4-5k price range 4 carseats

aja

we're buying a second vehicle in a month or 2. it needs to fit all 4 kids. our budget will be between 4-5k. we have a very used suburban that will be our back up vehicle. i was thinking am early 2000's safari or astro because i really liked my parents. we never used it for carseats though.
it would be a bit smaller than the suburban but still really roomy.

my husband really wants a 2nd suburban. he has fallen in love with our 96. any years that are better than others?

i had a 2004 pontiac montana that i loved but after watching the crash videos :thumbsdown:

how are the winstars for carseats? i found a couple old posts that seemed negative, but i couldn't tell if they were bad compared to others or just had their quirks like all cars.

3rd row explorers or expeditions?

dh doesn't like the dodges or kia's :rolleyes: he is more comfortable working on fords and chevys so that would be better.

ADS

skitle1802

I only have experience with Astros and Suburbans.

I had a '88 Astro, and have used my parents 2000. The Pre-96 Safaris and Astros had the low back benches and only lap belts. The post-96 ones have high back benches and heatrests. My parents 2000 Astro has anchor hooks on all 6 rear passenger seats (no latch as it was made before Sep 2002) I have installed several infant, convertible and booster seats in both the 2nd and 3rd seats with no problems. Lots of room and tight installs. I did need locking clips because the shoulder seat belts are passive locking mechanisms (they only lock when there is a sudden pull on the belt)

We also have a 2002 Suburban. I have 2 Britax Marathons on the middle bench (center and driver side) and a frontier middle 3rd bench. I have room to fold the passenger side seat on the middle bench for access to the 3rd bench. There are only anchors on the 3 middle bench seats and the middle seat on the 3rd bench.

April

The Windstars are great for car seats. Mine was totalled in September and I replaced it with another. :love:

No major problems in terms of compatibility except that I would say the versions with captain's chairs in the 2nd row are incompatible with the Radian FF with the seatbelt. No biggie though. I have mine installed with LATCH and it installs fine in the third row with the seatbelt. Versions with the bench in the second row don't have that issue.

Oh, and did I mention they have SIX tether anchors?:whistle::love: I find it nice with four kids in seats. Oh, and tethers in Windstars get hooked "upside down".

I love our Windstar and would buy another in a second.

ETA: I've had the following seats in mine: (All FF) Radians, True Fit, Nautilus, Frontier, Apex, Regent, Parkway (new and old), Turbo booster, Clek Oto.

mkmama

LOVE my 2000 Windstar for installing seats...the only incompatible I have found is the Radian FF in the captains chairs like already mentioned. I can easily get 4 in my van -- currently have TrueFit and Radian RF outboard in 3rd row, Baby Trend Flex Loc and Avenue in the captain's chairs -- AND an adult fits in that 3rd bench between the seats, though no headrest so it'd be a last resort. I *think* I could even get 3 across in that back row if I had 3 Radians (might even work Radian, Flex Loc and MyRide...haven't had a chance to try it yet and it was close with the TrueFit instead of the MyRide, but not doable).

I LOVE that I have top anchors in EVERY position in the rear (and think there might even be one on the back of the front passenger seat if I remember right) and I have 4 full sets of LATCH.

ETA: I've installed the following in it: TrueFit (RF and FF), MyRide (RF), Radian XTSL (RF and FF), Avenue (RF and FF), Baby Trend FlexLoc (with base), Nautilus, Graco ComfortSport (RF and FF), Safety 1st Summit Deluxe, and Evenflo bucket (don't remember which one exactly...that was almost 5 years ago!).

J-max

CPST Instructor
We also have a 2002 Suburban. I have 2 Britax Marathons on the middle bench (center and driver side) and a frontier middle 3rd bench. I have room to fold the passenger side seat on the middle bench for access to the 3rd bench. There are only anchors on the 3 middle bench seats and the middle seat on the 3rd bench.

Just a clarification :D Suburbans have tether anchors in all 3 middle row positions and 1 3rd row, and LATCH in the 2 outboard middle row positions (if available)

We are on our 3rd 'burb and love them most of the time. It really works best for us and what we need it to do. And I can get almost any 3 across in it - I am not 100% happy with 3 regents, but it could be done. Right now I have 2 regents and a BLVD no prob, each individually tight.

aja

really great feedback! the windstars seem to be lower miles for the same price. i'm going to keep reading about them.

the astro/safari's have 6 tethers? that is a dream!

anyone hate the windstar and wanna tell me why? :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC