3rd row vehicles

BabyKaykes

I can't find any sort of comprehensive list anywhere. I'm looking for a vehicle with a 3rd row. I want a van, but DF is super reluctant (not sure why, when he'll have his own car :rolleyes:). So I told him I'd look into other types of cars with a 3rd row and "consider" them. My only thing is it can't be HUGE. Example: the Suburban, Excursion, Expedition, etc.

Saturn Outlook
Ford Explorer
Land Rover

...what else is there?

And what's your favorite minivan? I'm really loving the Mazda5 right now. And the Venture

ADS

Bleahhhh! Sorry, other than the Outlook (which I'm fond of), I gagged at the Ford products. Yes, the Land Rover is a fancy Ford. I like the Range Rovers, but not the LR4 or LR2.

If you want Ford, I prefer the Edge or Flex. Not entirely Ford, but check out the Mazda CX-9.

I'm quite fond of the GMC Acadia/Chevy Outlook/Buick Enclave/Saturn Outlook.

Honda Pilot/Acura MDX are quite popular around here, and while I'm normally a Honda fan, I'd rather get one of the GM crossovers or the Mazda.

If you're able to afford a Land Rover, check out the Audi Q7. Infinitely better vehicle IMO.

I wouldn't recommend the Highlander. Technically 3 rows, but a bit too tight compared to what else is out there. Plus, it's kinda pricey relatively and not too attractive IMO.

For minivans, here's how I'd rank them:

1) Honda Odyssey (7 seater)/Toyota Sienna (8 seater)
2) Toyota Sienna (7 seater)/Honda Odyssey (8 seater)
3a) Kia Sedona
3b) Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Town&Country/VW Routan
4) Windstar (if you're looking used)
5) Chevy Venture and the other GM minivans (yes, the Chevy is dead last - shudder)

I'm quite fond of the Mazda5, but it's a LOT smaller than those other cars I mentioned.

The Rav-4 technically is a 3 row vehicle too, but it's small like the Mazda5. I like the sliding minivan doors on the Mazda better tho.

todzwife

We just purchased an 08 Subaru Tribeca. It has a 3rd row, although getting to it isn't easy if you have a car seat installed in both outboard positions. The seats flip easily though, so if you have a booster outboard that could be removed, it would be ok to get back there.

Legroom in the third row is pretty small. I'm short (5'2") and I could fit back there, but I don't know if I'd want to. It's more for little kids. The legroom in the second row with the second row moved back is decent. My 5'11" husband can fit there fine as well.

3 across in the second row isn't too bad. I can easily get a Marathon, Radian and scenera there. We don't have any huge seats so I don't know about those...
The seats are all very easy to install. I was amazed.

So far I'm very happy with it. I had an 07 Forester and the difference in size is wonderful for us.

I wanted a van, but DH wouldn't budge. He wanted another 5 seater (2010 Outback) and *I* wouldn't budge. So this was our compromise.

skaterbabs

For people hauling, my Suburban is great, and isn't nearly as bad on gas as you'd think. Lately I think I've been spending less than $35 a week on gas.

For people hauling, my Suburban is great, and isn't nearly as bad on gas as you'd think. Lately I think I've been spending less than $35 a week on gas.

The physical size of it rules it out for people living in more dense areas. OP seems to have ruled it out. A Suburban is ok is some parking areas of my local mall, but not others. It is just too long for some places. I sorta want one, but could never get it cuz we travel to San Francisco too often. DW's cousins rented one and drove it up to SF for our SF wedding. It was hilarious. Might as well have been driving an RV.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I am not a fan of domestic vehicles, so that will color my recommendations.

Toyota Highlander
Toyota 4Runner/Lexus GX
Toyota LandCruiser/Lexus LX
Toyota Sienna
Honda Pilot/Acura MDX
Honda Odyssey

skaterbabs

The physical size of it rules it out for people living in more dense areas. OP seems to have ruled it out. A Suburban is ok is some parking areas of my local mall, but not others. It is just too long for some places. I sorta want one, but could never get it cuz we travel to San Francisco too often. DW's cousins rented one and drove it up to SF for our SF wedding. It was hilarious. Might as well have been driving an RV.

Tell me about it. :whistle: Where I live some areas are easy as pie to park it. Others are horrid. (*cough* Carytown *cough*)

I think the Tahoe has a third row option though, and is shorter. You just lose the cargo space in the back. My sister had a Durango for a while and it had a third row as well.

aja

we're researching third row vehichles too. i recommend going to cars.com or similar and doing a search for your budget with the keywords third row. that's been a great help for me just for seeing what is out there. also, scouring the past posts in this forum cause there is so much good info!

D Dae

Love my Ford Flex, I swore I would never buy domestic, but it was the only vehicle we could find (that was not HUGE or a minivan), that allowed us to have two car seats installed outboard and still provide access to the third row. AWD was also important due to where we live.

I have to say this Ford is unlike any other domestic I have ever seen. I am not sure I would buy any other domestics, but the Flex has really won my heart.

BabyKaykes

Thanks everyone. I think I have a pretty good list. We borrowed a Santa Fe for the weekend and I really like it! The girls fit with room to spare next to DS's new Radian, and the seat folds great for 3rd row access if I'd ever need it. It reminds me of my aunt's MDX - only easier to get a seat in the 3rd row.

Right now we're looking at the Santa Fe, the Suzuki XL7, the Pilot, and DF has decided that he likes the Quest and will consider the MPV.

For the pp that mentioned the Suburban, I do a LOT of driving and already spend a ton on gas during the week. And I've driven a cousin's Suburban....it wasn't fun.

cookie123

I want a 3rd row seat, too, and the space of a suburban in my Tribute sized vehicle. I have someone to buy my Tribute, if I could just decide on a new car. But I can't. I want plenty of room for the occasions I have the grandkids, but I have to park in the tiniest places at work. Really, the Tribute is pushing it for that. So I don't know what to do. Plus I won't spend $40,000 on a vehicle. Really I'd like to keep it around $25,000. It'd also be nice if I could install my Radians ff because I hate booster seats!

I want a 3rd row seat, too, and the space of a suburban in my Tribute sized vehicle. I have someone to buy my Tribute, if I could just decide on a new car. But I can't. I want plenty of room for the occasions I have the grandkids, but I have to park in the tiniest places at work. Really, the Tribute is pushing it for that. So I don't know what to do. Plus I won't spend $40,000 on a vehicle. Really I'd like to keep it around $25,000. It'd also be nice if I could install my Radians ff because I hate booster seats!

Rav-4 or the Mazda5.

Amery523

We have a Honda Pilot and LOVE IT. The crash safety ratings for the Pilot are pretty good too, didn't discover that until I had bought it but was pleasantly surprised. The gas mileage isn't that much more than my CRV was, and my Pilot is a V6, whereas my CRV was a V4.

Thanks everyone. I think I have a pretty good list. We borrowed a Santa Fe for the weekend and I really like it! The girls fit with room to spare next to DS's new Radian, and the seat folds great for 3rd row access if I'd ever need it. It reminds me of my aunt's MDX - only easier to get a seat in the 3rd row.

Right now we're looking at the Santa Fe, the Suzuki XL7, the Pilot, and DF has decided that he likes the Quest and will consider the MPV.

For the pp that mentioned the Suburban, I do a LOT of driving and already spend a ton on gas during the week. And I've driven a cousin's Suburban....it wasn't fun.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC