OT help buying a computer

B

blue_nova

I am in need of a computer. I have been using my moms and friends but when I get my tax $$ back I need to buy my own. The major problem is I havent got a clue about computers. Any any any help would be awsome.
Thanks
michelle

ADS

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
DH is an IT consultant and just gave some advice to my brother regarding computers:

- get a name-brand processing chip (Intel, etc)
- don't be talked into buying more processing speed, etc, than you need (most of that is for gaming whereas the average person uses their computer for word processing and internet)
- watch out for specials that require a subscription to an internet service for a year or whatever. It drives the price down now but costs more in the end.

Having said that, we are big IBM fans. But my husband needs alot of extra stuff on computers for his work and the higher processing speeds, etc. There are many great buys out there - HP, Gateway, Dell, etc. In my opinion, it's hard to go wrong these days - just look for a good deal... That's my two cents :)

(Not sure about Dell's customer service. We have an old Dell here at home that we've had for about 6-7 years. Nothing has ever gone wrong on it so we've never needed customer service... I'm sure everyone has their own experience but that's our experience with Dell.)

Morganthe

Whatever you do, don't go with one of those advertisers on the radio or tv or print ads that are designed to sell a computer to "people with low or no credit ratings". They're a complete ripoff! Everytime I get into the car, I hear one on the radio --- for "only" $29.99 a week, a computer can be yours. That's a $119 a month and they don't say for how long or how high the interest rates are!
You can get a basic, no frills Desktop tower through Dell or Gateway (Both, I've had positive experiences with during the last 12 years) for around $500-600. The computers these companies hand out are almost complete junk. So it's highway robbery deliberately aimed at lower incomed individuals.

Customer service is where companies have cut back & outsourced drastically to save money (Want cheap computers or great service?). Sometimes it is worth paying the extended 100% coverage contract if you don't want to use someone like the Geek Squad (LOL- they were on 60 Minutes last night :D )

I know some people don't like Consumer Reports on here, but they do have recent issues on how to choose a computer, especially if you're a complete novice. Just go look up past issues in your local library :)
hth & good luck :)

steph

I've always had postive experiences with Gateway. DH and I both have Gateway laptops (DH use to have a Dell and then got a Gateway!). But there are some great deals out there. Do you have a best buy by you??? We have always found great deals there.

ajweeks

I think Dells used to be better, but we still have them at home and I use them at work, and they are working fine for now. My husband had an old Dell that was a work horse--nothing ever went wrong with it! But when we got a new Dell within the first year, all under warranty, the processor, motherboard and monitor all had to be replaced because they went bad. At least it wasn't the hard drive! My father-in-law finally got rid of his Dell after his hard-drive went bad for the 3rd or 4th time.

In any case, we didn't get bad customer service from Dell, you just have to talk to people in India--it is all outsourced. Then after talking to tech support and they verify that it is indeed a hardware problem under warranty, they will send someone out to your house to fix it.

I think with Dell and many other major computer brands, is that their quality control has gone down as they are more mass produced cheaply. Computers become obsolete so fast as technologies change so you don't really need a computer to last you forever anyway, but it should at least last 5+years!

Whatever you buy, I would definitely recommend getting a decent warranty.

skaterbabs

fwiw, gaming isn't the only reason to get more processing speed than you think you'll need. If you want to do anything with photo editing, digital scrapbooking, digital video, ect, you'll need more processing power. In fact, that's the major issue I have with my computer - not enough processing power, and the only gaming I do is from popcap.com. lol

Morganthe

FYI: I have an excellent condition Gateway Computer loaded with Windows 95 & an awesome 19" color monitor that I'd love to find a new home for :D It's only 12 years old :eek:

As soon as we clean our shed out, (which will be very soon, I hope) I'll be contacting a family shelter who picks up & reconditions old computers. I just need a giant magnet to permanently wipe out our old hard drive of personal info. :p

lovinwaves

I know that Dell Customer Service had moved to India, and that is the reason DH and I did not buy a Dell this last time. We have had Dell's in the past and been very pleased with them. Customer Service IMO is very important. BUT....I have heard that Dell's Customer Service might have come back to the States, if so then I would highly recommend a Dell.

Wineaux

1) What is your budget?
2) What will you be using the computer for?
3) Who will be using the computer and their ages?
4) The level of computer literacy in the house (beginner, intermediate, advanced, power user)
5) What do you wish you could do on the computer?

If you could answer the five questions above, we can give you a much better idea of what you should be looking at. I think we can help you find the most bang for your buck that fits your current and future needs.

adamsmommy

We have had a HP, Sony Vaio, and a Gateway. The Gateway was by far the worst computer we have ever owned. HP actually being the best. Sony was ok. If you want a laptop, I hear Toshiba has the best.

We have been looking at Dells, but didn't know the CS moved to India. My father bought one last year and I guess they have not had any problems yet or else I am sure I would have never heard the end of it.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I've had 2 Toshiba laptops and they've been good to me. But, the battery life on them really is the pits. I'm in the market for a new one and I won't be buying a new one for that very reason. I don't think I've ever called CS for a computer (computer geek here), so that's not so much of an issue for me. If you can hit the internet on a computer, you can pretty much solve your own problem nowadays.

lovinwaves

I also have a Toshiba laptop and have been very happy with it! DH and I really wanted a Sony Viao, but we got a Toshiba model that we felt was as good as quality as the Viao. It was also considerably cheaper.

For a laptop I would recommend a Sony Vaio, or a Toshiba (we have the Satellite).

broken4u05

I have 3 dells in my house. They used to be great but than i have to send my computer back for the 2nd time because it just shut off and stoped charging. It was the motherboard. Well it took a month to get back. Everyday my mom would call and would get a different answer as to were it is. Than they were saying that they were changing the system to upgrade it and it was not working (this was christmas time so that is just dumb) But that is my mom's job and she told them that and that if the new system was having problems to change it back and than they had a different story of why it was not back yet. My mom even stoped payments on it than than i had it withen about 2 weeks after that. Took a month total. I got a new laptop for my BF before i got mine back. Than it came back and they lost my DVD that i could not get out of it because it would not turn on and they dont care. They have only said they are looking for it. It has been over a month. I would say not to go for Dell

B

blue_nova

1) What is your budget?
Up to 1,000 (but less would be best)

2) What will you be using the computer for?
Mostly playing on the internet some word procesing

3) Who will be using the computer and their ages?
Myself and a highly supervised 4 yr old

4) The level of computer literacy in the house (beginner, intermediate, advanced, power user)
Intermediate (i guess)

5) What do you wish you could do on the computer?
Just basic stuff, that said I dont like it when my moms computer slows down, she has dsl and sometimes the pages load instantly but then afer a while everthing slows down. I dont want my computer to do that......I would like a laptop but I was under the impression that they are out of my price range.

If you could answer the five questions above, we can give you a much better idea of what you should be looking at. I think we can help you find the most bang for your buck that fits your current and future needs.

Thank you EVERYONE for your help!
~Michelle

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC