RS Travel Vest ?

tjham

How do older kids feel about the RideSafer Travel Vest? Do they mind how it looks? My granddaughter is almost 9 and may soon be in a situation where there is a center seat lap belt only (tether anchor available). Can kids do it up themselves?

She is fighting using a HBB booster now as it is, although viewing crash tests has helped a little with using a backless booster. I would appreciate any pictures of older kids in one!

ADS

steph_s

I put the child in the vest, have them sit in the correct seat sitting straight and then adjust the top tether hooks so they are snug. Then when they exit the vehicle they just get out of the vest and leave it hanging there. A 9yo can easily get into the vest, hook and tighten the front belt, hook the crotch strap, and then route the lap belt properly through the guides. My 7yo can do it and my 5.5 year old is almost able to do it minus the crotch strap part of it. Don't have any pictures my 7yo is a foster child and my 5.5 year old is small so she would likely still feel like it was a baby seat. My kids really don't mind it, but then again they all seem to know arguing about their seats is not going to get them anywhere with me.

Kat_Momof3

for a lap-only belt situation (with the tether anchor being available), might the 86-Y be easier?... it's easier to leave permanent as it's intended to be and she can buckle herself in it once you show her how... just thinking off the top of my head.... plus, while it's no astronaut vest like the RSTV, it DOES look SO much like the racecar driver harnesses.

tjham

Oh, I forgot about the 86 Y. I'll have to look into that!

Any pictures of kids in that?

I don't think she would like the "astronaut look", but may not mind the "race car driver" look! :whistle:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I was also thinking that many lap-only belt situations wouldn't have adequate head support for a 9 year old. The RSTV cannot be used with a booster, but the 86-Y can (to provide head support.)

mish

I have a RSTV and Ryan (9) hates it. He thinks it is really uncomfortable. Plus, I really find it to be a pain in the butt. I use it if I need to get 3 across, but I don't like to.

Kat_Momof3

Oh, I forgot about the 86 Y. I'll have to look into that!

Any pictures of kids in that?

I don't think she would like the "astronaut look", but may not mind the "race car driver" look! :whistle:

there used to be, but they don't show up in the thread that had them anymore... so they were either moved to another album on that photobucket account or the photos were moved to another account.

they were posted by Defrost, who no longer has internet, so doubt she will repost them.

HOWEVER - I did search photobucket to try to find links to them (I would NEVER post someone's pics without permission, though I would link to them if they were public photos) and instead found THIS

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/alunatic_photos/86Y harness/

I THINK this is Defrost's album... it shows lots of pics of kids in the 86-Y with highback, no back, and just in the vehicle seat.

Last edited:

tjham

Great pictures! Thanks for finding them.

I was hoping she wouldn't need a booster with it, but I looked up the 86 Y and it looks like under 65 lbs, she would still have to have a booster, at least a backless one. Her torso is short so that the headrest may or may not be an issue. I just see her so seldom and in the truck even less, it's been impossible to measure, try to fit, etc. I just know I have to do something soon.

Her parents are dealing with an ADHD diagnosis, retaining in school, custody issues. I know they just view this as something else to have to deal with, like a pesky fly (and I am the fly :p).

Thanks goodness for the Radian straps being able to go over a little and her dad still making her use it. (Two older kids need the outboard seat belts.) But she is desperate to get out of it. :( She uses only the seatbelt in her mom's car, but at least there is a lap/shoulder belt there, as poorly as it fits :( .

Another question about the 86 Y with a booster. If the booster doesn't have Latch, which most don't, how do you buckle it in when it's not being used? Seems like that would be a real pain too.

Kat_Momof3

I believe it would be just like you can kind of guess from the pictures... you'd buckle the lapbelt over it... that would be enough to hold the seat itself in... the harness part would hold the back of the booster from moving too much...

tjham

And this thread has good info about the new ones.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=1128848#post1128848

I have the go-ahead to get one of these!

Do they expire?

Where is the best place to get/order one?
Ah, I'll bet their website is the only place to get a new one.

There's a video, but it says "throw out the booster' which I don't exactly want my granddaughter to see (she needs the booster in other cars) so I probably won't have her watch it.

Their "model" is kind of "eye-catching", wouldn't you say? (click on Products)
Guess I should send my son (DGDs dad) to the site for info. *heehee*

I really want a pink one but should think ahead to grandson who could use it in a few years. Would orange be boyish enough? :p Actually, it looks like orange sherbet. It probably would be wise to get the blue denim but the pastel colors are sooooo cute!

Ooooh, just looked again, and I like the green one too!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC