Question Outgrown Chicco Keyfit, need help for seat going in Pontaic G6

assemblage

My son is 1 yr old now, 22lbs and outgrown his Chicco Keyfit. I bought a Evenflow Triumph DLX at Walmart and like it ok, but I don't think it's going to work in my car, 2006 Pontiac G6.

I have it behind the passenger seat and it does fit enough to give a passenger enough leg room in the front seat, so that's good. But it's base seems to give it too much height... so the opening between the car door and the seat where I have to insert my son seems to be small. I'd like more vertical space to help getting him in the car. I have to like hold him horizontal on his back until I get his head through the "hole" and then rotate him up and over the edge of the seat... if this makes sense. I'm strong enough to do it, but can see me bumping his head as he gets bigger. I'll probably put the Triumph in my wife's Kia Sorento since she has more vertical room between the seat and top of the door opening. I'd like a carseat that sat down lower in the seat.

My son is also kind of tall. Dr. said like 90%tile, so a seat that has enough height would be good.

He may stop it in the future, but he likes napping in the car, but in the Triumph, his head just lolls over to the side. Poor baby can't be comfy like that. Any seat helps with that... or is it a pipe dream.. or in year he'll be asking me 1,000 whys and never sleep again and not need sleepy head support?

Seat harnesses seem to have the buckle right at his... well... masculine parts. When I tighten the straps, it seems to put a lot of pressure on that area. Is that really all that safe? Is there a seat that's more little boy friendly with the buckle?

After reading around this forum I definately will do the rear facing seat until 35-40lbs. Also with the buzz about the Sunshine Kids Radian XLST, I went and looked at one. It seems nice with it's tall back, sturdy steel frame, easy to buckle straps and it seems to sit the lowest/closest to the seat. I'm tempted to buy it, but balking at the $300 price tag and how much space (from front to back) it seemed to take up when switched it for rear facing at the store. Am I correct to think it takes up a lot of horizontal space?

I could keep him in a cheaper seat like the Graco MyRide 65 or First Years True Fit and then get a forward facing seat when he's older.... probably be better ones by then anyways. But the Graco MyRide 65 base is as high as the Triumph from a visual reference. I haven't seen at TrueFit in person, but the picture here, http://carseatblog.com/?p=3054, makes it look pretty compact in hight and length.

Any suggestions, thoughts, and/or comments?

ADS

JerseyGirl'sMama

I understand what you are describing about getting your DS in and out of the car. Although the Radians have a tall shell, and would take up quite a bit of horizontal room, I think it would work well for you because it has such a low profile and doesn't have big bolstered sides that make it such a maneuver to get him in and out. It will take up a bit more room front to back than some other convertibles, because it has such a tall shell, but that tall shell, coupled with the high weigh limits (for both forward and rear-facing) are what will get your tall kiddo to a booster age, or if not, close to it. Is there any way you can go try out the install in your vehicle before you buy it? I think it might work great for you.

assemblage

Thanks for the info. I was hoping more experts like you would chime in and help me out since I'll get another seat this weekend and am curious about my other questions.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I think you would be happy with either the Radian or the TrueFit. The Radian does take up a lot of space front-to-back, but there's a thread around here on how to get it installed more upright (which is easier in some cars than others). I completely understand that a $300 pricetag is daunting, but there's a very good chance that this seat will last your son until he's ready for a booster. I don't think that either the Radian or the TrueFit is especially tight in the crotch area: the Radian comes with a belly pad that can be used as a cushion in sensitive areas if it's an issue.

aclayton74

I have a 2008 Pontiac G6. My Britax Marathon and Boulevard fit beautifully outboard and in the middle. When I sit in the passenger seat I have plenty of room.

armywife12

Can't help you out but if you go with the Radian seats, they are on sale at babycatalog.com and hipmonkey.com. Radian 65SL is $183 and Radian 80SL is $216 at babycatalog.com and you'll see the sale price after you put them in your cart ( i think they are still on sale there). Te Radian 65SL, 80S, and XTSL are all 20% off at hipmonkey.com with the 20THANKS promo code, bringing prices to $183, $215, and $238ish..all much easier to swallow than $300. I'm actually really thinking about getting the XTSL since it is only a bit more than th 80SL, one I was originally considering.

Maedze

You will probably be able to get a Radian rear facing in the center position in your car. Its low profile will prevent HBS (Head Bonk Syndrome ;)). Having it in the middle will allow you to sit next to your child as you buckle him in, which is a sight easier than bending over to do it from the outside, particularly in a low-to-the-ground vehicle.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You could also consider the Safety 1st Complete Air as well as the Radians and True Fit. It too has a tall shell, a 40 lb. rear-facing weight limit, a low profile, and it can sit more upright than the Radians, and while its list price is still rather expensive one color is reportedly down to $200 in Babies R Us stores, and with a 15% off coupon that come out every few weeks that would only be about $170. (Even with a 10% off coupon it would be $180.)

What you describe about his head falling to one side is not unusual, nor unsafe, nor in most cases even uncomfortable. Kids sleep in a lot of weird positions naturally; they are much more flexible than us. Usually we project our discomfort on them, they are not really uncomfortable that way. Unless he cries or complains it's not cause to worry. A seat with headwings close in might prevent it, but then again some kids don't like them at all. You could try rolling recieving blankets to make bolster-type pillows for either side of his head, but it's not unlikely that at his age he'll just throw them out, especially if he's tired.

The buckle being at his "masculine parts" is not an issue unless he complains, either. You might look for a seat with multiple crotch strap positions so you can move it out if it's really cramping him-- but be careful to read the directions as many seats have rules on which slots may be used rear-facing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC