seat. Right now they only have an "OMG- ZOMBIES invading and eating our brains" type emergency seat (cosco HBB, would be used as a booster) so, yeah...

I'd just like to see if anyone has touched/played with it :) .

ADS

steph_s

I have them and I use them for my friends kids and some of my foster kids depending on what kids are with me and if 3 across is necessary. Right now I have a Regent and an EFTA in my vehicle (casted baby and need the wide seat) so if I transport any other child I need the RSTV.

I feel like I'm answering a lot of questions about the RSTV these days! Anyways, I have them in both sizes in the old style and the new style and I love them! I wouldn't use them outboard unless it was a 100% emergency had no other choice, but I feel comfortable using them center especially with other seats next to the child. The new version only has 1 clip and is more open in the sides and back. It's not as stiff. The new version has sort of a flap for the lap belt whereas the old version has just the vest which is rather stiff. The only version fit older/ bigger kids well, but kids around the lower end of the limits it just didn't bent to position the lap belt correctly on some kids.

The bottom line.. I have it, I use it, I love it! I've been in a bad accident with mine and the child that was in it was perfectly fine. The children in the 5-pt harnesses complained of neck, shoulder, and hip pain along with getting little abrasions from hitting the sides of their seat. The child in the RSTV didn't budge even far enough over to hit their head on the car seat next to them. It was the only person in the car that didn't get banged up and had weeks of pain meds doping them up because of muscle strain.

momtoirs

We're thinking about getting one when we have the funds (and then probably selling our old style??). We've used our old style one enough that we've come to like having one. DS found the older style hot when we used it during the summer months and the new looks like it will be cooler.

Steph, you've said that the new fits the younger, smaller kids better, how does it compare to the old at the other end -- do you think kids will outgrow the new small at about the same time as the old?

Tina

steph_s

They fit about the same if not a tad longer. The crotch strap is a hair longer which is nice. You know how the old style when a smaller child sits down it sort of doesn't bend at the waist so the lap portion of the vehicle belt wouldn't fit over the child's lap correctly? This is no longer an issue. If a smaller child sat down in the old vest it sort of pushed up leaving a space between their shoulders and the top of the belt causing the lap portion to be on their stomach more. Just having that little bend at the front where the lap belt goes makes is A LOT nicer!

It's just lighter, more user friendly (only 1 buckle instead of 2), has more colors so the kids don't mind as much (my friends dd loves my pink one! I don't know how to break it to her that she is going to outgrow it rather soon), and makes for a better fit. I hate to say it because the old one did have a good fit, but this one is just better if you can imagine that. Put it this way... if the vest cost an extra $100 I would totally pay it to have the new version over the old version! It's just nicer and once you get it you will see what I'm talking about.

I seriously need to gather a bunch of kids of different sizes and take pictures of the vests old and new!! I swear I continue to answer the same questions over and over again on different threads.

libranbutterfly

Does your pink one stay fairly clean? I am considering getting a green one and a yellow one (my girls favorite colors) but am worried about the yellow getting dirty.

all together ooky

I seriously need to gather a bunch of kids of different sizes and take pictures of the vests old and new!! I swear I continue to answer the same questions over and over again on different threads.

I'd love to see this! I'm considering getting one for our trip to FL in March.

Louisa

CPST Instructor
Me too, i am borrowing an old style from a friend to check out, and am considering purchasing one for our trip to FL in march, as well as to have for occasional rides in other cars etc.

steph_s

I would not get a light color! They do wipe clean, but it takes some work to get into the groves. I would stay away from any of the light colors! The problem becomes that they are so portable and easy to use that instead of swapping your child's booster seat or car seat you just pack the RSTV up for them to take with them. I have a little pre-school sized backpack that I put them each in. They tend to "get around" which means they are going to get a bit dirty. The old style didn't get as dirty as quick, but it did show wear a bit more than the new ones with some fraying around the arm pits and such.

joyride

Yea, you must really do that - now :D :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC