please talk me out of it...

gecikuh

Senior Community Member
so for the new baby coming in a long long time i was planning to buy the $80ish crib that ikea has and a changing table that's just a changing table...so not planning to spend too much more than $100 on it.
i :love: the dresser/changing table combos. that's what we have in dd's room (which will be staying there)

then the babies r us flyer has to come today and they have a babi italia dresser/changing table for $476 (which seems insanely expensive to me) but from jan 1-3 you get the matching crib for freeeee! plus, there is a 15% off coupon... so crib and changer/dresser for like $406!

what do i do?!

ADS

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I think she is going to continue using her current crib/changing table for her current baby.:D

I believe that you get what you pay for so I would buy the stuff from BRU. IKEA is a nice place but there stuff is just not that high quality and for only $300 more you can get a nice set up!

(note: don't ever ask me to talk you out of buying anything)

gecikuh

Senior Community Member
I think she is going to continue using her current crib/changing table for her current baby.:D

I believe that you get what you pay for so I would buy the stuff from BRU. IKEA is a nice place but there stuff is just not that high quality and for only $300 more you can get a nice set up!

(note: don't ever ask me to talk you out of buying anything)

thanks! yes i'm not taking dd out of her crib before the baby will arrive. she will be almost 2, but i'm just not doing it. :eek: i don't think she'll be able to climb out by then either, she's pretty short, she barely reaches the top of it now.

yeah, i wasn't expecting to get a ton of use out of an ikea crib, just hoping it wouldn't fall apart with a baby inside...and thinking they probably wouldn't sell them if that was the case. but the BRU deal just seems really good, plus it's a crib that appears to convert to an actual bed..

TXDani

Senior Community Member
thanks! yes i'm not taking dd out of her crib before the baby will arrive. she will be almost 2, but i'm just not doing it. :eek: i don't think she'll be able to climb out by then either, she's pretty short, she barely reaches the top of it now.

yeah, i wasn't expecting to get a ton of use out of an ikea crib, just hoping it wouldn't fall apart with a baby inside...and thinking they probably wouldn't sell them if that was the case. but the BRU deal just seems really good, plus it's a crib that appears to convert to an actual bed..

Well if it converts to a bed later than I would in the end the BRU deal would really be a better deal. With IKEA you have a crib and changing table that are useless when the baby is done. With the BRU deal you will have a bed and a dresser to last through the years as the baby grows up.

And for the record my third child was born when my second was 21 months old. I kept my second child in the crib for a while after his brother came along. It is nice to have them still in a crib that is easy for bedtime and they are used to when you have a newborn to deal with.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Okay, i'm not a crib user, but I can see how you might need 2 cribs, that makes sense.
But why on earth would you(generic you, meaning anyone) need 2 changing tables? You can't possibly change more than one child at a time, can you? I can barely wrestle my one down for a change, LOL!!
the one that converts to a bed might be the better deal, if it fits into your future plan. for example, do you plan on them having separate beds? As opposed to say, a bunk bed? Or, do you think you might at some point like a loft bed of futon bed or daybed? Or would you use the crib-turned-bed forever? What size bed does it convert into? is you family tall? fo example, by 12, my stepsons need XT beds, they are so tall, or their feet hang over on a standard twin.

Kat_Momof3

I would do the BRU deal... if you decide NOT to use the cribs as beds down the line, you'll get back so much of the cost you paid when you sell them on craigslist.

and those dressers that are also changing tables are so nice because you can down the line use that changing table space for displaying dolls/toys or putting a TV/lamp, etc. on.

mom2juliarose

JCPenney has some REALLY nice cribs on clearance for $99 online and if you call and order via the phone, you can have it shipped to your local store for 99 cents (my coworker just did this yesterday).

Mama Jo

I'd go for the less expensive one. How much longer is your DD going to be in the crib she's in now and need the changing table? She'll be about 2 when the baby comes... so really what you need is something temporary for the baby until DD grows out of the crib and baby can have DD's stuff long-term.

Save the money on the crib and put it toward a nice "big girl" bedroom set for DD instead. The baby isn't going to know he has hand-me-down furniture, but DD will love to get something nice and new.

ETA: I've never used a changing table. Some people apparently love them, but I've never found a need for one. I bought one for DS, but it ended up just being a place to store my cloth diapers. I never once changed him on it. In the beginning, the crib mattress is high enough that it's easy to just change the baby there. I think I kept it up that high until he was maybe 4-ish months old. Otherwise, I lean over and change him over the rail in the bed if it's the middle of the night, or on the floor or on my bed wherever we happen to be during the day if he needs to be changed.

3plus2isme

Well personally I LOVE our Ikea crib :whistle: I thought I wanted a fancy crib and was all set to buy one but then decided on the Ikea Leksvik and matching armoire.

vonfirmath

If by dresser/changing table combo you mean a crib with the changing table attached -- that's a risk for helping the child climb out of the crib once they start doing it.

InternationalMama

Another vote here for the Ikea crib. We love ours. :) Plus ours converts to a toddler bed later too.

Also, what we did was we just got a really nice Ikea dresser and put a changing mat on top of it. Works great as a changing table and dresser and costs a fraction of the price. It even has a nice rim around it as if it was designed for a changing pad. :)

gecikuh

Senior Community Member
If by dresser/changing table combo you mean a crib with the changing table attached -- that's a risk for helping the child climb out of the crib once they start doing it.

nope, just dresser designed for putting changing table on top

But why on earth would you(generic you, meaning anyone) need 2 changing tables?

What size bed does it convert into?

well i would want a changing table for baby because i can't just go into dd's room while she is sleeping to change the baby... plus, it's also her dresser...which is what i like about them... i can keep using them when i'm done changing babies on them.

converts to a full size bed... my only thing is that i love to rearrange furniture and stuff and if i get tired of this bed before i even get to use it as a bed, well then i'll wish i would have just saved the money in the first place.

thanks for all the input on ikea cribs. i don't know anyone who has one so i didn't know what they were like at all. obviously i planned to go shake them when we go to ikea :) but it's still nice to hear from people who are using them.

Athena

I would look at the hardware and how it is constructed (on any crib, no matter the price).

If you are going to use the crib later as a bed, make sure you buy the siderails too!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC