Talk to me about skipping the infant "bucket"...

todzwife

I can't decide. DD is due in May. I TOTALLY would get one if she was going to be a winter baby. Chances are, she'd still fit in it until she's a year old. I have pretty tiny kids.

What are the benefits to a bucket if you babywear? Anything?

ADS

littleangelfire

I really hate infant carrier seats, so I'd skip it, too. Especially if you do baby wearing, I can't think of a reason to have one. Perhaps the only thing I can come up with is to sit in in a restaraunt while you eat. But my son never likes just sitting in his seat while we ate so I ended up holding him anyway.

skip it skip it! lol That, and I hate spending extra money, and a bucket seems like such a short lived device to me, when I could instead get a seat that'll last much longer.

Freedom_Pixie

I'm trying to decide the same thing. One benifit is that when your LO is sleeping you don't have to wake the baby up by taking her out of the carseat, just take it with you. Downfall-they tend to grow out of it a little quickly (unless you get like a Keyfit 30 or Graco snugride 35, etc). HTH.

tl01

I think it depends upon the child. DS never slept once I took him out of his seat to wear him. For me the bucket was nice b/c he could get his usually naps done if he was able to stay in the bucket. I'll be getting one for our future baby b/c I know we won't be able to stick to the nap schedule as well with already having a preschooler.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
If dd was a spring/summer baby I would have gotten a Combi Corroco. I only got the bucket so I could walk out the door with her bundled up until we got where we were headed. I will take her out of the bucket as soon as March/April rolls around and put her in a convertible (actually, she'll move to ds's TFP and he will get a RN XTSL). Once she's in a convertible, I'll just wear her. :)

ETA: Dd and Ds both sleep beautifully when worn. Also, the TFP was an excellent fit for dd when she was born, she rode home in it. :)

todzwife

If dd was a spring/summer baby I would have gotten a Combi Corroco. I only got the bucket so I could walk out the door with her bundled up until we got where we were headed. I will take her out of the bucket as soon as March/April rolls around and put her in a convertible (actually, she'll move to ds's TFP and he will get a RN XTSL). Once she's in a convertible, I'll just wear her. :)

This is right along my lines of thinking...

I have a friend who's NB is in a keyfit. IF she's done w/ it at 4 months (doubtful) I'll borrow it and then get a coccoro. But if not, I'm tempted just to go w/ a coccoro from the get-go.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I've never used an infant seat in the car. Once or twice now that I have two I've wished for one, but it's no big deal. If my kids are tired enough they'd fall back to sleep in the sling.

I did get an infant seat after Laine was born. I keep her in it when I do carseat checks. :) That way she's right near me and it's got a buckle and everything. It's an Evenflo Discovery, three point harness, recalled with no fix kit that I got free off of CL. It's the only infant seat I've used with my kids, and it lives in my trunk and I move Laine to it from her TFP when I'm at a check (I had another infant seat, expired, that I used for presentations).

Wendy

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
This is right along my lines of thinking...

I have a friend who's NB is in a keyfit. IF she's done w/ it at 4 months (doubtful) I'll borrow it and then get a coccoro. But if not, I'm tempted just to go w/ a coccoro from the get-go.

It really is the ONLY reason I got a bucket. I was supposed to get my cousins sr, but that din't happen at the last minute. I was left shopping for a seat 3 days pp. I almost sucked it up and bought ds's xtsl, but I decided not to chain myself to the house like that if I had both kids while waiting... Then I found some great deals at BRU (like a sr32 for $80)... I'll be selling dd's travel system to reimburse some of the $$ when I buy the xtsl.

todzwife

I have a scenera I could use until we found a better solution, I just don't want to be bugging my friend come April to see if she's done with her seat LOL!

I have a couple other friends w/ infants in buckets, but one is a Peg which I don't even want to borrow, and another is a baby trend, but I don't think she'll be done w/ hers either.

DD hated her bucket. I used it for 6 months before we moved her to a RA because she screamed so much in the car. I don't know how this kid will do in a bucket, but I'd hate to pay $100+ for a keyfit (which is the only one I can consider right now because of the small front to back factor) and only use it a couple months.

Blah. I am SO tired of figuring out car seat stuff.

ZephyrBlue

I found it to be really helpful when #4 was born- now I have to drive the big girls to elem. school, get everyone out, walk them in, etc. Then get back in the truck, drive DS to preschool, get him and baby out, go in, etc... Even with a baby that goes back to sleep fairly easily, there have been times when I was so so so glad to be able to just take the bucket out of the truck, stick it on the Snap N Go and then put her back in. Of course, it's been cold, too, and that's made a HUGE difference. I might do things very differently w/a summer baby and no school.

todzwife

I found it to be really helpful when #4 was born- now I have to drive the big girls to elem. school, get everyone out, walk them in, etc. Then get back in the truck, drive DS to preschool, get him and baby out, go in, etc... Even with a baby that goes back to sleep fairly easily, there have been times when I was so so so glad to be able to just take the bucket out of the truck, stick it on the Snap N Go and then put her back in. Of course, it's been cold, too, and that's made a HUGE difference. I might do things very differently w/a summer baby and no school.

See, that's exactly it! If she was going to be a winter baby, there would be NO doubt that I'd get the bucket.

AtTheSouthDam

DD2 was a summer baby, end of June and I still found the bucket to be helpful. I baby wore for about 8 months as well. (after that she learned to bounce and it was too painful for me. Any surprise she wanted a trampoline for Christmas?)

For the most part the car seat stayed in the car.

I liked it at my mom house as she has four loving but not exactly well trained dogs. Shoulder height it the only place vaguely out of reach for Old English Sheepdog and a Collie. You can't hold a newborn there but they couldn't get to her if I held the bucket right. She would stay in it until they were calm or kenneled.

It was a bit easier to snap a bucket it and then round up the nearly the year old into her car seat.

My babies were small and it fit them better, as well.

Winter still comes sooner than you would like ;) We had snow in October, she wasn't even four months when it started getting cool, especially at night so it was nice to buckle her inside those days. She fit in the bucket through out the winter and I missed it the following winter! (She almost made it, outgrowing the SR22 at the end of August.)

All that said, if I was to have another now I would still be very, very tempted by the cocorro :D

swtgi1982

WE opted not this time around, but ended up using our old one from DD due merely to my pain from the emergency c-section. But he is now using only his convertible at a month old. The first few weeks we used the bucket as the sling hurt my belly to much.

macmomma

I am using one in my car but only because it is easier for my 15 year old to get into the middle of the backseat when we all go somewhere together- he would not be able to climb into the middle with 2 convertibles back there and both convertibles do not fit next to each other in my car:(
My husbands truck is bigger and we fit the RA50 next to the Maxi Cosi fine and the 15 year old can go outboard in the backseat:)

3plus2isme

This is my 3rd winter baby so it was a no brainer for me ;)

The only other reason I'd get a bucket is because when they finally.fall.asleep. do you really want to wake 'em to take a kiddo into their school, into the house, into the grocery store, etc. For me, that's precious lol... Once they hit the stage where their schedules are more structured and consistent I tend to leave the bucket in the car.

amylynne01

I had a December baby and a May baby, and I've used a bucket for both. For DD1, it was a no brainer to keep her nice and warm in the winter. For DD2, it is much easier for me to carry the bucket and my toddler especially since the baby always falls asleep in the car.

The convenience of it would be worth it to me (I got the travel system as a gift). The baby is staying in the bucket until it warms up here (March or April), and then it will stay in the car like a regular convertible until she outgrows it. If I have another baby, I will use the bucket for sure.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I didn't find it any harder to keep an infant warm without a bucket than with:shrug-shoulders:

I wore my baby in a sling under my coat, got to the car, loosened the sling a bit, slid baby into seat butt first as I pulled the sling down. Buckle quickly and plop my coat onto baby as a nice pre-warmed blanket. Reverse the order for getting baby out.

Every stop (I drive a lot, so time between stops is precious) was an opportunity to nurse that I wouldn't have had otherwise.

3plus2isme

I didn't find it any harder to keep an infant warm without a bucket than with:shrug-shoulders:

I wore my baby in a sling under my coat, got to the car, loosened the sling a bit, slid baby into seat butt first as I pulled the sling down. Buckle quickly and plop my coat onto baby as a nice pre-warmed blanket. Reverse the order for getting baby out.

That wouldn't work here at all. We get -20 to -40 plus windchill through most of the winter ;) I could probably keep the baby warm enough but for me to take my coat off... brrrr.... ;)

If we had milder temps then I'd def give it a go .... I just can't imagine taking a newborn out into our weather.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
That wouldn't work here at all. We get -20 to -40 plus windchill through most of the winter ;) I could probably keep the baby warm enough but for me to take my coat off... brrrr.... ;)

If we had milder temps then I'd def give it a go .... I just can't imagine taking a newborn out into our weather.

Even at those temps I can't stand to drive with my coat on, so I take it off anyway (yes :eek: cold!) I am excellent at layering (a hat and scarf make all the difference) and start the car before I start buckling kids in.

amylynne01

For me, the ease of one less little one to buckle into the car in freezing temps and blowing winds is enough to make it worth it! I baby wear too, but I haven't found a good method to keep all of us warm while I get her in and out of the sling. There are pros and cons to both, so to each his own. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC